PDA

View Full Version : Taking a not so mini trip in the 3rd Trimester

rkold
08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I live in CT and my younger brother who lives out in SoCal is getting married Labor Day week end. I'm going to be around week 33 when we (me, DH and my parents) travel out there. It's my first pregnancy and so far everything has been normal. The baby is doing well. (I've had really bad morning sickness that never completely vanished) I checked with my doctors/mid wife and they all OK'ed the trip, the airline I am flying shouldn't have a problem with my flying, and my husband looked at the insurance in case the baby comes early. Am I still crazy for doing this though? Any other advice for the trip? I'm currently trying to figure out hotels.

luckytwenty
08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
I did this with my other two pregnancies. I flew at 30 and 32 weeks, both for reasons related to DH's job search (needing to find a place to live shortly after the baby arrived.)

It wasn't fun, I'll be honest. But I arrived home in one piece both times. With the 32 week flight, I had some pretty painful BH contractions during the flight and tremendous swelling.

Hopefully it will go well for you. I doubt you'd go into labor or anything in transit. You just might be uncomfortable.

sste
08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
I had a very similar flying schedule to luckytwenty. I operate with a mental due date of 38 weeks and so I try not to fly beyond 34 weeks.

That said, the trip I did at 32 weeks was exhausting . . . perhaps esp because that one was not business and I was chasing around after a two year old.

My advice: 1) try to get your hotel as close to wedding/activities as possible - - you will appreciate the ability to run back to your room for a quick nap or rest; 2) bring a water bottle with you everywhere; 3) do not let travel interrupt your meals - - at least for me I def. feel physically worse and in fact kind of emotional when I skip too many meals or eat too late. Just take the time/spend the money to ensure you have three meals at your more or less normal time.

rkold
08-16-2010, 12:28 PM
It wasn't fun, I'll be honest. But I arrived home in one piece both times. With the 32 week flight, I had some pretty painful BH contractions during the flight and tremendous swelling.

Hopefully it will go well for you. I doubt you'd go into labor or anything in transit. You just might be uncomfortable.

Yeah, DH thinks she is going to come late, but thought it better to be safe than sorry in terms of looking into what is needed in case she does.

Did you have any probs w/swelling earlier in the pregnancy?

My advice: 1) try to get your hotel as close to wedding/activities as possible - - you will appreciate the ability to run back to your room for a quick nap or rest; 2) bring a water bottle with you everywhere; 3) do not let travel interrupt your meals - - at least for me I def. feel physically worse and in fact kind of emotional when I skip too many meals or eat too late. Just take the time/spend the money to ensure you have three meals at your more or less normal time.

Unfortunately, that is impossible. :( The ceremony is Friday night in Arcadia and the reception is Saturday day time in Westminister which are I think more than an hour apart by car. I've been thinking of splurging and staying in a really nice hotel with a pool to try to make things more restful. I love being in the pool! I'm arriving Wed @ noon to try to give myself a chance to settle in before everything starts.

I always bring a water bottle with me everywhere now. :D

And yeah I have to eat every 2-3 hours for the most part or I wind up getting super nauseous.

Thanks for the responses and assurances. I'm really hoping somehow I can upgrade to First Class. We're flying from our small more local airport to Chicago and then transferring to a flight to one of the smaller CA airports closer to where my brother lives.

MamaMolly
08-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I guess the worst case scenario is if you go into early labor, deliver in So Cal, and then the baby isn't discharged for a few weeks or months. Think ahead and decide what you would do, and choose accordingly. Could you stay in Ca with the baby?

FWIW I flew 14 hours 'home' when I was 32 weeks with DD1. I went into labor and delivered her at 36 weeks. Perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy. She only spent 4 days in the NICU. With DD2 I flew one hour at 34 weeks and delivered on her exact due date. Again, a normal, healthy pregnancy. So you never know what will happen ;)

elektra
08-17-2010, 01:43 AM
I took a trip to Hawaii at 30 weeks and it was great. I wasn't huge though and it was a lot of laying around on the beach. The flight was no prob.
I'm guessing that there are family issues at play with the whole ceremony in Arcadia on one day and the reception the next day all the way in Westminster, but that really makes it difficult for the guests!

rkold
08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
I guess the worst case scenario is if you go into early labor, deliver in So Cal, and then the baby isn't discharged for a few weeks or months. Think ahead and decide what you would do, and choose accordingly. Could you stay in Ca with the baby?

Yeah.. that was my big fear mostly because I would prefer not to be stuck out there. I sell things via the internet, so it's not a job/income problem so much as a mounting hotel bills/missing DH/missing my parents/Jewish Holidays. But so far there are no obvious signs of her coming pre-term and I'm trying to keep the trip on the shorter side. I am going to discuss it one more time with my practitioners as well.

DC has already made two trips to Japan in utero just fine, though one was in the 1st trimester and one was in the 2nd. I had very little swelling with either flight but lots of nausea (and vomiting on the 2nd trip).

I took a trip to Hawaii at 30 weeks and it was great. I wasn't huge though and it was a lot of laying around on the beach. The flight was no prob.
I'm guessing that there are family issues at play with the whole ceremony in Arcadia on one day and the reception the next day all the way in Westminster, but that really makes it difficult for the guests!

I don't really know if I'm huge since this is my first >>;; But I know if I can spend a lot of time at the pool the trip could be quite lovely for me.

I don't really know the details and can't ask because future SiL and brother are super stressed out right now. ^_^;; Future SiL has always wanted to get married at some very lovely arboretum in Arcadia. The reception is being held at some large well known catering hall in Westminster. I think her family mostly lives in the Irvine area? My SoCal geography is a bit shaky.

We're thinking of staying in Anaheim. I might splurge and stay at Disney even though I don't want to visit the parks since I imagine there are few rides they will let pregnant women on. The pools at the hotels look fantastic though. The rest of the family wants to stay in Irvine or Santa Ana? A lot of the hotels in Irvine seem to be a similar price to Anaheim or higher and have fewer amenities.

sewarsh
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
No, you'll be fine. Maybe uncomforable on plane, but okay otherwise.