PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you have housecleaners?

KrisM
08-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Part of the reason behind my big organization this weekend, is that I want to hire a housecleaner again. I had one 2 years ago and it was too stressfull for me to have the house picked up enough for them to come every 2 weeks. I think that if I could get it all looking good at one time, and I'm nearly there now, I could handle the upkeep, especially with an every other week motivation. When I had them before, DD was 1 and then I was pregnant and then had a newborn and I just couldn't get ahead of the mess!

Even with the whole weekend home to myself, I didn't get all the cleaning done that I had hoped to do.

Poll coming...

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I do it myself except about 1-2 times/ year I hire someone to really get caught up on things I might have been neglecting.

BEth

DebbieJ
08-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I voted other b/c DH and DS1 help.

mommylamb
08-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm the obligatory other. I'm a WOHM and DH does all the housework here :-)

MamaMolly
08-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm an Other. When DH's job takes us to parts of the world where we can afford it, I'm a SAHM with a housekeeper. When his job takes us back to the US then I clean it. When we are in the US then DH is much, much better about helping. Overseas he's like a pampered house cat. Fat, lazy and expects someone else to do the work cause 'he's paying them to'. I think he has a harder time adjusting to 'reality' in the US than I do.

giavila
08-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I stay home and hired a housecleaner to come every 2 weeks once our 3rd child was born. At the time I had 3 kids under the age of 5 and I just was not getting the cleaning done. The youngest is now 18 months and I'm at a point where sometimes I feel like cutting back on the housecleaner, but dh thinks we should keep her.

wellyes
08-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Part of the reason behind my big organization this weekend, is that I want to hire a housecleaner again. I had one 2 years ago and it was too stressfull for me to have the house picked up enough for them to come every 2 weeks.

This made me chuckle, it's so true. I think if you have a good routine (Flylady or whatever) it can be less work / stress to keep the whole house clean than it is to do pickup every two weeks for the cleaning lady.

Having said that, I'd only really invest myself in the housecleaning routine if I were a SAHM (I'm not). Love my cleaning lady.

georgiegirl
08-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Im a SAHM and we have someone come every 2 weeks to Clean. I still feel like I'm cleaning the house all the time though. Our house is pretty big and DH is a neat freak.

WatchingThemGrow
08-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I stay home and hired a housecleaner to come every 2 weeks once our 3rd child was born. At the time I had 3 kids under the age of 5 and I just was not getting the cleaning done. The youngest is now 18 months and I'm at a point where sometimes I feel like cutting back on the housecleaner, but dh thinks we should keep her.

:yeahthat: Almost the same scenario, except that mine were 36m, 18m and newborn. It's been a tough year, and I'm SO glad my ILs paid to have someone come clean for us. :bowdown: Now we feel like we need to keep it going b/c I'm nowhere near having things under control on my own.

g-mama
08-15-2010, 06:22 PM
:yeahthat: Almost the same scenario, except that mine were 36m, 18m and newborn. It's been a tough year, and I'm SO glad my ILs paid to have someone come clean for us. :bowdown: Now we feel like we need to keep it going b/c I'm nowhere near having things under control on my own.

Wow, talk about awesome in-laws!! My cleaner costs us $100 every other week, so that would be a $2400 a year gift. I'd be bowing down, too, LOL!! :D

AnnieW625
08-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I voted other. We are work out side of the home parents and we had a house cleaner until this past June who came every other Friday. We decided that since I was off work and they hadn't been doing a great job that we were going to take a break. We might revisit the issue in October once I've been back at work over a month and see if we still need it, plus I'd like to interview other people too.

Tondi G
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm a SAHM and we have someone who comes once every 2 weeks and we pay her $75 a visit! It is nice to know that at least 2 times a month my toilet/sinks/shower/bath get a really good scrubbing and the floors get a full sweeping/mopping.

wellyes
08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
25% SAHMs with housecleaners? Wow, that is more than I expected!

WatchingThemGrow
08-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Wow, talk about awesome in-laws!! My cleaner costs us $100 every other week, so that would be a $2400 a year gift. I'd be bowing down, too, LOL!! :D
$60 for 3 hours, so $1440. She doesn't do the living room or the bedrooms, though. Just the two teensy bathrooms, the kitchen, and the hallway floor.

WolfpackMom
08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm a WAHM and do most of the cleaning but DH does help a lot with the laundry and dishes. I'm also suprised at the number of SAHM with a cleaner. I want one soooo bad but am having trouble getting myself to spend the money!

smilequeen
08-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I am a SAHM (but I'm going to pick up 2 days a week starting next month and ending in January). I have a housekeeper 2x a week right now. I still clean whatever I need to in between though. I've been on my own (DH working out of town during the week) for the past year, so it's been a lifesaver.

baymom
08-15-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm a SAHM with cleaners. I never thought I'd have them, but DH convinced me when I was pregnant with our oldest. They charge $70 and come every other week--this is a real deal, for my area.

TwinFoxes
08-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I chose other. DH does most of the cleaning. I want housecleaners, it takes up so much of our time trying to keep the house clean. DH doesn't see the need. Sigh.

llama8
08-15-2010, 07:52 PM
I am a SAHM that is going back to work next month. I just got housecleaners. For the first time ever my house is really clean. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner. It gives me more family time now too.

o_mom
08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
No cleaners and no plans for them. We do OK. I try to do something every day so it isn't overwhelming on the weekends. The stuff that housecleaners would do is such a small part of the 'housekeeping' that I don't feel like it would save me that much time. The daily stuff - dishes, laundry, clutter - are a much bigger part of it. If I had the place in order enough for cleaners, I may as well spend the 2 hrs to clean it myself.

luckytwenty
08-15-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm a WOHM and we have someone come every week for cleaning and laundry. Before I went back to work, she came every other week and did not do laundry.

sewarsh
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I stopped working in April. The thought was that I would take a couple of months to get acclimated to being home and once in a groove, I'd get rid of the housecleaners.

