PDA

View Full Version : What activities are your kids signed up for this Fall?

Corie
08-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm curious to see what activities your kids are signed up for this Fall.

It's getting harder and harder to juggle everyone's sports/activities/clubs.

Daughter, 3rd grade, age 8
Soccer (practice 2x a week, game 1x a week)
Musical Theater (once a week)
Brownies (once a week)

Son, kindergarten, age 5
Soccer (practice 1x a week, game 1x a week)
Gym class? (once a week)

belovedgandp
08-13-2010, 10:20 PM
DS1 - 6, 1st grade
- soccer - 1 practice and 1 game per week
- TaeKwonDo - 2-3 times per week
- school of religion - once per week
- Adventure Guides - couple events a month on weekends

If it was up to him he'd also still be in gymnastics and taking theater classes, but I put a cap on it. Soccer is really only two months and we won't have any winter sport.

DS2 - 3
- gymnastics once a week
- Gymboree classes 1-2 times a week
- couple of playgroups
- library storytime once a week

AnnieW625
08-13-2010, 10:29 PM
DD1 is four, and is in preschool.

Swim lessons, 15 minute private x1 week through September
Ballet, 1 hour a week on Saturday (in November/December she will have her regular class and a few extra 1 hour rehearsals for the Nutcracker--it's a very well known performance in our region)

I might do a music class with both DDs once a week in the early evening.

WatchingThemGrow
08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
NOTHING - thanks for the reminder to get that done!

Hoping:
DD (4)
-in addition to M-F half-day preschool
-ballet 1x/wk

DS1 and DS2(2.5 and 1)
We'll be together every day, so Kindermusik Family Time, playgroup, kids/science museums, library story times, maybe a bible study, and maybe a gym class.

In the spring, when #1 and 2 will be 3 and 4, we'll look into soccer (same team) and perhaps Kindermusik Imagine That! together.

hellokitty
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
So far nothing. Seriously, I am pooped out from this summer. We didn't even sign them up for THAT much, just a few things here and there. I missed signing DS2 up for fall soccer and to be honest, I'm kind of happy for that oops. I HATE soccer, ppl told me it would be fun to see my kids play, but it was such a painful experience to watch DS1 play soccer and to see just how BAD he is at sports. I think the only thing I will probably sign them up for is swimming lessons, b/c they are both on the verge of, "getting" it and finally swimming and swimming is just a skill that IMO they HAVE to learn, so it's a safety issue. Plus, swimming is nice, b/c it doesn't matter WHAT the weather is doing, the pool is indoors and I don't have to freeze my ass off, get rained on or sweat like a pig standing at the sidelines. For both soccer and tball we got totally screwed with all the bad weather and having to make up games, etc.. Otherwise, I think in first grade, boys can start boy scouts, so we might look into that for DS1. DS2 is begging me for violin lessons, but I am dragging my feet, b/c the suzuki method requires me to be there for all of his lessons AND he has to a take a mandatory group lesson once a month too. I don't mind being there, it's just that I would have to drag DS1 and DS3 with me and THAT part is going to suck. Trying to keep them occupied and quite while trying to pay attn to the lesson. I play violin, so I really can help DS2 practice, so I feel like of all ppl, I really should pay attn during his lessons. The only other thing I may consider is art class for DS1 and/or maybe DS2 as well. They really enjoyed them quite a bit and so far it is the only class that DS1 is, 'good' at. He is sooo bad at sports, I don't think we are going to do anymore team sport extracurriculars for him. It's become painfully obvious that he has two left feet.

baileygirl
08-13-2010, 10:43 PM
DS1 (3.5 will turn 4 this fall)
Preschool 2 mornings a week (will add either music or Spanish to that at school)
1 morning a week a preschool parent/kid class at the local botanical gardens
Swim lessons 1x per week for 30 minutes
Hockey and then soccer when that session is over

DS2 (1.5)
parent (dad)/toddler swim lessons 1x a week
misc classes at the zoo

I have a really hard time limiting classes, but feel pretty good about the above.

smilequeen
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
DS1, kindergarden, all 1x/w and probably too much IMO

Mandarin class (at school, right after)
Swim lessons
Gymnastics
Chess Class (also at school)
Learn to Play Hockey

DS2, preschool

Swim lessons
Gymnastics class
I would love to do Kindermusik but haven't found a class that works for us yet

cono0507
08-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Not much. Buying/remodeling a house, starting K, busy enough! :)

DS - kindergarden. soccer.
DD - preschool. ballet.

crl
08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
DS, age 7, entering 1st Grade. Private swim lessons once a week and after school care 4 days a week. Considering the after school sports lesson, which would be once a week.

