PDA

View Full Version : Which nursing pillow?

triple_j
08-12-2010, 02:26 PM
OK, so I just found out that I am having twins in December! Boys. Identical. DS will just have turned 2. Terrified? Yes.

Anyhow, I totally want to BF. I hated the Boppy with my first son. Got a My Brest Friend and absolutely loved it. Will use that if feeding singly, but want to try to tandem feed. Anyone have experience with either of these 2 pillows:

My Brest Friend Twins Plus
The EZ-2 Nurse Twins Feeding Pillow

Also, where in the world did you SIT to feed!?! No way these pillows will fit in a glider (dangerous too) but I absolutely need back support to BF.

Thank you in advance!

twowhat?
08-12-2010, 04:50 PM
I used the EZ-2-nurse pillow for 18 months for my girls. So that tells you it was definitely worth it for me:) Tandem feeding was the key to keeping me sane as well - that meant waking the other twin when one woke to eat because eventually it forced them onto the same schedule which really is a sanity saver.

There are several tricks to using the pillow. First, yes you need something bigger than a glider. I nursed on a chair-and-a-half that was in the nursery, bought specifically for this purpose. Others just nurse on the couch. For back support, it's critical that you get something for your feet - a nursing stool or low ottoman or even a couple of firm pillows to put your feet on. The nursing stool was great for me because of that angle - I felt like it kept everything nicely in alignment. For your actual back - here's what I did. I used the small back pillow that comes with the nursing pillow and put that at the small of my back. Then I put a big throw pillow on top of it. That allowed me to rest my entire back and relax (and even fall asleep that way which is how I got several hours of sleep the first few months, though I dunno how you'll do this with a 2yo!!). Adjust the nursing stool closer towards you or farther away to change the angle of your knees, which will support the front of the pillow. When the babies are small, you'll need extra towels or small pillows to tuck here to position them.

One tip I heard that was really neat for when they are small - on a 3-cushion couch, remove the center cushion and sit there. The cushions on either side will help elevate and support the pillow.

Good luck!!!

dowlinal
08-14-2010, 10:52 PM
I loved my EZ 2-nurse pillow too. I usually nursed my boys in the middle of my bed with pillows on both sides of us and a ton of pillows behind me too. I had some stiff pillows that us used behind me for extra support. I also nursed in the middle of our couch. To be honest, I didn't end up tandem nursing that much. In the begining, one of my boys just wasn't a good enough nurser and needed constant repositioning. Then once we got it going, I wasn't making enough milk for two, so I started tandeming at night, but nursing only one at each feeding during the day.

iggy_saurus
09-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I found it very difficult to tandem feed my twins. I had EZ-2 Nurse pillow. I would set up on the couch with the back pillow removed. The EZ-2 Nurse comes with a mini-pillow inset that I put behind my back for support. Then I would put the couch pillow on top of that to support my upper back and shoulders.
However, I couldn't get the boys set-up to nurse if I was alone. Either one or the other would roll off the edge of the pillow. Once the boys could get themselves set up, then I could sit on the couch (or the floor and lean against the couch) and they could sit up on either side of me and nurse.

So until 6 months I only tandem-fed them when they boys were desperate to nurse and my mom or husband was around to help position them.

lovebebes
09-10-2010, 08:28 PM
I dont know if you would consider this information useful, but just in case:

the below link is where my research led me when i was reading up on my brest friend that i wanted to buy.

http://www.puremothers.com/?p=1376

I just ordered the organic Blessed Nest pillow today and can post what I think about it after it gets here. Ive also used Boppy previously and one other no name pillow which i really liked but assume was treated as well.

Congratulations on your twins!:love-retry:

PGTB
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I dont know if you would consider this information useful, but just in case:

the below link is where my research led me when i was reading up on my brest friend that i wanted to buy.

http://www.puremothers.com/?p=1376

I just ordered the organic Blessed Nest pillow today and can post what I think about it after it gets here. Ive also used Boppy previously and one other no name pillow which i really liked but assume was treated as well.

