PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Get Rid of Things!

kransden
08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
I need a pep talk!
I am trying to downsize my clutter. For instance. I have a bundt cake pan. I have never made a bundt cake in my entire life and I am 44. It needs to go, but I hesitate. How many extra/old towels do I need?

Please inspire me to be more practical with my possessions. I need some help!

maiaann
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM
I need a pep talk!
I am trying to downsize my clutter. For instance. I have a bundt cake pan. I have never made a bundt cake in my entire life and I am 44. It needs to go, but I hesitate.

I love it! I have a few of those items too! :bighand:

I'm not very good at downsizing either, so I'm curious to see what others day!

crl
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Just get rid of that stuff. It's not like you can't buy it again if you suddenly become a prize-winning baker who desperately needs a bundt pan for the state fair.

Did that help?

Catherine

KrisM
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Get rid of it. You'll feel better having the clutter gone. You'll help someone else who wants to make a Bundt cake :).

Once you start, it's easy to purge. I'm making a weekend of it this weekend. I have boxes and bags ready to go. But, I started 18 months ago and I started by taking 3 garbage bags a day and walking around the house. I'd either do trash or donate and I'd walk around for 10-15 minutes (whatever the kids gave me) and fill the bags as quickly as I could. This helped declutter quickly and it gave me less time to debate with myself.

If you ever decide you need to make a Bundt cake, I bet you could buy another pan or borrow one from a friend.

wellyes
08-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm going through a purge right now. I'm not sorting and organizing, I'm not planning a garage sale or putting up CL ads, I'm just giving away or throwing away box after box. It is SO satisfying. So satisfying. I'm tired of being burdened by stuff that I don't use, that doesn't make make my life better.

Decluttering links: http://zenhabits.net/zen-mind-how-to-declutter/

Uno-Mom
08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Dealing with something similar re baby gear... DD has just reached the stage where she's outgrowing some bulky stuff like her swing & bouncer (not to mention piles of clothes).

My approach? Wait 'til I'm so annoyed at the clutter and lack of storage space that I do a cost of replacing vs annoyance of keeping comparison. Once I hit the point that i'd rather pony up the money for a new thingumy than store it one more minute (in the unlikely event that I ever need one) out it goes!

ncat
08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm trying to go with the idea that if I haven't used something in 2-5 years, then I probably never will. What is hardest are quasi-sentimental items, like practical items that were wedding gifts from now diseased family friends. Do I really need odd sizes of Corningware that I never use to remember Aunt Edie by? I am getting better at applying this rule to clothes.

Unlike you, I do use my bundt pan a few times a year.

happymom
08-12-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm trying to go with the idea that if I haven't used something in 2-5 years, then I probably never will.

:yeahthat:

resipsaloquitur
08-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Something that has helped me with the sentimental stuff-
I take a photo of it and store the photo on my computer. It is almost the same as having the item. I do this with DS's art work too. I save only the most precious pieces (maybe 10 a year) and the rest goes to photo on the computer.

DrSally
08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Let your kids use the bunt pan in their sandbox. I take old towels and throw them in a rag bin. I suppose you could also donate them to an animal shelter.

DebbieJ
08-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm trying to go with the idea that if I haven't used something in 2-5 years, then I probably never will. What is hardest are quasi-sentimental items, like practical items that were wedding gifts from now diseased family friends. Do I really need odd sizes of Corningware that I never use to remember Aunt Edie by? I am getting better at applying this rule to clothes.

Unlike you, I do use my bundt pan a few times a year.

My rule of thumb is 1 year. If I haven't used it in the last year, it's gone!

niccig
08-13-2010, 12:44 AM
I do the "when did I use this last" and I look at how much room I have for storage. I have one rubbermaid tote for old towels in the garagae - once it's full, towels get donated.

KrisM
08-13-2010, 08:54 AM
My rule of thumb is 1 year. If I haven't used it in the last year, it's gone!

I've tried that, but it's too strict for me. I have a box of cake decorating supplies and some cakes don't require every tip to be used. So, often a tip sits unused for a couple years. But, they fit in the box, so more room to store them isn't required, so I keep them.

Another example is the pan for making a turkey. I only host Thansgiving every other year. I only use that pan on that day. But, I'm not buying a new one every 2 years :).

Otherwise, I purge it. Just wanted to point out some examples to the OP about keeping somethings, but it has to make sense.

bigpassport
08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
I did a kitchen declutter a few weeks ago and it felt sooooo good. I mean, how many Big Gulp cups does a person really need? For me its more of a how much space does this take up vs. how often have I really used the thing? Also factored in is how expensive it is. Lots of glass vases went to the thrift store but I kept the panini press I rarely use. My vote: donate the bundt pan and old towels (keep a just a few). Good luck OP!

lil_acorn
08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
start with the two year rule (it's supposed to be 1 but maybe you'll feel better if you expand it to 2) - if it hasn't been used / worn in 2 years, out it goes!

We seriously need to do this with our basement. I'm so excited to get rid of all the baby stuff when we are done.