DD, age 4 months. Nothing. Although I'm starting to think about some sort of class/activity for her.

DS is anxious and I think he really needs his downtime. Plus I don't want to run all over creation with an infant in tow.

Catherine

lmintzer
08-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Fall is very busy for us!

Older DS (age 9, 4th grade):

Travel Soccer: practice 2x/week, games 1x/week
Piano lesssons: 1x/week
Religious School: 2x/week
Clarinet: during school hours
? 4th and 5th grade chorus: before school, once/week (not sure if he is going to do this)

Younger DS (age 6 1/2, 1st grade)
Soccer: 1 game/week, a few scattered practices (possibly a Developmental program--that would mean 1 extra practice each week)
Piano lessons: 1x/week
Religious School: 1x/week

Believe me, this is a lot! When you add in piano practice and homework, our afternoons and early evenings are packed. My 9 year-old needs to go to bed early, too (by 8:15), as compared to other 9 year-olds who can handle staying up later. He's an early riser (up at 6:30 no matter when you put him to bed.)

GonnaBeNana
08-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I have one away at college so he takes care of his own activities.

I have a DD who is a senior in HS. No activities outside school except work and childbirth preparation.

DD-High School Freshman: No activities as yet, but I'm sure she'll find some once school starts. She's already a blackbelt in Taekwondo. She participates in writer's competitions as well.

DD-5th grader: Hockey, hockey, hockey! Pre-season camp begins in early October and the season runs through early March depending on our tournament schedule. Practice is 2-3 times a week for 60-90 minutes and games every weekend (at least 2). She also attends AWANAs on Wednesday evenings, church on Sundays, and off-ice conditioning 1 time a week.

I'm pretty good at juggling their schedules until tax season starts and I'm up to my eyeballs in tax returns!

Beth

spanannie
08-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Son 2nd grade age 8
Guitar
Soccer (1 prac, 1 game)
possible lacrosse lesson, if we can get that arranged
most likely cub scouts

Daughter Kinder age 6
Ballet (trying to find a lesson that will fit schedule)
vision therapy 1 session wkly (but have homework for it everyday)
reading/math tutoring/enrichment--for 1st grade prep
maybe Guitar

Daughter age 2
nada except 2 mornings of "school"

The great thing is that the guitar teacher comes to us! :-)

sste
08-13-2010, 11:35 PM
DS, 2.75 years, is in ft/all day preschool/daycare and so far signed up for:

1. Kindermusic type music class
2. Creative movement class

We are also going to do a few drop in "imagination" classes at a local place which combines movement and arts and crafts and music with a weekly imagination theme.

I really want to do private swim lessons for him but I think with a newborn hopefully arriving imminently that may be too much for all of us for the fall!

jenmcadams
08-13-2010, 11:39 PM
DD - 8 (:) almost), going into 3rd grade
Soccer - 2 practices, 1 game per week (+ occasional tournament/clinic)
Piano - 1x per week + daily practice
Brownies - 1-2x per month
Children's Chorale (Audition Based Children's Choir) - 1x per week + concerts

DS - 5, entering full day K
Flag Football - 2hours each Sunday with an amazing coach who has coached him in Y sports (T-Ball, Soccer, Basketball)...he's not an athletic kid, but loves the coach and the coach will be coaching Flag football near our house on Sundays

We may also end up signing DS up for an art class or something after school. For DD, she would choose 2-3 more activities if she could, but between soccer, brownies and piano and now adding the choir (new thing she had to audition for), we're done.

SnuggleBuggles
08-13-2010, 11:41 PM
We almost always go very light the first semester just to make sure school is the focus and down time is completely relaxed. As of now I have nothing planned but will likely do gymnastics once/ week for ds1 and Music Together for ds2.

