PDA

View Full Version : Lopsided

BabbyO
08-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Well, I think I could have put this post in BP just as easily as here, but I'm hoping some working moms can chime in with some suggestions.

I BFed for 13 mo. DS was weaned from his final feeding (AM) on Saturday morning. I knew that there might be some discomfort as I dried up, but I wasn't quite prepared for this. I'm finding myself especially surprised because when I cut down from 2 to 1 feedings I was only engorged for about 1 - 1.5 days.

So not only am I incredibly engorged and I have been since Sunday PM (thats going on 4 days now) but I'm engorged only on one side. Yep, left side is full, but ok, not too uncomfortable. Right side is making me want to scream. I actually feel like the skin is about to split (sorry...prolly tmi).

I've seen other posts that recommend cabbage leaves and ice packs...but I work full time and neither is really an option during the day. I did an ice pack last night, and one in the car on the way to work this morning (yeah, I got a few weird looks from the drivers in trucks sitting higher than me...so what it felt better for a little while).

Does anyone have any suggestions for easing the discomfort. Especially while at work. (I work in cube-ville...so I can't close a door). Furthermore...shouldn't this be going away soon....I don't know how many more days I can take!

longtallsally05
08-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Ouch! Sounds like your supply differed greatly from side to side, and on the engorged side the weaning process went a little too quickly. You might like the Gerber brand Breast Therapy gel packs. Freeze them first and then put one of them in your bra; rotate wearing/freezing the gel packs. It will be super obvious you are wearing a gel pack in your bra, so not a great look @ work, but you'll feel better.

FWIW, I'd express some milk and take some OTC painkillers (eg. ibuprofen or acetaminophen) to alleviate the pain of engorgement. Perhaps you need to express a few times a day and gradually cut back on that over a period of a couple of weeks, just to avoid engorgement. For me, engorgement always leads to plugged ducts & often to mastitis, so take care!

BabbyO
08-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I always forget about the Ibuprofen.

Unfortunately ice packs in the bra at work that are obvious will not work at all for me. I work with all men and it would be considered inappropriate.

I'm getting concerned about mastitis...its been 7 full days and no drop in the engorgement on the right side. No redness, but I think I may go buy a cabbage tonight on the way home and use it over the weekend!

Wondermom
08-13-2010, 01:53 PM
I'd pump off just a little if I were you. Then take decongestant or something like that that's a big no-no for BF moms to dry yourself out.

BabbyO
08-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Then take decongestant or something like that that's a big no-no for BF moms to dry yourself out.

Funny you should mention that. I had a cold earlier this week, and out of habit avoided taking any decongestant. DOH! If I'd remembered I could take it, I probably would be doing much better.