PDA

View Full Version : so tempted to take a mini road trip during the 3rd trimester ?

brgnmom
08-12-2010, 10:12 PM
I recently started my third trimester, and I'm wondering whether it would be crazy to take a mini road trip from LA to San Diego with my DS. My DH would be several hours away attending his childhood friend's wedding.... I guess I don't want to be "stuck at home" and I'm hoping to do something memorable with my DS. Do you think it's too risky?

I tested negative for gestational diabetes and my low-lying placenta moved up somewhat, so it's not a placenta previa and I'm not on bed rest. My OB recommends an ultrasound closer to my due date just to confirm that my placenta has moved up fully.

SD is about a two hour-drive from LA, I think. I'm trying to come up with other fun things to do with my DS who recently turned 4 years old. We've already been to Disneyland. Thank you in advance!

GonnaBeNana
08-12-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't see why not. Enjoy and have fun.

Beth

KrisM
08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Two hours is no big deal, IMO. Just make sure you stop every 30 minutes or so and move around. I went on a 2.5 hour drive at 38 weeks and only stopped once and was very, very sore in my joints.

TwinFoxes
08-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Have you thought about taking the train? The drive to SD can be close to 3 hours with traffic. The train would let you walk around and stretch when you need to (and pee!) The train itself might be fun for DS. Also, I know from your earlier posts that MIL wants you to drive up for the wedding. If you road trip by yourself to SD I see issues! Even though SD isn't nearly as far as the Bay Area.

luckytwenty
08-13-2010, 06:47 AM
I don't think of 2 hours as a road trip at all--I think that's fine (as long as there are rest stops on the way!) Enjoy the wedding.

ohiomom1121
08-13-2010, 08:05 AM
I took a road trip to NY for a friend's wedding in my 3rd trimester and it was fine! I'd say go have fun.

lil_acorn
08-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Do it! I flew to the bahamas at Wk 34...

SnuggleBuggles
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
LA to SD? That's not very far. I wouldn't have any problems with it. I traveled in my 3rd trimester until like 36w and in hindsight I should have done even more since neither boy came till after 41w. I unnecessarily sequestered myself with ds1 for the "what if" factor so I didn't do it for ds2.

Beth

carochinha
08-13-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm a month away from due date and we still drive from NYC to PA every weekend and save for NYC potholes, it's fine. At 33 weeks, we drove to a friend's wedding from NYC to Vermont - 8 hours each way. The plain bed pillow for my back and a few stops to stretch was all it took. Do what you want within your limits and trust your instincts. We already have our Thanksgiving flights booked when the baby will be two months. Have fun!

Andi98989
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
I went on a road trip 3 hours away the week before my due date. My doctor was fine with it. We all agreed that if I started feeling crummy, we'd head back. As she said, if something really crazy were to happen on the way back, there are hospitals between there and here. :)

Tondi G
08-13-2010, 11:25 PM
I would do it! Legoland is about 30 minutes closer than San Diego proper and it will be a fun/memorable thing to do with your DS before the baby comes!

nfowife
08-15-2010, 10:41 AM
we are tentatively planning to drive 8 hours each way for Thanksgiving, about a month before my due date. I'm not worried.

AnnieW625
08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Are you going to be able to handle your 4 yr. old at a theme park by yourself? We were originally going to take DD1 to Legoland before DD2 was born but we never made it. I don't know if I would've been able to handle it without DH though.

I took a plane trip to Sacramento from LA when I was 32 weeks pregnant with DD1 and I was fine with it. My friends who I was visiting though were a little uneasy and I basically told them that if I went into labor I'd be in my hometown and I'd deliver at the local hospital where my brother and sister were born, and I would've had one of three doctors deliver my baby (one delivered my brother, one delivered my sister, and I wasn't sure of the third, but I knew he'd been around a while too).

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2010, 02:47 PM
I did Legoland when pg. I had an easy, healthy pg with ds2 and there wasn't anything slowing me down at the park. I was able to ride a lot too!

Beth