PDA

View Full Version : Why do you like your learning tower?

citymama
08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
So I'm still not getting why a learning tower is so great - why it's $200 better than pulling up a chair for your DC to help you fix dinner or whatever else. Why do you like yours?

smiles33
08-12-2010, 02:14 PM
The LT has been great for us. DD1 loves to help DH cook/bake and he doesn't sit at a kitchen table to do anything. Thus, she wanted to be right near him as he works on the counters. Before we got the LT, DD1 slipped off our kitchen chair and scared herself pretty well. She also was wobbly when using a regular stepstool.

I bought our LT used for $75 and it has been worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. I'm not sure I could swallow paying retail for it, but it's definitely worthwhile if you buy it used.

essnce629
08-12-2010, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't pay full price for the LT and I'm actually looking into the Kitchen Helper. With DS1 I couldn't see a reason for it. We had a gate on the kitchen and he was perfectly fine staying out. With DS2 it's a whole other story. If I lock him out he stands at the gate and screams the whole time I'm in the kitchen. If I let him in, half the time he wants me to hold him while I cook, etc. Twice I put him on a chair and he really liked that and was happy, but the second time, even though I was right next to him he managed to step off the chair and fall backwards on to the tile!!!! So scary for both of us and I don't think I'll be letting him up on a chair any time soon. Maybe if he was 3, but he's 14 months and needs something with sides to keep him contained.

TwinFoxes
08-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Both of my girls fit in one.

Our chairs are counter height, I don't want them that high.

DN fell off a stool and broke her arm in two places. It's pretty hard to fall off a LT.

The platform is adjustable so it will grow with them.

I wouldn't pay $200, I got my like new one for $80.

Oh, I got a deal on the easel too, which is a cool addition.

citymama
08-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the CL suggestion - looks like they're about $100 on our local CL.

I might keep looking till I find one for $75 or so. Sounds like it has a lot of uses! Our older DD has been helping in the kitchen on one of our sturdy old wooden chairs since about 2. But since puppet shows are one of her favorite things in the world, and we don't have anything for her to do shows with, AND it's a sturdy way for her to help in the kitchen AND we have a baby who will be able to get a lot of use out of it as a toddler, I'm thinking this will be a great addition!

wendibird22
08-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Super sturdy. I don't have to keep a hand on her or even be right next to her so I have some more freedom when cooking or doing dishes w/out worrying she'll fall off a chair.

The adjustable platform height allows me to keep lowering it as she gets taller so that she isn't able to reach knives or other things I don't want her to touch but yet still be high enough to help stir or be part of meal prep.

She climbs in and out with ease and at 30lbs even if she hangs off the side it doesn't even budge.

I know I didn't pay full price. I got it on sale from Target plus AAA was offering a discount and free shipping. DH was skeptical but even he now thinks it was worth every penny.

Melaine
08-12-2010, 08:38 PM
I already sent the OP a PM a the many things I love about it....but pp reminded me of something....even my DH, who is so NOT one for buying things, totally appreciates and likes the LT. He thinks it is worth the price and the space it takes up....and that is saying a whole lot!

wellyes
08-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Indoor jungle gym. DD has gotten up and in and out of that thing every way possible. Also, we have the easel and it's great. Just the right height for a 2 year old.

my DH, who is so NOT one for buying things, totally appreciates and likes the LT.

Mine too. At first I asked my DH to make me a Learning Tower. He does have right carpentry tools & know-how. He told me the wood and parts and time it would take would end up making it not a bargain at all vs. buying one off CL. I paid $80.

dukie41181
08-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Does anyone have the playhouse kit? I just bought a learning tower yesterday with the art easel but was looking into the playhouse kit for down the road. Hit or miss for your kids?

BayGirl2
08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
We just got our LT last week. DS is only 14 months (but a very steady stander) and I've been shopping for one for like a year now. I wanted the dark cherry and could not find a deal - ended up getting the Costco one with Playhouse kit. (Haven't used the kit, but it looks cuter than I expected)

For us, DS is under foot in the kitchen and it has become a safety issue and nuisance. Our kitchen and family room are connected so we wouldn't block him out, but he won't sit and play alone for long. Now he has his bowls and cups in his counter space and they occupy him while we do things. He loves the LT so much he does a little happy feet dance when he gets in it. Hopefully as he gets older we'll use it more for crafts and helping too - I tried to make play doh last night but he got bored. I would not trust him on a chair for a few more years, but he is very steady in the LT.

BayGirl2
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Does anyone have the playhouse kit? I just bought a learning tower yesterday with the art easel but was looking into the playhouse kit for down the road. Hit or miss for your kids?

Any deals out there on the easel? It looks really cute but I can't justify the $50+ prices I've seen.

WatchingThemGrow
08-17-2010, 08:40 PM
We have the Kitchen Helper folding version. It is made by Guidecraft (school furniture) and is just a touch *barely* smaller than the LT. Had to get folding one for our space. What I love is that it gives them a safe space to participate in whatever I'm doing. There is no stretching to lean really far and falling over. I can set it up away from the cooktop and DS2 climbs on IT and not near the heat. When I've got it out, all three DC make their way in and back out of it - like it is a path through the kitchen. Keeps them out of my hair if it is away from my workspace, or closer and safer if I DO want them involved.

wellyes
08-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Any deals out there on the easel? It looks really cute but I can't justify the $50+ prices I've seen.Target.com had it for $24 at Christmas last year. While we really like ours, I personally wouldn't pay retail for it. If you can't wait for the holidays I'd get this instead: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Step2-Easel-for-Two-Pink/11072579?dest=9999999997&sourceid=22048458230917642564&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

eta - oh, just saw you have a boy, if you don't want pink there is a red version for $30.

BayGirl2
08-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Target.com had it for $24 at Christmas last year. While we really like ours, I personally wouldn't pay retail for it. If you can't wait for the holidays I'd get this instead: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Step2-Easel-for-Two-Pink/11072579?dest=9999999997&sourceid=22048458230917642564&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY

eta - oh, just saw you have a boy, if you don't want pink there is a red version for $30.

Thanks. We can definitely wait. I really want the cherry one to match our LT, wish that had been part of the Costco deal instead of the play house set. Now I know to check Target around the holidays, I didn't even know they carried them.