Well here we are in August and we've decided to definately keep them. I didn't realize that since I'm home, the kids are home too and the more we are home, the dirtier the house gets. Its just too much to keep up with the hard cleaning when we are constantly cooking, cleaning kitchen, laundry and just keeps things tidy.

pinkmomagain
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm a SAHM who has a housecleaner every 2 weeks. It gives me a real incentive to tidy up. But I do have a hardtime getting a handle on clutter...wish there was someone to hire for that.

Clarity
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I WOTH and yes, we have housekeepers come every two weeks. I can't manage it all without help and I won't pretend to try.

Edited to admit that dh helps A LOT and often is the one scrambling to declutter for the housekeepers. Of course he's often the one making the messes that require a housekeeper...........

Twoboos
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Our housecleaners started just before DD2 was born, it was supposed to just be for 6mos or so as I got acclimated to 2 under 2.

Um, that was 5 years ago. I LOVE that they come every 2 weeks to do the heavy duty cleaning, and it forces us to pick up/declutter. Even though DH can't stand cleaning-before-the-cleaners.

Melbel
08-15-2010, 09:21 PM
I am a SAHM with a house cleaner, which I never thought would be the case. Then again, I never thought I would suffer from debilitating back problems either. Sigh. We pay $75/week for 3 hours work, which means that the floors are swept/vaccuumed/mopped, the bathrooms and kitchen are cleaned and the sheets are changed. We handle the deeper cleaning, base boards, blinds etc. ourselves on a rotating basis. Between the deep cleaning, 2-3 loads of laundry/day, sweeping up crumbs, vacuuming as needed, cleaning kitchen after every meal and picking up the toys, I feel like I am cleaning all the time.

maestramommy
08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
I had a housecleaner for 18 months when I got preggo with Arwyn. scrubbing the shower was giving me really bad sciatica, and I just kept it up after she was born. When we moved into this house I cleaned myself until Laurel was about 7 months. I just couldn't stand it any longer. It takes me about 4 hours to clean the house IF it's completely uninterrupted, so that only happened once a month or less. It got so I was just scrubbing the toilets to keep them from getting gross. It takes two women 2 hours or less to do it. Sometimes I find little things that they miss, esp. on the kitchen floor, but I don't care. It's way better than if I were still doing it myself. I consider it money well spent.

I pay $75, every other week.

ourbabygirl
08-15-2010, 09:57 PM
:bag Yep, I'm one of the SAHMs who has cleaners come (every 3 weeks). When DD got to be about 18 months old and I was pregnant and in the depths of morning sickness, I just couldn't quite keep up with all the cleaning, esp. cleaning up after her and her little toddler messes (crumbs, art stuff, toys, books, etc.) plus all our cat fur and just general dust that accumulates in the house. (I HATE dusting and love that someone else will do it for me, though we really don't have that many things that need dusting.)
I also really like having someone mop the kitchen floor and vacuum the carpeted stairs- those are two of my least favorite jobs. Believe me, I still vacuum a lot- mainly the main floor which gets so grungy after even a day or two. I also love that they clean our bathrooms, because I just don't want to spend my evenings or weekends- my only free time and downtime (mainly weekends as DH travels a lot for work)- doing those sorts of chores! I spend a lot of time on the weekends cleaning up DD's messes, doing LAUNDRY (including cloth diapers every few days), dishes, etc.

We had the option of having them come once a week, or every two weeks, every three weeks, or once a month. We chose once every 3 weeks as kind of a happy medium (I would have felt too guilty/ spoiled having them come every 2 weeks, though I wouldn't refuse it if someone paid it for us!), and because we got a deal when the owner of the company misspoke and accidentally quoted us $100 per time when it really should have been more like $115 or so each time (they charge less when they come more often because there supposedly wouldn't be as much to clean).

But I agree that it is kind of a pain 'cleaning' before they come and clean, or at least making sure the sink is free of dirty dishes, making our beds, putting all the clothes away, straightening up and de-cluttering as much as possible.
I would like to learn some of their tricks, though- they're always able to get DD's table and our stove top cleaner than I can, and I don't know how they do it! :)

I actually think it's more necessary to have cleaners when you're a SAHM (also my DH works from home) because we're here all.the.time and really USE our house all day every day, from cooking & cleaning up after 3 meals to coming in multiple times from playing outside (I'm sure we track in some dirt, fingerprints on the patio door, etc.). It's just a messy time in our lives and I'm exhausted enough being pregnant and taking care of a toddler, so if DH is willing to pay to get me some help cleaning, I'll definitely take him up on it! :love5:

ETA: I do feel guilty having cleaners come, even if it's only once every three weeks... I never imagined I'd be 'that lady' who stayed home AND had housecleaners, but here I am. Honestly, though, if I worked and our kids were in daycare and only home to make messes in the evenings and on weekends, I think I would do less cleaning up and housework than I do now! But we haven't told our family or friends that we have cleaners come, I just feel too embarassed! Glad I can be honest here :-)!

MamaSnoo
08-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Ours come evrey other week, but I am thinking of bumping up to every week. It does help me to keep things tidy to know that I have to tidy for them.

I do not have time or desire to clean, and I really appreciate the work they do when I come home from work to a clean house!

essnce629
08-15-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm a SAHM and have a housecleaner that comes every week to clean the whole house. We pay $75 a week and I'd get rid of a ton of other expenses (cable, clothes, etc) before her!!! It's totally true-- when you're home all day and the kids are home too, it's constantly a mess and I can't get anything done with DS2 suctioned cupped to my leg at all times! Any big cleaning would have to be during DS2's 90 minute nap, and I have other constant cleaning that needs to be done throughout the day like the kitchen counters and dishwasher, laundry, vacuuming all the crumbs off the kitchen and dining room, etc.