Congratulations on your twins!:love-retry:

I read similar stuff before purchasing my own Nesting pillow from Blessed Nest. the nesting pillow is great, but it's too floppy and I didn't find it as easy to use for a tiny newborn with the latching problems. I use it still sometimes for night time feedings, I just keep it in my bed and then slide it out to nurse. I pretty much just use it for elbow support, I didn't find it comfortable to actually put DS on it without it losing its shape. I found our couch pillows (I have IKEA alongated ones) to be more comfortable for a wiggly newborn to be honest. I did end up buying the dreaded MyBreast Friend as I was desperate and it helped a bit at first. I don't use it anymore as DS is alredy 4.5 months and can almost sit up when nursing.

I bought organic cover and put it on top of the existing cover for the MyBreast Friend to limit exposure to the polyurethane foam. I think, mainly, I was so desperate and had soooo many issues with BF and was in so much pain that I just overlooked the entire flame retardant stuff at that point... and I was REALLY REALLY paranoid about that stuff!

lovebebes
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
I read similar stuff before purchasing my own Nesting pillow from Blessed Nest. the nesting pillow is great, but it's too floppy and I didn't find it as easy to use for a tiny newborn with the latching problems. I use it still sometimes for night time feedings, I just keep it in my bed and then slide it out to nurse. I pretty much just use it for elbow support, I didn't find it comfortable to actually put DS on it without it losing its shape. I found our couch pillows (I have IKEA alongated ones) to be more comfortable for a wiggly newborn to be honest. I did end up buying the dreaded MyBreast Friend as I was desperate and it helped a bit at first. I don't use it anymore as DS is alredy 4.5 months and can almost sit up when nursing.

I bought organic cover and put it on top of the existing cover for the MyBreast Friend to limit exposure to the polyurethane foam. I think, mainly, I was so desperate and had soooo many issues with BF and was in so much pain that I just overlooked the entire flame retardant stuff at that point... and I was REALLY REALLY paranoid about that stuff!

thanks so much for your feedback. to be honest i was really afraid to order the Blessed Nest because well its so darn $$. I have not received it yet and Im very nervous to see if Im going to like it.
I've never had MBF but before I read about the flame retardants I was pretty set on getting it because I really like the idea of it attaching to me-I thought that would feel really nice and secure. I also thought that a firmer surface such as MBF would be nice for positioning baby (though a few moms since then told me they didnt like it?). Anyway...the flame retardant stuff was upsetting to read about. I know there are times we cant escape it such as car seats, or like try to find a bouncy chair thats not treated with it...but I felt like at least with the nursing pillow I wanted to have peace of mind that there is none of it in there.
I know I took a big risk with the Blessed Nest and that I may not like it...Im just crossing fingers and hoping I do like it.
If I dont..im going to have to do what you did-and will probably get the MBF.

triple_j
09-27-2010, 10:53 AM
hhmmmm... I had never heard of the Blessed Nest. Just checked out the website.

One of the issues I had with the boppy and ONE baby was that it didn't provide enough support. This looks like it would be even more difficult to situate --especially with two babies. Would love to hear from anyone who has actually used the Blessed Nest with 2.

I think I am going to go with the EZ 2 Nurse unless I hear of anything better out there!

Thanks ladies!

tlnt
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Just doing a quick search for organic latex nursing pillow:
http://www.shopwiki.com/Natural+Organic+Nursing+Pillow

There seems to be some out there.

mikala
09-29-2010, 11:14 AM
I used a Boppy and a My Brest Friend (what a horrible product name!!) but got a chance to use the Blessed Nest when I needed to nurse at a friend's house. I have no idea how it would be for tandem nursing but it absolutely rocked for a single babe. I was soooo close to buying it at the time but couldn't swallow the price when I already owned pillows that worked well enough. I liked it well enough to suggest one even for the times when you're just nursing one at a time.

lovebebes
09-29-2010, 11:47 AM
My Blessed Nest pillow is here and my first impression is that Im going to LOVE using it.

It looks to be very well made. I put it around my (non existent) waist and it feels nice and conforms. I could see how it would be easy to position baby on top and the pillow will cradle them.

I will be able to give more concrete feedback in about a month:love-retry: