PDA

View Full Version : sweeping the membranes

ewpmsw
08-12-2010, 10:21 PM
So, does sweeping the membranes work, or has that been ruled out? The midwife discouraged it with DD #1, but I think she said it was because I wasn't past my due date at the time. Her office's Ob was for it today (DD #2), when there was no midwife for me to ask. Being the impatient, learn-everything-the-hard-way woman I am, I went for it. (Wowch.) So far, nothing. Anyone had success with sweeping the membranes? I feel kind of silly for doing it now...

GonnaBeNana
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM
It worked the only time I had it done. With DC #3. My midwife swept my membranes on a Monday afternoon. She told me to go home, have a nice dinner, take two sleeping pills and a nice hot bath, and that she'd see me in the morning to have the baby. I thought, "sure, whatever." Sure enough, our DD was born at 7:07 Tuesday morning! I'd say it worked for me.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
08-12-2010, 10:28 PM
my OB did it at my 38 week appt, and the very next day i started going into labor (DS was born the day after that). so in my case, it worked i guess.

citymama
08-12-2010, 10:43 PM
Hated it. It sorta worked in my case. I was 11 days past due date with dd1 and facing an induction on day 14. So I "agreed" to my midwife sweeping the membranes. They did it 2 or 3 times that day and I did go into labor that night. But the labor progressed so slowly and erratically, I feel like my body wasn't ready for it yet and the sweeping helped bring it on, but didn't sustain it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I used to host a labor board and frequently asked people their success rates with it. 20-40% was the success rate I got out of about 100 moms.

I had it done with ds1 and went into labor 2 days later, I was 41w5d. My water broke at the onset of labor and I always wonder if the m.s. was to blame. Didn't hurt, no biggie. I had researched risks (infection, cramping, spotting, getting my hopes up...) and benefits (working within 72 hours) and went for it.

Had it done at around 41w3d and was in labor hours later. The CNM who did it has a reputation in the birth community in my city for having good success. No water breaking this time.

Beth

wendibird22
08-13-2010, 09:27 AM
Worked for me for DD2. Membranes swept at 3pm and I was in labor the next morning. I was 38wk 5d. I've heard that if you body is ready for labor it'll work and if not, it won't.

Andi98989
08-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Had it done 2-3x. No go. I was actually contracting, they did it, and I stopped contracting. They said it was the first time they'd seen that happen!

boltfam
08-13-2010, 06:25 PM
It worked for me! I was really nervous when my OB said that he would sweep them, because I heard it REALLY hurts. It wasn't really painful at all, though. I went into labor 2 days later; I was already dilated to like a 4, though.

maiaann
08-13-2010, 07:21 PM
I had it done twice (DD1 & DD2). I found it EXTREMELY painful and it was unsuccessful in both cases.

AnnieW625
08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
had it done with DD2 but I didn't even realize that was what my ob was doing, I thought he was just measuring me, and thought wow that was more painful than the measurement I had with DD1. He told me I was less than 2 cm dialated. My water broke 7 hrs. later. I was 38 weeks 5 days, and delivered DD2 16 hrs. after membranes were stripped.

Staraglimmer
08-14-2010, 01:43 AM
I had it done twice (DD1 & DD2). I found it EXTREMELY painful and it was unsuccessful .
:yeahthat:
I thought that it really,really hurt. MY OB did it at least 3 times. I found it Ito be very painful, I also experienced spotting. I have no idea if it worked. DD was 9 days late.

swissair81
08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I've never had it done & I wasn't planning on it for this time either.

katydid1971
08-14-2010, 11:12 PM
DS#1 was late so my OB did it. It was so painful and didn't work.

ewpmsw
08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, it hasn't worked so far, and I had it done Thursday. I guess my body and baby just weren't ready to go.

sste
08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Our doula recently told us that there is research indicating that three times in three consecutive days is the ideal schedule for membrane-sweeping.

Also, she thought in terms of non-harmful intervention it was second only to sex/sperm (and better than intense nipple stimulation, for example with a breast pump).

That said, I think dh and I are holding off until we are due or overdue before trying that due to the discomfort issue and wanting the baby to come when "its time" - - though that is easy to say at almost 38 weeks, when I am 40 weeks I will be howling IT IS TIME and will def. consider!

MamaMolly
08-17-2010, 12:39 AM
I had it done at 38 weeks and YEOCH it was uncomfortable. Lost the mucous plug (barf, barf, barf) but that was it. I wouldn't do it again. Wasn't worth it in my case.