PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip for camp counselors?

maydaymommy
08-13-2010, 10:04 AM
It's the last day of camp, and I believe its fairly expected that there will be tips.

DS1 did camp at his preschool, from 9 - 1, for about 7 weeks. There were 3 adult, lead counselors, 2 CITs who were young teens, and also 2 young volunteers with his bunk. We don't do a bunk-wide gift, I suppose since kids go for all different amounts of days and weeks.

I always feel awkward giving money to teachers. I got the Leads and the camp director XL wet bags from Etsy, because they swim everyday and I think they liked the one ds had. I'll still give them those but I'm feeling lame for not just giving money.
Eventhough I spent on the wet bags, I can't just give them $10 each, so I'm thinking $20 for the three leads, $15 for CITs, and $10 for volunteers.

I don't remember ever getting a tip as a day camp counselor myself, but I worked at one overnight camp where the tips were lavish, and one where they were not allowed.

So, what kind of camp does your dc go to and how do you tip/gift at the end?

janeybwild
08-13-2010, 10:18 AM
I've never tipped for camp and didn't realize this was expected. Are these paid workers or volunteers? Perhaps its a regional thing. I'm curious how you know it's expected in your area?

kristenk
08-13-2010, 10:23 AM
I've never tipped for any of DD's camps and I was never tipped as a camp counselor. I guess it could be regional, but I've never heard of it around here.

goodnightmoon
08-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I've never heard of tipping for camp counselors either, not at our local YMCA or pre-school camps...

maydaymommy
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I know it's expected because they send out a note listing the names of all the counsellors and volunteers. It's worded tactfully, like anything you want to give is fine, if you chose to, or something like that.

All positions are paid, except volunteers.

SnuggleBuggles
08-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I didn't tip either but I guess for 7 weeks you might do what you'd do for teachers, just to a lesser amount. I am a fan of gift cards rather than gifts b/c I don't want to add to clutter or give them something they might not want or need (especially where teenagers are involved). A $5-10 movie card or ice cream store card would be appropriate imo. You'd be ok without anything too.

BEth

pinkmomagain
08-13-2010, 11:04 AM
In the day camp my two youngest went to this year, I tipped the lead teacher $20 and the asst counselors $10 each. I'm pretty sure not every parent at this camp tips, but many do. In the day camp my oldest goes to, they specifically indicated no tipping allowed.

My sister is a head teacher at a day camp this summer and she is sure as heck expecting tips!

Perhaps it is a regional thing. In NY, most tip.

wendibird22
08-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Perhaps it is a regional thing. In NY, most tip.

Perhaps that's downstate NY? I'm in upstate NY and DH and I both worked for summer camps in former lives and never ever got tipped.

luckytwenty
08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
We gave everyone, whether CIT or head counselor, a $10 GC to Barnes & Noble. Honestly, those kids work as hard as the counselors do, and they don't get paid. I wish we could have given more, but 2 kids x 5 counselors each is a lot of people to tip.

Green_Tea
08-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I have never heard of tipping camp staff. I worked as both a CIT and a counselor for many years, and never received a tip.

Corie
08-13-2010, 12:34 PM
I have never heard of tipping for day camps. I wouldn't do it.

garnetgirl
08-13-2010, 12:42 PM
I've never heard of tipping at camp, and this is the fourth year we've participated.

hobie
08-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Tipping for camps is news to me.

pinkmomagain
08-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Perhaps that's downstate NY? I'm in upstate NY and DH and I both worked for summer camps in former lives and never ever got tipped.

Yeah, I guess so!

ilfaith
08-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I know that way back when I was going to camp in the NYC/NJ area my parents always gave the counselors a tip at the end of the summer. BUT back when I went to camp we'd be at the same camp all summer long. These days (at least where I live) most kids do a week or two at various specialty camps (tennis, science, gymnastics, zoo). Obviously if you send your kids to several camps, each for a short duration, tipping everyone would get expensive.

boolady
08-13-2010, 02:23 PM
I was a counselor at a camp in NJ for several summers, all summer, and don't remember ever getting a tip.

LD92599
08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
This definitely seems to be an east coast thing, maybe even specifically ny metro. I worked at a camp in lower ny one summer and tips were expected; every single family did tip (in my group.). Tips were nearly more than the wages!