PDA

View Full Version : Philips Avent DECT Monitor

PHBrow
08-16-2010, 08:08 AM
Hello. Is anyone using the Philips Avent DECT monitor (particularly model SCD520/00 or even model SCD510)?

I am trying to find a good monitor and want to one that has minimal interference (or the ability for my neighbors to pick our signal) but I've read some reviews that there may be problems w/ the battery or volume on this monitor.

Any feedback you can share would be great. Thanks!

KHF
08-16-2010, 12:14 PM
I bought that monitor to try out with DS...and returned it because I couldn't get the volume loud enough. It was right next to my son's crib, and the receiver was right next to my head and I could still barely hear him. No way in the world would it have awakened me if I had been asleep, and it definitely wouldn't have been usable if I was doing housework while he was napping.

TwoBees
08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
We have it and love it, with a few caveats. I think we have the 510.

Small parent unit
Nice belt clip
DECT (this was the most important feature and why we chose this monitor).

Dislikes:
So-so battery life
Only 1 parent unit

I want to explain something about the volume, because we had the same problem at first as PHBrow. The monitor adjusts to the background noise in the room, so that you don't constantly hear static. During these times (when the room is quiet except for background noise like a fan, gentle music from a mobile, etc), the monitor is absolutely silent. For a long time I thought it had turned off. I then realized that when it picks up a sound different from the background noise (ie, when DD cries), it "turns on." You hear the sound and the lights on the front light up to indicate the volume of that sound. You can adjust the senitivity to screen out more or less background noise.

More about the battery: the battery drains faster when the volume and sensitivity are at the max level. The monitor will NOT get you through 24 hours on a single charge if oyu have the volume and sensitivity level at the max. However, we found that we don't need both at the max (because it is *that* sensitive) and we mostly use the monitor at night, so it remains plugged in on one of our nightstands, and the battery isn't an issue that way.

BabyBearsMom
08-16-2010, 12:58 PM
We have the Sony monitor and it's great if you are looking for something that won't cause much interference. DH is the king of gadget so everything in our house is wireless (I swear we own one of everything that Best Buy and the Apple Store sell, it is out of control), and it took us a few tries to find a monitor that wasn't interfering with our other electronics. The Sony is the only one that has worked perfectly. We have a 3 level home and it works great between levels. I can also take it out to the mail box and the back yard (when I bring the dog out) without a problem.

KHF
08-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Our DD's original Sony Babycall monitor was the one we were trying to replace with the Philips one...it was in death throes after almost 5 years of constant use (I'll take that longevity). After returning the Philips one, we ended up buying another Sony Babycall (this time on one with 2 receivers). It works just as wonderfully as the first one did, and we're in a 3 level house as well.