DrSally
08-15-2010, 10:38 PM
I SAH and have no cleaner. I've thought of it, but, really, doing the tidying up would prob be more stress for me. I'd prob actually think more seriously of doing it if I could find $75 EO week. That's doable, and about what DH pays for someone to mow the lawn (so he doesn't have to!). It would be nice to have someone do the bathrooms, wood floors, and vacuum. I don't need someone to change the sheets, etc. With DH gone during the week, we like to use our weekends for family time, not cleaning. I can't seem to get much done but the basics (laundry, dishes) during the week. What I'd love to have time for is organizing, rather than cleaning!

g-mama
08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=ourbabygirl;2821632

I actually think it's more necessary to have cleaners when you're a SAHM (also my DH works from home) because we're here all.the.time and really USE our house all day every day, from cooking & cleaning up after 3 meals to coming in multiple times from playing outside (I'm sure we track in some dirt, fingerprints on the patio door, etc.).

[/QUOTE]

ITA. I have friends who work whose houses seem much tidier and they say it's because their kids are home for 3-4 hours waking hours each evening whereas mine are here playing and eating and making messes and having their friends over for 14 waking hours a day.

edurnemk
08-15-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty much in the same situation as MamaMolly. I have a maid 3 times a week now, but when we're in the US I mostly clean myself and only hire a cleaner when I feel I'm in over my neck.

Neatfreak
08-16-2010, 01:12 AM
And same, again. I've been spoiled for the last three years overseas, in some respects.

Melaine
08-16-2010, 07:32 AM
No cleaners and no plans for them. We do OK. I try to do something every day so it isn't overwhelming on the weekends. The stuff that housecleaners would do is such a small part of the 'housekeeping' that I don't feel like it would save me that much time. The daily stuff - dishes, laundry, clutter - are a much bigger part of it. If I had the place in order enough for cleaners, I may as well spend the 2 hrs to clean it myself.

:yeahthat: I totally agree. When I was a "nanny" (think SAHM for hire) I cleaned a huge 3 story lakehouse top to bottom every week. I really don't feel it would be worth it to hire someone for my small house. Now, getting an organizer would be really cool, but the cleaning I'll probably always do myself. Unless we come into a bunch of money.

KrisM
08-16-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the perspective. I think that keeping the place neat and organized takes me a couple hours, at least, a week. Adding another 3 hours cleaning is tough.

I do wipe the main part of the kitchen counters a couple times a day, but I don't move everything off them and wipe underneath/behind very often. I hate to dust and that gets pushed off a lot. I vacuum a few times a week, and I know that will continue even with cleaners. Lately, DS1 has been mopping the hard floors, so that is great! Bathrooms are a tough one. I don't get to them as often because I don't like cleaning them with the kids around.

Maybe now that things are fairly well organized and neat, I'll see how it goes for a month or so and if I can manage both cleaning and picking up. Or if I need the motivation of cleaners to get me to pick up!

KpbS
08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
I voted it doesn't get clean--which is only partly true. Eventually I get to cleaning everything but it isn't timely. I don't want to pay the expense of cleaners and know that it would be difficult to have them use the products I want and clean things to my expectations. DH would like to us to find someone but I know that it would be on my to do the tidying that is required for getting ready for someone to come clean. Also, having a stranger in my home freaks me out too.

mamicka
08-16-2010, 08:54 AM
I actually think it's more necessary to have cleaners when you're a SAHM (also my DH works from home) because we're here all.the.time and really USE our house all day every day, from cooking & cleaning up after 3 meals to coming in multiple times from playing outside (I'm sure we track in some dirt, fingerprints on the patio door, etc.).
:yeahthat: Totally. It's Stay At Home Mom not Maid. & you have nothing to be embarassed about.

Now, getting an organizer would be really cool, but the cleaning I'll probably always do myself. Unless we come into a bunch of money.

:yeahthat: I would hire a cleaner now if it was in the budget, but it's not. & honestly, if I had that kind of extra money now I'd be joining the gym before hiring cleaners. An organizer? that would be the best.

Adding another 3 hours cleaning is tough.

I do wipe the main part of the kitchen counters a couple times a day, but I don't move everything off them and wipe underneath/behind very often. I hate to dust and that gets pushed off a lot. I vacuum a few times a week, and I know that will continue even with cleaners. Lately, DS1 has been mopping the hard floors, so that is great! Bathrooms are a tough one. I don't get to them as often because I don't like cleaning them with the kids around.

Do you mean 3 hours/week? Besides the daily pick-ups/clean-ups I don't think I do any other regular cleaning that would total 3 hours a week. Maybe I'm just still in babymoon fog but that sounds like a lot. Of, but I don't dust very often. That's the one household chore that I try to forget about. :bag

Bathrooms, I mostly use kid-safe cleaners so I clean them during bathtime or waiting with someone on the potty. DS1 & 2 help clean the shower & mop the floors there, too. Like you, vaccuuming is several times a week so it can't wait for the cleaners.

Anyway, if you can afford it & you find it helpful, go for it.

shawnandangel
08-16-2010, 09:06 AM
We have Molly Maid come once every 2 weeks. We pay $115 for our 1800sq ft house. They do every room. I'm not impressed by their performance. I have been looking for someone else actually.

babychi
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Thank you so much for this thread! I am a full-time WOHM and do not currently have a housecleaner.

