PDA

View Full Version : Pricing stuff for yard sale, need pointers

hellokitty
08-16-2010, 08:44 AM
OK, so I am doing a yard sale to raise $ for our local LLL. I need some pointers as to how to price things. We have...

Some baby gear, snap n go, mobile, new crib sets, diaper bags, etc.

Baby clothes

Kids toys, lots of smaller stuff like happy meal toys and matchbox cars, I was thinking of doing a pick 3 for a buck type of thing

Kids books

Household items

Adult clothing/shoes

hellokitty
08-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Also, I have robeez and LL Bean robeez, all which look NEW. What would be reasonable to ask?

vonfirmath
08-16-2010, 09:17 AM
OK, so I am doing a yard sale to raise $ for our local LLL. I need some pointers as to how to price things. We have...

Some baby gear, snap n go, mobile, new crib sets, diaper bags, etc.

Baby clothes

Kids toys, lots of smaller stuff like happy meal toys and matchbox cars, I was thinking of doing a pick 3 for a buck type of thing

Kids books

Household items

Adult clothing/shoes

I'd be tempted to put happy meal toys in a get 1 free grab box. Or maybe a nickel.

Matchbox cars I'd pay 25 cents for, so 3/$1 is probably decent.

MamaMolly
08-16-2010, 11:36 AM
It might make things easier for you to do a one-price-per-item for things that you have a lot of like the baby clothes.
I always price things to get rid of them, not really to make money. If you make a sign that it is a fundraiser I bet you could charge more! But if I were pricing things to move, I'd do:

Baby clothes: $1 per item
Used Robees (with any shiny on the sole):$1. if they look new, new, new then more. I have found that these just don't sell in my area. :shrug:
books :25 cents each or 5 for $1. Same for the cars. (people will be tempted to buy more that way!)
mobile: $5
crib sets: $10 (who uses these?? I know who buys them, my sister. She bought something like seven and never used it. Sheesh!)
diaper bags: $5 unless it is a fancy name brand like JJB or Petunia Picklebottom, etc.

belovedgandp
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
My rule of them is around 10% of new retail. So the about a $1 per clothing item and other lumps like that.

Nicer items - less wear, bigger ticket, lots of use left - can go 20-25% of new at a garage sale.

Some items depend on how much you want them to move vs making money vs haggling over prices.