PDA

View Full Version : Eat or not eat before GD/glucosa screen?

luckytwenty
08-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I am pretty sure one OB nurse told me I could "eat whatever I wanted" before the screen (which is at 9 am), but I had to call to ask another question, and the nurse I spoke with told me to fast from midnight before the screen until I got there and to drink the glucosa on an empty stomach.

What were you told to do? I vaguely remember having like a piece of plain toast or something before my screenings in the past--but they also had allowed me to do the drink at home an hour before my appointment with my other pregancies (different OBs each time)

lizzywednesday
08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I think it varies by practice and whether you're going for your 1 hour or your 3 hour.

I didn't do a 3-hour (did two 1-hour ones; the first at 9 weeks and the 2nd at 30-ish weeks) and, if I recall correctly for my friends and my sister, the 3-hour one was the fasting one.

FWIW, if that 1st one had been a fasting one, I'd have puked up the drink on the smoker who sat RIGHT NEXT TO ME in the lab waiting room where there were PLENTY of other seats, but I'm not b!tching.

Andi98989
08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
My OB told me to fast from midnight on for my 1 hour; I went in to the lab at 8 am. I went with the lemon-lime flavor and it was fine. I passed with flying colors.

I kept some saltines in the car to eat as soon as it was over.

o_mom
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
1 hr does not require fasting (that is lab protocol for the standard test - some OBs want you to anyway). I always had a high protein/fat snack before, like PB on whole wheat toast or an egg and passed easily with all three. Just don't eat something with a high sugar load.

marymoo86
08-12-2010, 02:13 PM
As luck would have it I just had mine done today. The handout my doc's office says that you can eat breakfast or lunch before appt but to avoid sugars and not eat/drink sugars after midnight prior to appt - including coffee.

My appt was this morning and I had high fiber/low sugar cereal with fruit.

It was the one hour test and I drank the orange drink a small cups worth - maybe 8 oz? Passed with no problems.

luckytwenty
08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks! I kind of got the feeling the nurse was confusing the 1 hr and 3 hr. I think I should be okay if I have a little plain toast or something.

logan's mom
08-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I was told that I could eat just not something sugary (no danishes, fruit juice, sweet cereals etc). I had chicken-minis and a diet lemonade from Chick-fila. My nurse was a little concerned that even thought the diet lemonade had Splenda that it would still cause some level of elevated glucose levels. I pass with flying colors....and surprisingly didn't vomit :bighand:

maiaann
08-12-2010, 05:37 PM
1 hr does not require fasting (that is lab protocol for the standard test - some OBs want you to anyway). I always had a high protein/fat snack before, like PB on whole wheat toast or an egg and passed easily with all three. Just don't eat something with a high sugar load.

That's what they told me. You can eat beforehand, but something light and balanced (I did PB on wheat toast). Avoid a super high carb meal.

daisymommy
08-12-2010, 09:38 PM
I just want to save anybody the trouble, who may not realize that you shouldn't anything that CONVERTS to sugar in your body either. That means carbohydrates and fruit! Before you test, have a breakfast of something like eggs and milk--but not with toast and fruit.

nicoleandjackson
08-13-2010, 09:58 AM

:yeahthat: Which, for example, should probably NOT be a Luna Bar washed down with a bottle of Snapple Green Tea (i.e., the Breakfast of Champions). This gets you a one-way ticket to the 3hr. fasting glucose test. :banghead:

Just sayin'.

Tanya
08-13-2010, 03:19 PM
My little handout from the OB says to fast for 2 hours, then I drink the icky orange drink and they'll test me 1 hour afterwards (which I have an ultrasound and OB appointment to pass the time).

I've never had to do the 3 hours test and I hope I don't have to this time either. I was concerned about fasting at all this time because I get lightheaded and a little sick if I don't eat protein regularly this pregnancy.

AnnieW625
08-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Both times I only had the 3 hr. glucose test and I was instructed not to eat or drink after midnight. Both times I did my test as early in the AM as possible. With DD2 I was able to drink water after the second blood draw at the end of hour one. I was actually done in less than 3 hrs.

JenaW
08-14-2010, 12:26 PM
You definitely need to fast for the 3 hour. However, I usually tell my pts NOT to fast for the one hour (unless for some reason we want a fasting level in additional to the one hour post-prandial level). Like a pp pointed out, you don't want to each anything that can be converted to sugars though. So no bagels, large glasses of juice, etc. I fasted (not intentionally, just happened that way) for my 1st one with DS and threw up about 12 minutes before my hour was over. I had to repeat the test again at later date. Ugh.