After spending most of the day Saturday and part of Sunday cleaning, organizing, and doing laundry while getting distracted by my DD, I finally told DH that I refuse to spend my weekends this way. I only see DD a few hours each day during the workweek and I want more family time on the weekends. He started complaining about the cost, but when I came on the board last night I found this thread and showed him all the SAHM's who have cleaners. Needless to say, he relented and is letting me try one out 2x a month.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! :)

egoldber
08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
We've had housecleaners for a long time, although we took a hiatus from it when DH was laid off. But as soon as I found a job we hired them back.

Honestly, we do it to prevent bickering. I hate cleaning and I especially hate cleaning bathrooms. I get very resentful because he does NOT clean and it all falls to me and I get mad and angry about it. So hiring cleaners is something we do for our marriage. :) Also they clean MUCH MUCH more thoroughly than I ever would.

We pay $80 every other week and it would cost a lot more than that for marriage counseling. ;)

I also LOVE that every other Friday my house is totally clean from top to bottom. We do have to straighten first and I think that is good for us.

KrisM
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Do you mean 3 hours/week? Besides the daily pick-ups/clean-ups I don't think I do any other regular cleaning that would total 3 hours a week. Maybe I'm just still in babymoon fog but that sounds like a lot. Of, but I don't dust very often. That's the one household chore that I try to forget about. :bag

Bathrooms, I mostly use kid-safe cleaners so I clean them during bathtime or waiting with someone on the potty. DS1 & 2 help clean the shower & mop the floors there, too. Like you, vaccuuming is several times a week so it can't wait for the cleaners.

Anyway, if you can afford it & you find it helpful, go for it.

It takes me about 30 minutes to vacuum 4 bedrooms, the playroom, stairs, and family room. Another 30 or so to sweep, mop and dry the bathroom, kitchen and dining room floors. Maybe not quite 30 minutes to clean 3 toilets, 2 tubs, a shower, and 3 mirrors. Dusting, when it happens is a good 45 minutes if I do the whole house, by the time I move pictures off the mantle, etc. Windows are around 20 minutes for just the insides. Wiping the baseboards, doors, and moldings is probably 20 minutes.

The rest of the things, like picking up toys, doing the dishes, wiping the counters, filing papers, doing laundry, add up too, but I'd keep those things.

DS2 isn't old enough to wash himself in the bath yet, and DD doesn't do her hair well, so I can't clean much while they're in there and that would leave 2 other bathrooms uncleaned. While DS2 does mop, I still have to sweep and help to dry the floor when he's done. And, he won't be able to as easily do that when school starts.

g-mama
08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
We have Molly Maid come once every 2 weeks. We pay $115 for our 1800sq ft house. They do every room. I'm not impressed by their performance. I have been looking for someone else actually.

I've tried a service and they didn't do a very good job. Most everyone I know who uses a housecleaner uses a private individual(s). Ask around and get a recommendation from a friend or neighbor. We pay $100 for our 3400 sf home and we're not in a low cost of living area. Services are always more expensive.

lizzywednesday
08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
This is a point of contention between DH and I, but, despite the fact that I am home 4 days/week, our house doesn't get clean.

I'm a full-time employee and a full-time nursing mom. When I log off from work on the days I work from home, I'd rather spend the time playing with my daughter than cleaning ... and on the weekends, I've repeatedly asked DH to take responsibility for DD so I can do some cleanup, but I need to be a bit more direct about it.

So, for now, our house is pretty cluttered and very disorganized.

daisymommy
08-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I haven't read the whole discussion, so I may have to add more to my reply.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and could only dream of having enough money to have house cleaners. But when you live on one income, I really don't know how you guys are doing it. We live in a high cost of living area, where motgages take up to 50% of your income. There isn't much left over! But that's okay, because they rewards I reap from staying home with my kids are well worth it, every penny.

I don't know anyone in real life that has a house cleaner. I keep hearing the phrase "stay-at-home mom, not maid", but really, that is a luxury to think that way. For most people, you are a HOMEMAKER--which includes childcare and homecare. It's a relatively new thing to be called just a stay-at-home-mom instead. I can't imagine if all I had to do was take of my kids all day, and not the house too. Sorry if I sound round or jealous.

I have a cleaning schedule I try to stick to, and my house is usually picked up and clean. Not spotless, but clean enough that I'm not embarrassed should someone stop by. But I also am thankful to have a husband who is very understanding, and would rather I took the kids to the park on a sunny day than scrub the tubs. It's all about balance.

P.S. I think it's a whole other story if you are a working-outside-the-house mom. I don't think I could possibly work 2 jobs (out of the house and in it). But then you have the 2nd income to pay for house cleaners, and you totally deserve it!

daisymommy
08-16-2010, 10:47 AM
It takes me about 30 minutes to vacuum 4 bedrooms, the playroom, stairs, and family room. Another 30 or so to sweep, mop and dry the bathroom, kitchen and dining room floors. Maybe not quite 30 minutes to clean 3 toilets, 2 tubs, a shower, and 3 mirrors. Dusting, when it happens is a good 45 minutes if I do the whole house, by the time I move pictures off the mantle, etc. Windows are around 20 minutes for just the insides. Wiping the baseboards, doors, and moldings is probably 20 minutes.

PLEASE tell me you are only doing this weekly, not daily?

mamicka
08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
I don't know anyone in real life that has a house cleaner. I keep hearing the phrase "stay-at-home mom, not maid", but really, that is a luxury to think that way. For most people, you are a HOMEMAKER--which includes childcare and homecare. It's a relatively new thing to be called just a stay-at-home-mom instead. I can't imagine if all I had to do was take of my kids all day, and not the house too. Sorry if I sound round or jealous.

I also don't have the money to pay for cleaners & I do end-up doing most of the cleaning & "homemaking". But I do it because I'm here more, not because that's why I'm staying home, YKWIM? I happen to be home with my kids & if I have a spare 15 minutes, I'll clean something. DH does the same but he doesn't have as many free chunks of time when he's at home. The cleaning-up after ourselves (floors, kitchen), to me, is part of taking care of my kids, not cleaning the house. Does that make sense?

mamicka
08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

LOL! Some of those things are monthly around here... windows are quarterly. :bag

Kris, you are a superwoman. :bowdown:

Fairy
08-16-2010, 11:10 AM
This is strictly about what your time is worth to you. Whether you're a stay at home mom or you work 60 hours a week out of the hosue, notwithstanding, this is not about what one should or shouldn't have time for, it's about what that time is worth to them. For me, I split the difference wtih many folks in this thread. I work part time, and I do it from home, but when i'm working, I'm really tied to this computer and my headset and my VoIP, and I do not get up off my ass. I'm in meetings, I'm moving my widgets around, and when I'm done for the day, I want to spend my time with my child. DH works out of town, so I'm on my own 4 days a week, and when DH is home, he wants to spend time with DS. Yes, we clean things, cuz we're not livin' like pigs. But we ain't vacuming, either. We have X amount of money in the budget, and we choose what's worth spening that money on and what is not. We have alot more time than many on this board, but we have alot less than others. It's all relative. For us, it's worth it for someone to come and scrub my toilet. Bottom line.

g-mama
08-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I can't imagine if all I had to do was take of my kids all day, and not the house too.

But see, I spend a LOT of time each day taking care of my house AND my kids, I just don't do the heavy cleaning anymore. I wipe down the counters and the table a couple times a day, I do the laundry and the cooking, I vacuum a couple of times a week, and I pick up all of the toys/clutter, which is a HUGE chunk of time. I could go on and on, but basically, I don't mop our floors, I don't scrub the bathrooms and I don't change the sheets. All of the other stuff that the housecleaner does, I also do in the interim. She just comes and has the whole house clean at one time and does a more thorough job in the kitchen than I do.

I will totally agree with you that is a luxury, for sure. Part of why we can afford a housecleaner on one income is that my husband gets paid well because he works 70+ hours a week (some of that is at home at night after we're all asleep so he can spend time w/ us) at a very high stress job, which also means he is not willing to do heavy cleaning b/c his little free time is better spent with his kids. He's willing to pay the money for a housecleaner to help me out, perhaps where some other dads with more regular schedules would be able to pick up the slack.

My mother worked PT and was very sick much of my life. She did everything herself (well, I helped), even mopped the floors from a wheelchair at times at her most sick, and NEVER would have had a housecleaner in a million years.

sste
08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I woh but when I sah for 7 months I actually found myself MUCH more bothered by mess/uncleanliness as I had to be in it all day! So, I can def. see how sahps benefit from cleaning help.

As for us, we have has a housecleaner for a very long time - - we just can't spend our weekends cleaning and dh and I are sloooooow cleaners. I view the housekeeper as "cleaning assist." As g-mama mentioned I still do alot of daily cleaning stuff and I (and in theory dh) spend an evening straightening up for the cleaner. She mainly does vacuuming, mopping, changing the sheets, bathroom, de-funking the stovetop.

maestramommy
08-16-2010, 12:14 PM
I haven't read the whole discussion, so I may have to add more to my reply.

I'm a stay-at-home mom, and could only dream of having enough money to have house cleaners. But when you live on one income, I really don't know how you guys are doing it. We live in a high cost of living area, where motgages take up to 50% of your income. There isn't much left over! But that's okay, because they rewards I reap from staying home with my kids are well worth it, every penny.

I have a cleaning schedule I try to stick to, and my house is usually picked up and clean. Not spotless, but clean enough that I'm not embarrassed should someone stop by. But I also am thankful to have a husband who is very understanding, and would rather I took the kids to the park on a sunny day than scrub the tubs. It's all about balance.

P.S. I think it's a whole other story if you are a working-outside-the-house mom. I don't think I could possibly work 2 jobs (out of the house and in it). But then you have the 2nd income to pay for house cleaners, and you totally deserve it!

Yes, I understand it is a luxury, and one that we can afford, which is one reason why we have it. We don't live in a very High COL area, AND our mortgage doesn't take anywhere near 50% of our income. If we thought that would happen we just wouldn't buy a house, period. That's actually how we lived before we moved here. My dh gets paid fairly well for what he does. He doesn't work extra long hours, but he is so busy taking care of other household maintenance and repairs, there's really no way to expect him to help me keep house. The cleaning ladies CLEAN. They don't make the beds, do the dishes, or wash our clothes. I'm sure they would, since they asked about it when we first hired them, but that's not what I want from them, since I do that stuffy myself.

FWIW, I agree with you about a SAHM being a homemaker. I know that I am doing childcare and homecare. That said, I DO do a lot of cleaning in between the times my cleaning people come. I clean up after every meal, which includes wiping down the table and counter, and vacuuming the floor. Sometimes it also includes wiping up the entire floor. Dh does the dinner dishes most nights, but I am right there helping, trying to make it go faster because he has a lot of stuff he needs to take care of afterwards. I also do all the laundry, clear up the family room every night, supervise the kids clearing away their books every day (usually twice) in their room, and generally keep the house looking like I wouldn't be embarrassed for someone to suddenly show up. The night before the cleaning ladies come, I tidy up everywhere, putting away everything that is still left out, clearing papers in the recycling bin, etc.

I am not assuming I will have this cleaning service for life. The girls will be helping me (REALLY helping, not making my job harder:p), and that will be the end of needing this kind of assistance. But for now it's something we don't mind budgeting for. I hear a lot of moms talking about preferring to play with their kids than have a clean house. That's not exactly the case for me, although I wouldn't put it in such black and white terms, like I'd rather clean than be with my kids. I just NEED my house to be reasonably clean and tidy because I spend a lot of time in it, my day is chaotic enough with 3 under 5, and a messy dirty house would just be the tipping point for my mental health;) Interestingly enough, I don't mind visiting other people's houses that are "messy and dirty." Doesn't faze me at all.

And another FWIW, I think for some SAHMs childcare and homecare would be considered 2 jobs. I really don't think this is an issue that can be defined so concretely for everyone.

BabyBearsMom
08-16-2010, 12:18 PM
I WOH and have a cleaning crew come 2 times/month. It is a huge help for us and really helps DH and I destress since our weekends don't have to be spent constantly doing chores. I don't think that it is a lot of work to keep the house tidy enough for the cleaners to do their job. Then again, DD is still an infant and it will probably be harder when she is older. Our cleaners do all the vaccuuming, mopping, sweeping, dusting, wiping of counters etc. I love them :bowdown:

LexyLou
08-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm a SAHM and we do have a housekeeping service. I'm willing to cut out other things to have them.

Right now we only have them monthly for a deep clean since money is tight, but we usually have them every 2 weeks.

Even with a housekeeping crew every 2 weeks or every month, I still do A LOT of cleaning on my own. I'm cleaning every single day.

Unless you have a weekly cleaning service, I really don't think a cleaning service replaces all cleaning work.

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
I WOH as does DH and we have cleaners bi-weekly.

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for having cleaners if you can afford them. You're helping support someone else's family by employing the cleaners, as well as improving your lifestyle.

If I SAH, I think I would want the cleaners even more because my kids take a lot of energy! :)

niccig
08-16-2010, 01:18 PM
I will totally agree with you that is a luxury, for sure. Part of why we can afford a housecleaner on one income is that my husband gets paid well because he works 70+ hours a week (some of that is at home at night after we're all asleep so he can spend time w/ us) at a very high stress job, which also means he is not willing to do heavy cleaning b/c his little free time is better spent with his kids. He's willing to pay the money for a housecleaner to help me out, perhaps where some other dads with more regular schedules would be able to pick up the slack.

This is my DH too. He had a housecleaner when he was single. He would come home from work at 2am and be back at 9am, so no time for cleaning. I've always felt guilty about it. My mother has never had a house cleaner in her life. It's very expensive to have help like that in Australia. When DS started school, I was going to give up the cleaner, but I'm now working from home during school hours.

DH does help around the house and I am cleaning too, the every other week doesn't keep the house clean. We do the household maintenance projects, actually I do way more around the house than many other DH's that we know. One work colleague told DH he scored the jackpot as I'm repairing some stucco on one of our garden walls, so DH doesn't have to do it on the weekends or pay for someone to do it. MIL has me recaulk her bathroom when we go visit as I do a better job at it than FIL. The money I save on not getting a handyman easily pays for the cleaner - so I suppose we're choosing what house jobs I do and then have the cleaner clean as that's cheaper. Ideally we would do both, but that would mean having DH home more than he is.

Weekends are family time, otherwise DH would never see DS. A housecleaner is worth it to give us that family time.

SoloMelody
08-16-2010, 01:34 PM
I chose other. I am a WOHM, do the regular cleanup myself/DH. When I think the kitchen/bath need a super duper cleaning, I have a cleaner come in. This is about 1x every 2 months.

alexsmommy
08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
I WOTH part time. We had someone every two weeks for several years, then our cleaning woman moved (waaaaaahhh, I loved her) and I was just coming off maternity leave. I'm self-emplooyed so I figured I could wait a few months until my practice and savings account built back up. Then the economy tanked and I just wasn't making as much as I had. The cleaning person came out of "my" money (we split up the household bills we are responible for) and DH took over several more of "my" bills so he couldn't take that on too... so we never replaced her. I would get someone occasionally for various reasons (after drywall had been put in and there was dust everywhere, having company, holidays), but no regular service. After DS3 came along I realized I just cannot keep up with the house the way I'd like and it was making me crazy, and my practice had picked back up. So now I call a service about 1x a month to do the heavy stuff. I miss having a regular person who knows us and would do little extra things like straightening out under the sinks, but for now, this is fine.
I love coming home to a clean house.

KrisM
08-16-2010, 01:53 PM

It would be great to do it weekly. Realistically, it's more like over the course of a month that most of it gets done. The tub and showers could use a good scrubbing every 2-3 days because of the hard water, but at best those are done weekly.

KrisM
08-16-2010, 01:55 PM
LOL! Some of those things are monthly around here... windows are quarterly. :bag

Kris, you are a superwoman. :bowdown:

Honestly, this is why I want cleaners because I can't possibly do it all. I do vacuum often because dirty carpets drive me nuts. And dirty toilets are just yucky to me. I sweep often. But, most of the rest is monthly or even worse - just when we're having company and I realize there are fingerprints all over the doors and lightswitches!

american_mama
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I am glad I am not the only one who was stressed out picking up in anticipation of the housecleaners coming! We are pretty messy here, so I was not cleaning, just picking up enough for them to do their job and it was an irritant. I have often wanted to post here about the love/hate relationship with having housecleaners, but never have.

I voted Other because I had housecleaners for the past two years until this summer when we had an unexpected salary crunch. DH is a professor who has always had grant money to pay his summer salary, but this year, he didn't (or rather, used what little he had to pay for his grad students..... grr. Not that having no salary stopped DH from working full-time the whole summer.... grrr.) So, with 2.5 months with no salary, I cancelled the housecleaners and am unsure whether I will start them again in the fall. I made DD1 and DD2 clean with me roughly every other Thursday this summer, same as when the housecleaners were here, and it kind of worked. But I'm undecided on what to do in the fall.

g-mama
08-16-2010, 03:15 PM
I am glad I am not the only one who was stressed out picking up in anticipation of the housecleaners coming! We are pretty messy here, so I was not cleaning, just picking up enough for them to do their job and it was an irritant. I have often wanted to post here about the love/hate relationship with having housecleaners, but never have.