Beth

Babywhite
08-13-2010, 11:51 PM
DD - 1st grade
Ice skating/ Saturday mornings 1 hr.
Awana Church program - Wed nights 1 hr. 45 min.

sarahsthreads
08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
I feel like it's too much, and there are so many things DD1 wants to try!

DD1 (going on 6, 1st grade):
Dance: 1x/week
Religious ed: 1x/week

She also really wants to take more ice skating lessons (Sat. mornings), start piano lessons (I'm planning to start teaching her myself, but I think we need a scheduled time each week for this, plus there's practice time), soccer (we'll wait for the winter session of 1x/week indoor soccer)...and that's not even taking into account the fact that I'm pretty sure there's daily homework for the olders in her k/1 class - it might only amount to a worksheet or writing a sentence or two or doing a small amount of reading, but it's still something to find time to do every day!

DD2 (2, not in school of any sort)
NOTHING!
(I'll probably sign her up for an inexpensive toddler class at the rec center and library story times just for something to do with our days that's not running errands.)

As much as I'm practically counting the days until school starts back up, I bet I'll be wishing for the "lazy" days of summer not long after all the activities resume!

Sarah :)

KpbS
08-14-2010, 12:25 AM
We almost always go very light the first semester just to make sure school is the focus and down time is completely relaxed.

Same here. DS1 is starting K and it will be a big adjustment for full-day K. We are just doing swimming lessons/practice and possibly religious class. We might pick gymnastics back up later in the semester. DS2 is starting preschool and is excited :) We'll go to our weekly storytime too.

Staraglimmer
08-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow! You guys are busy! DD has school 5x a week. Then a ballet/tap/tumbleing combo 1x a week. I really wanted her to do gymnastics with a friend's DD, but we just could not swing it money-wise.

baymom
08-14-2010, 01:38 AM
DS (going into 1st grade):
--soccer
--music
--language class (our ethnic language)
--a religious class

DD (age 4)
--soccer
--music
--language class
--a religious class
--ballet

This schedule will be a relief to me, as last year, both kids had an activity 5-6 days a week and I was WORN OUT. But, last year, DS got out of school at 12:00 and DD at 12:30pm (she only went to preschool 2X a week, though). This year, as a 1st grader, he gets out at 2:30 and I just don't want to over schedule him. In my area, it's fairly common for kids to have a lot of after school activities.

lhafer
08-14-2010, 03:16 AM
I haven't signed her up for anything yet, but probably will this next week.

DD - 4 years old:
- hip hop dance class (she LOVES to dance, but isn't into ballet/tap - we tried that) 1 hour 1x/week
- swim lessons 30 minutes 1x/week
- Pre-K 3x/week from 8:30a-2:30p
- Possibly a martial arts class with her dad??

She just finished up a year or so of gymnastics, had fun with that and is ready to do something else. I am interested in signing her up for soccer as well.

luckytwenty
08-14-2010, 07:29 AM
My kids are both in school + aftercare and I'm due around Halloween and work FT so this fall is going to be "light" compared to previous years.

Daughter, almost 5, will take art (painting, sculpture, etc.) on Saturday mornings and T-ball one weekday a week, (but DH said he would do most of the weekday practices)

Son, 7 1/2, will be in baseball (1 weekday practice or game, 1 weekend game) and religious school on Sundays.

maestramommy
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Dora 4.5
Pre-k 5 mornings a week
TKD 2 times a week

Arwyn 3
preschool 3 mornings a week

Laurel 1
hanging out with the sitter 2 times a week:p

I was thinking of signing the girls up for a dance class, after they really seemed to enjoy the summer class. But I don't know whether it might be too much for them, since it'll be right after school every Monday morning. Dora's never gone more than 2 mornings for school, and this is Arwyn's first year, so I know it'll be a huge adjustment for both of them. We're keeping the TKD because I'm committed to that for long term, but I don't want to add anything more unless I see they are still restless.

clc053103
08-14-2010, 05:56 PM
DS 5 - entering K
soccer (fall) practice 1x/week- game 1x/week
gymnastics 1 hr/week
swimming 45 min/week
gym class 1/2 hour/week
tennis 1/2 hour/week

I should add that he is only in 1/2 day kindergarten and we focus on his gross motor skills due to his large stature, which explains what may seem like a lot of physical activities.

kerridean
08-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Just dance class one day per week for each girl.

