PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Center?

minandjam
08-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone if planning on birthing at a birth center? We just recently toured the Wilmington Birth Center and got some really good vibes! Anyone interested in sharing experiences (good or bad) feelings, pros and cons!?!?!?

daisymommy
08-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I had DD at a birthing center, and it was a nice half-way experience between DS#1 who was born in the hospital, and DS#2 who was born at home. It was much more homey than the hospital, and relaxed, I was able to have the natural birth I really wanted. That said, out of the 3, the home birth was the best by a mile.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
I had ds2 at a free standing birth center and it was a wonderful experience! I lucked out and went into labor late on a Friday night so it was truly awesome as we had the place to ourselves. It was quiet, peaceful, calm and just a great place to have a baby. I labored in the tub, took walks around the halls and relaxed on the queen bed. And at no time was anyone intrusive- they did what they needed to do like check baby's heartbeat via doppler at certain intervals- but otherwise I was allowed to labor in peace with only dh, an RN and the CNM present. All of the technology was stowed away unless needed so you didn't feel like a patient. During the birth and pp experience neither baby or I was poked with any needles and it was just such a natural experience. I stayed there 7 hours postpartum which was enough time to eat breakfast, shower, fill out paper work, take a nap and cuddle with the baby.

The only drawback was that you could risk out and I stressed about that from time to time during my pregnancy, especially when 42 weeks was approaching. I knew the CNMs would do a hospital birth but I chose the practice for the birth center. Luckily all was fine. Most births and pregnancies are healthy and low risk.

I had toyed with the idea of homebirth but the birth center was easy and convenient. If I have more I am leaninng towards the birth center again vs a homebirth just b/c I loved it so much.

Beth

dukie41181
08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
I had my daughter at a freestand birth center and plan to do it again with daughter #2 (due in November). It was truly the BEST experience! I had all my prenatal appointments, birth classes and prenatal massages at the birth center so it became somewhere I was incredibly comfortable and familiar with. I labored in the tub and my daughter was born into the water. It was so awesome to feel relaxed the entire time with just my husband and my CNMs. I would recommend it to anyone who is having a healthy, normal, low-risk pregnancy! Never in my life have I felt to intimately connected to as the AMAZING midwives who helped care for and delivery my daughter! :heartbeat: :love2::love-retry:

minandjam
08-12-2010, 10:59 PM
I think we are going to go the only free standing birth center in Delaware. When we went for the tour we got a wonderful feel about the place and liked the staff. We came from a fantastic reproductive doctor's office who gave us such great individual care that I think we really need a more homey and loving enviroment rather then just being a # at a doctor's office. I really love that you can birth and labor in the best position for you and the baby. The birth center that is in Delaware has 3 rooms and a really nice kitchen/dining area and living room so you can have family there but not actually watching the birth. They also encourage you to make a celebration dinner....(well not really the birth mom but the family)

For those of you who did the water birth-was the water really warm? I know it has to be between 95 degrees and 101 degrees but I just think that it is really warm and I might get too warm.

Is anyone from Delaware?

brittone2
08-15-2010, 04:23 PM
My 2nd child was born at a freestanding birth center. It was a great experience. I ended up having a homebirth for #3 but it was a tough decision as I really enjoyed the birth we had at the FSBC. I went home 4 hours after DD's uncomplicated birth and it was so nice to do so. In our case, the birth center also sent out a nurse practitioner to your home to check on mom and baby 2 days post partum (that's when they did the metabolic screening test). It was great not having to leave home for a few days. At that birth center moms were encouraged to stay at least 4 hours after the birth before being discharged and could stay up to 12ish hours. If they wanted to stay longer than that, they generally had to transfer care.

Most transfers they have are for first time moms who are fatigued and or want an epidural. The staff was trained in neonatal resuscitation, and there was a major university medical center about 10 mins away if that.

I believe it was the same FSBC that Snugglebuggles had her DS at :)

They can be a fantastic option. They aren't all run the same way, but if you are interested, you can certainly find out more. Every facility has its own polices and procedures.

dukie41181
08-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I think we are going to go the only free standing birth center in Delaware. When we went for the tour we got a wonderful feel about the place and liked the staff. We came from a fantastic reproductive doctor's office who gave us such great individual care that I think we really need a more homey and loving enviroment rather then just being a # at a doctor's office. I really love that you can birth and labor in the best position for you and the baby. The birth center that is in Delaware has 3 rooms and a really nice kitchen/dining area and living room so you can have family there but not actually watching the birth. They also encourage you to make a celebration dinner....(well not really the birth mom but the family)

For those of you who did the water birth-was the water really warm? I know it has to be between 95 degrees and 101 degrees but I just think that it is really warm and I might get too warm.

Is anyone from Delaware?

I had a water birth and didn't find the water to be too hot at all and frankly, I never even knew the water tempature specifically. It was warm but not too warm and felt great. I very much hope to be able to do it again this time!

I'm from MI, not DE, but glad to hear about other freestanding birth centers out there! :)

minandjam
08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
The Delaware Birth Center has a nurse that comes out and spends at least an hour or two with you and the baby at your home (no matter where you live) two days after the birth....she will just help you nurse and answer questions and just really make you comfortable. They offer lots of classes so for free and other for a set cost. The water birth cost $150 extra to "reserve" the room. They don't want money to be a reason you don't have the birth you want so they will negotiate/waive the fee if necessary....same thing with the classes. I just thought that was great since money is always an issue for us.

I'm so excited about this baby I can hardy keep it all together!!:yay::yay:

I love looking at all the ultrasounds....we have 4 right now but when we transfer to the birth center we are going to go through withdrawal! :hysterical:

Thanks to everyone who responded!

dukie41181
08-15-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm so excited about this baby I can hardy keep it all together!!:yay::yay:

I love looking at all the ultrasounds....we have 4 right now but when we transfer to the birth center we are going to go through withdrawal! :hysterical:

Thanks to everyone who responded!

When are you due? I know what you mean about the ultrasounds! We also worked with an RE to conceive daughter #1 and were spoiled with lots of ultrasounds!

essnce629
08-16-2010, 03:26 AM

I used to be a volunteer doula in a hospital birth center and the midwives there said the water was allowed to get up to 102 degrees. You just don't want your body temperature going over 102. When I was pregnant with DS2 I started having non-stop contractions at 26 weeks and to calm them down I'd take a daily epsom salt bath from 26 weeks till I gave birth at 38 weeks. I'd check the water temp when I'd get in and I preferred the water to be 102 degrees. I've had two waterbirths at home and the water was pretty warm both times. I would think 95 degrees would be too cool since your body tempurature alone is around 98.6 and you'd need the water to be warmer than that to feel warm and fully relax.

minandjam
08-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I just realized I never put a signature on this site.

Thank you for all your responses. We have a lit of thinking and figuring out.....so many decisions.....but I'm not complaining :applause::applause: