PDA

View Full Version : UTI symptoms?

DrSally
08-15-2010, 11:39 PM
DD has been crying the last few nights during the night (unusual). Last night I went in and her diaper was wet, so that seemed to help to change it. Also, today when I was wiping her while doing a dipe change, she cringed and shudded as if in pain. I looked, but didn't see anything unusual going on. Today when she urinated in her diaper, she told me and said "hurt". She doesn't have a fever. Is it possible to have a UTI wo/a fever? That's the only thing I could that that would make it hurt while peeing for a girl...

belovedgandp
08-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes, totally possible to have a UTI without a fever. A friend of mine just went through this with her daughter. Something about infections in the upper tract rarely have fevers associated with them. Her daughter was about 1 1/2 and similar; waking in the middle of the night which was out of her norm and just a little grumpy. Finally figured out she was getting somewhat awake and would urinate and then have pain and not able to go back to bed.

Tondi G
08-16-2010, 12:38 AM
I think it could absolutely be a UTI. It is a common cause of otherwise unexplained fevers in little girls but you don't have to have a fever to have a uti. I would see about having your ped do a urine culture just to make sure. Poor little thing, uti's suck!