Reading the posts makes my head spin! I could never handle all of those activities.

bubbaray
08-14-2010, 07:13 PM
DD#1, 6, starting Grade 1
Ballet, 1hr/w
Jazz, 1hr/w (classes are back to back)
swimming lessons -- haven't registered yet, need to get on that
skiing lessons -- probably every other Sunday once the hills open (private lessons with DH)
Piano lessons -- working out the glitches, might do this myself or formal lessons, on some waiting lists
soccer -- in the spring league, I couldn't find a fall league that worked with her dance

DD#2, 3
ballet 1 hr/w
swimming lessons -- haven't registered yet, need to get on that
skiing lessons -- probably every other Sunday once the hills open (private lessons with DH)

Melbel
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
We are in for another busy fall:

DS, age 10, entering 5th grade

soccer, practice 1 day/week, games on Saturday
swim practice, 2-3x/week (1.5 hours each)
piano, 1x/week (.5 hours)
triathlon team?
chess club - 1x/month

DD1, age 8, entering 3rd grade

dance - ballet, jazz, hip hop (ballet/jazz on same day, all dance classes held at school at dismissal time so this is an easy activity for me)
soccer, practice 1 day/week, games on Saturday (coached by DH)
swim practice, 2x/week (1.5 hours each)
chess club - 1x/month
triathlon team?

DD2, age 2

may try a play based preschool program 2-3 days per week (3 hours)
Gymboree - 1 morning week

nfowife
08-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Dd, 5, kinder:
Ballet/tap combo, 45min/1x a week
Gymnastics, 45 min/ 1x a week
I would like her to do Daisy girl scouts if offered at her school.

DS, 3:
Preschool 3X/week, 9:30-2:30
Gymnastics, 45 min,1x a week
Playgroup once a week

LD92599
08-14-2010, 08:41 PM
"Just" football and soccer, but when we decided on football didn't even think about it conflicting with soccer!

Football practices are now 2-3x per week, 90 minutes, in the evening. However it's at our local HS Track/Field so DH, myself and DS2 use that time to walk the track! Next week is soccer camp - Mon-Fri, 2.5 hours in the evening, so we'll use that time to walk the track as well as have time w/o DS1.

Football will be 2-3x per week plus 1 game on the weekends in Sept and Oct. Soccer is usually 1 practice per week and 1 game per weekend in Sept & Oct. September and October are going to be BUSY...fortunately i'll still be on maternity leave for all of Sept, so October oughta be interesting!

DS2 will be in 2nd grade and attends aftercare daily til 5pm.

alexsmommy
08-14-2010, 08:51 PM
DS1 7.5 2nd grade
Soccer (Saturdays only - last year for the one day a week thing, but loving it while it lasts)
Basketball (1 day practice, 1 day games) I really, really do not enjoy getting him to his 5pm Friday practices but he absolutely adores the league
Piano lessons
He wants hip-hop lessons - will consider if time/day work with a friend to carpool with, but not until soccer is over

DS2 3
Pre-school - I consider it an "activity" since it's not required and it's not daycare.
May consider gymnastics. He's not quite ready for it yet in terms of following directions in a large group, but he's suddenly having middle child syndrome and if I can get my parents to watch the baby, it would be good alone with mommy time for him and we know the teachers who are great and patient.

I told myself no more than one sport plus music lessons at a time, but DS1 is very athletic and loves sports so it's hard to say no.

swissair81
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
My second grader has school 5 days a week from 8:30-4. That makes it impossible to do anything after school that doesn't interferre with homework, supper, downtime & bed. I will probably enroll her in the Sunday afternoon activity of her choice (if she wants) after the holidays are over. I'm leaning towards swimming lessons.

DD2 is going into pre nursery & I have to see how that goes before giving her anything else to do.

DS is going to stay home with mama.

DebbieJ
08-14-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, DS1 is having elbow surgery in Sept, so he will be limited. DH really wants to do Cub Scouts with him, so that will be it.

We agreed to do just one activity at a time, anyway.

niccig
08-15-2010, 02:48 AM
DS is 5.5 and going into K.