I totally feel this way, but wouldn't dare complain about it IRL for fear of sounding like a spoiled brat, LOL. To get every surface cleared off is a big job even though I honestly feel like I'm picking up constantly every day.

maestramommy
08-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I totally feel this way, but wouldn't dare complain about it IRL for fear of sounding like a spoiled brat, LOL. To get every surface cleared off is a big job even though I honestly feel like I'm picking up constantly every day.
:tongue5: It's stressful for me too, but I think it's good for us. Having the housecleaners keep us disciplined enough. There are times when after I'm done picking up and putting stuff away, I'm like, Dayum, this place looks great! Who needs housecleaners??:p

lcarlson90
08-16-2010, 03:37 PM
We finally broke down and hired a house-keeper after DS2 arrived. We both work FT and we just couldn't keep up with the house. Our bathrooms got cleaned like once every 3 months, it was disgusting.

american_mama
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
My husband won't help pick up for the cleaners, so it falls to me while he sits and watches TV or sleeps. Which was the problem the housecleaners were supposed to prevent, right? Hence, one of my reasons to not want to re-hire them.

My housecleaners did the dishes, though, no matter how messy. I think this is rare. They did them badly, but they did it. Hence, one of my reasons for wanting them back. Other than cleaning the kitchen and picking up toys, I almost never did any cleaning in between their visits and I liked it that way.

I tried three different cleaners and thought the ones I hired were the best, but I still didn't like them much. And I too won't admit to neighbors that I had cleaners, partly because I think they'd think bad thoughts that I had housecleaners and my house STILL looks like it does most of the time. I don't feel guilty about having them, not exactly, becuase I think it's all about how one chooses to spend their time and money, no matter if you're a SAHM or WOHM. But I feel bad about them because I feel like having them is a sign of my own failure to be organized, establish a cleaning schedule, and discipline myself enough to do it.

And then there is the philosophical. Isn't part of living together as a family negotiating the work of caring for your home? Aren't the underlying problems still there if DH and I do everything the same except hire someone to come and clean up our messes? Are my children failing to develop any habits in picking up after themselves or any skills in cleaning house? But does any of this matter if you are angry and fighting about the mess?

I have a lot of ambivalence here.

DrSally
08-16-2010, 03:47 PM
For those of you that have cleaners, do you find it cuts down on chore/division of labor conflict with your spouse? It might be worth it for that feature alone....

KrisM
08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
My husband won't help pick up for the cleaners, so it falls to me while he sits and watches TV or sleeps. Which was the problem the housecleaners were supposed to prevent, right? Hence, one of my reasons to not want to re-hire them.

I don't feel guilty about having them, not exactly, becuase I think it's all about how one chooses to spend their time and money, no matter if you're a SAHM or WOHM. But I feel bad about them because I feel like having them is a sign of my own failures to be organized, establish a cleaning schedule, and discipline myself enough to do it.

My DH doesn't help either. When we stopped having them, I was supposed to get a block of time on Saturday to clean without interruption or he would do a handful of things. Neither has happened.

I do consider myself a homemaker, and I do most of the grocery shopping, the picking up, bill paying, cooking, laundry, while the I'm home with the kids. But, there are only so many hours in a day and my job is supposed to include doing things with/for the kids as well.

About feeling like a failure - some people go out to eat for dinner. That doesn't mean they can't cook or didn't plan well enough. It just means they enjoy someone else doing the cooking/cleaning up every now and then. Other hire people to mow their lawns or change the oil on their car. Just because you can't do every single thing all the time doesn't mean you're a failure.

Thelast time we had cleaners was 2 yeras ago. They came every other Wednesday morning. On Tuesday, I'd try to pick up as much as possible. On Wednesday morning, I'd dump as much as I could on my bed, in laundry baskets, etc. so they could clean. Not fun. I've worked pretty hard to purge and get things to a level that I can keep up. This past weekend got rid of my last 2 areas to tackle. I think if someone else was cleaning every week or every 2 weeks, it would be that much easier to keep up the organization part. I think every week would be more motivating to keep up and less likely to be out of control. I'm not sure we can afford every week though.

maestramommy
08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
For those of you that have cleaners, do you find it cuts down on chore/division of labor conflict with your spouse? It might be worth it for that feature alone....

We actually don't have that particular conflict. The only time we have conflict is on the issue of the kids, and me communicating when I need help with them. It's actually been Dh who suggested getting cleaners both times. We both know housework is my "jurisdiction" so when I was getting overwhelmed with life in general he suggest two things, hire the cleaners, and find a sitter:love5:

There are time when I wish I wasn't the only once clearing up the night before the cleaners come, and I did address this with him. Part of it is that there are things I don't know what he wants me to do with, and they are cluttering up space.

g-mama
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
:tongue5: It's stressful for me too, but I think it's good for us. Having the housecleaners keep us disciplined enough. There are times when after I'm done picking up and putting stuff away, I'm like, Dayum, this place looks great! Who needs housecleaners??:p

So true!! It does make me keep clutter down and stay on top of things/find a home for things. Doing that every other Tuesday night makes me wonder why I can't keep it that way all the time b/c it looks so much better. Yes, I definitely have the same "Dayum, this place looks great already!" thought, too. So funny. :D

edurnemk
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Oh, yeah, not having to vacuum, scrub toilets, mop floors, makes me a happier person. I have a lot more time for other things.

Having to pick up and declutter doesn't seem so bad when I don't have to do all that other stuff. I find that if I let stuff pile up it becomes really stressful and cleaning that up is a huge task. So I pick up after myself and DS as much as possible every evening and that way it doesn't feel like such a big task. The kitchen is the hardest place to keep tidy, though. I make DS "help" me pick up his toys before bedtime to make it a habit.