He'll have:
soccer - 1 practice adn 1 game from Sept to Thanksgiving
gymnastics - 1 week
piano - 1 a week

DS loves soccer and would not hear of not playing. We just did a one week morning camp, and every morning, he would get all dressed and come drag me out of bed. He's very good at gymnastics. It's a non-competitive gym and the coach is just amazing with the boys. DS is good for his age as he's short stature, but very strong. I don't think gymnastics will be his thing, but we'll keep doing it as he enjoys it and it's improving his balance/coordination/strength.

He's school offers classes like dance, art, cooking, and a Lego Robotics class etc, and now that he's in K, he can take these. I'll have to see if he is interested or not - I think he'll want to do the lego class.

I'm also going to take him swimming once a week, but that's just him and me playing and practicing our swimming. We do intensive classes in the Summer and just swim the rest of the year.

jamesmom
08-15-2010, 06:34 AM
DS, 6, 2nd grade:
Speech, occupational therapy, group: 2 hours per week
Piano: 1/2 hour per week plus 1 group class per month
Soccer: 1 practice per week, game on weekends
2nd language: 2 hours per week on weekend
Religious education: 1 1/2 hours per week

DD, 4, pre-k:
Ballet/tap: 45 minutes per week
Gymnastics: 1 hour per week
Piano: 1/2 hour per week plus 1 group class per month
2nd language: 2 hours per week

DS' schedule is crazy right now, so we might cancel or reschedule his language or religious education class.

Meatball Mommie
08-15-2010, 08:05 AM
DS1, 7, entering 2nd grade
Hockey - starts in Aug (yikes!) ends in Mar - prob 2 practices, 1 game per week
Soccer - 1x per week (maybe 2, I don't know if his level meets 2x or if it's the last yr for 1x)
--Should be interesting to see how the hockey and fall soccer mix! I didn't know hockey started this early - his learn-to-play program started in Oct.
Piano - 1x per week, during school hrs but I attend lesson
Religious Ed - 1x per week, he's making 1st communion this year, so it's a must

DS2, 5, entering K
-Skating lessons - 1x per week
-Piano - 1x per week during school hrs, back to back with DS1
-Soccer - 1x per week

I'd like to keep both DS in swimming lessons (1 x per week) as they are enjoying them this summer, but our schedule might prevent it. They'd also LOVE to do TKD, but there's def. no time for that until hockey is over, as it's 2x per week.

I'm waiting for the hockey and soccer schedules to come out before I pick which day for CCD for DS1 and deciding what to do about swimming. I don't want to kill myself driving them all over creation (I also work full time) but it's kind of inevitable with 2 kids! The nice thing is that they don't get homework at all, so I never have to worry about that in the eves, although we do need to practice piano daily.

ilfaith
08-15-2010, 10:04 AM
DS1 (age 6):
1st grade 8:15 to 3:45, five days a week
Tennis 1 x per week
Soccer 2 x per week (1 practice + 1 game)
I will probably also sign him up for one of his school's after school enrichment programs, either Lacrosse or a "Mad Science" class
I would love for him to continue swimming lessons and take up an instrument, but his school day is already so long, I know he will need some down time...I will probably wait until soccer is done to start up swimming again
DS1 is in a private school where religious instruction and language immersion (Hebrew) are included within the day (hence the long hours)

DS2 (age 4)
Pre-K...8:30-12 MWF, 8:30-3:45 TTH
Tennis 1 x per week (same time as DS1)
Soccer 2 x per week (1 practice + 1 game...am hoping both boys can be on the same team)
A multi-sports class 1 x per week or possibly one of his school's after school programs

DS3 (age 1)
Gymboree
Another 'Mommy & Me" class at our synagogue
And of course he'll spend a good amount of time in strapped in the car being shuttled around dropping his brothers off at their various activities

giavila
08-15-2010, 12:15 PM
dd1 (6) 1st grade
piano 30 min lesson 1x per week
soccer 1 practice, 1 game per week
girl scouts (at school-I'm not required to attend but I do) 2x per month

She wants to continue swimming 30 min lesson 1x per week, but I think we'll just pick it up again when soccer ends.

dd2 (almost 4) preschool 3 morning per week
gymnastics 1x per week
maybe a dance class 1x week

dd3 (18months)
Music Together 1x per week
playdate 1x per week