I also do ask DH to pick up his sutff when he leaves them lying around. His desk is hopeless however, so I don't even look that way.

LarsMal
08-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm a SAHM without cleaners. We pick up quite a bit, but I feel like the house doesn't get "cleaned" nearly enough. I think we'd benefit from having someone come in and do a top to bottom scour once or twice a year. Let them hit things like the baseboards, kitchen cabinets, and all the other little (or big) things I never think to clean.

DH actually does a fair share of the cleaning- he is the dust and vacuum man and I do the bathrooms, kitchen/floors, laundry, etc.

Fairy
08-16-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm a SAHM without cleaners. We pick up quite a bit, but I feel like the house doesn't get "cleaned" nearly enough. I think we'd benefit from having someone come in and do a top to bottom scour once or twice a year. Let them hit things like the baseboards, kitchen cabinets, and all the other little (or big) things I never think to clean.

DH actually does a fair share of the cleaning- he is the dust and vacuum man and I do the bathrooms, kitchen/floors, laundry, etc.

Jules, I vote you get one. You deserve some help!

kerridean
08-16-2010, 06:51 PM
SAHM mom here with no house cleaner. I do it all myself. I also do not have any help from family (none around...military). My husband is deployed so no help from him either.

egoldber
08-16-2010, 06:54 PM

This is exactly why we do it. It is just not worth the arguing over whose turn it is to clean the bathroom. And sorry, it is NOT fair that is it always MY turn, even when I was a SAHM, when HE creates most of the mess!!!! :rotflmao:

We first got cleaners when we were DINKs. He grew up with a housekeeper. My parents, no, never. When we were arguing about he suggested cleaners for a year before I agree to it. And seriously it was one of the best things we ever did for our marriage.

gordo
08-16-2010, 07:58 PM
We have a maid come every other week and I swear it saved our marriage! Neither my DH or I enjoy cleaning. We both work out of the house and until this past fall, commuted over an hour each way to our jobs. With two kids, the cleaning was just not getting done and it caused nothing but fights over whose turn it was to do what. Really we just didn't want to sacrifice our precious weekend time with our children to clean our house. Hiring a maid was one of the best decisions we have made for our family LOL

Neatfreak
08-16-2010, 09:12 PM
For sure it cuts down on tension in our relationship. Once we're no longer living overseas and back to a more traditional life in Canada, we'll have to negotiate a fair division of labour all over again. But I'll either be back in grad school or working.

DrSally
08-16-2010, 09:24 PM
This is exactly why we do it. It is just not worth the arguing over whose turn it is to clean the bathroom. And sorry, it is NOT fair that is it always MY turn, even when I was a SAHM, when HE creates most of the mess!!!! :rotflmao:

We first got cleaners when we were DINKs. He grew up with a housekeeper. My parents, no, never. When we were arguing about he suggested cleaners for a year before I agree to it. And seriously it was one of the best things we ever did for our marriage.

Well, DH specifically hires out yardwork b/c he doesn't want to waste weekends doing it, so maybe I should think about getting a cleaner eo/week for that purpose. With him out of town, I just don't feel like I can get deep cleaning done--days are spent running around and with day to day stuff. Then on weekends, we just want to get other stuff done, rather than cleaning. So, the mildew on the grout grows and grows....

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2010, 09:41 PM
My b-day present 3 years ago was supposed to be a cleaner every month AND that dh would pick up before the cleaner came. It happened 1 time that year and one other time in the 3 years. Still a bit bitter about that. I told him it wasn't a gift if I had to schedule it and do any work for it.

Beth

AnnieW625
08-16-2010, 09:47 PM
25% SAHMs with housecleaners? Wow, that is more than I expected!

Actually this doesn't surprise me at all based on the economic demographics of this board, which tend to be upper middle class based on past posts/polls that have been done on education, careers, and salaries.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-17-2010, 12:15 AM
i am a SAHM and we have cleaners come in once a month to thoroughly clean the kitchen & bathrooms. totally worth it for us. once DS is more mobile and we have more kids we'll probalby have them come over more often.

essnce629
08-17-2010, 06:01 AM

OH YES!!!

Honestly, we do it to prevent bickering. I hate cleaning and I especially hate cleaning bathrooms. I get very resentful because he does NOT clean and it all falls to me and I get mad and angry about it. So hiring cleaners is something we do for our marriage. :) Also they clean MUCH MUCH more thoroughly than I ever would.

Yep, I hear that! When we lived in our last place we had 2 1/2 bathrooms and I said I would clean the master bath and DBF could clean DS1's bathroom and the 1/2 bath since he was the only one who would ever use it. Well, DBF would NEVER do his part unless I nagged him about it 10 times and then he'd get mad at me for nagging! So either I'd have to nag him several times a week to do it or I'd just end up doing it all myself, which would make me resentful. This would be a weekly cycle and was very annoying. Now we have none of that. DBF also has a very busy job and doesn't get home till after 7pm most nights. The last thing he wants to do when he gets home after being gone for 11+ hours is start cleaning. The only "cleaning" he really ever does is taking out the trash and emptying the dishwasher.

essnce629
08-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Yep, I find it stressful too and I pretty much always have 2 laundry baskets overflowing with clean clothes that need to be folded and put away. I just smash all the clothes down in the baskets as best as I can and put the baskets up on my bed so she can vacuum the floor without them being in her way! But the house always looks awesome Thursday afternoon after she leaves!

Neatfreak
08-17-2010, 07:30 AM
Actually this doesn't surprise me at all based on the economic demographics of this board, which tend to be upper middle class based on past posts/polls that have been done on education, careers, and salaries.

I'd also add "based on how many strollers members tend to have" ;)