PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Red Beans and Rice

Jen841
08-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Found this in an old Cooking Light Annual addition and it is our new favorite cp recipe. I recommend doubling the recipe (1X got a bit too done during the work day + kid activities). I put it on @8:00 and turned it off around 6:00 pm.

Enjoy!

This is the ultimate in thriftiness and convenience - beans in a slow cooker. The long, slow cooking time coaxes all the flavor from the sausage into the beans for a mild yet full-flavored dish. You can also cook in on low heat for 8 hours.

Even better the second time (or third as I eat it for lunch now.)

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup bean mixture, 3/4 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon green onions)

Ingredients
3 cups water
1 cup dried red kidney beans
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper (I used the Trader Joe's frozen peppers)
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 (14-ounce) package turkey, pork, and beef smoked sausage, thinly sliced (such as Healthy Choice) - I used Hillshire Farm lower fat variety that I had in the freezer)
1 bay leaf
5 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
1/4 cup chopped green onions
Preparation
Combine first 12 ingredients in an electric slow cooker. Cover with lid; cook on high heat for 5 hours. Discard bay leaf; stir in salt. Serve over rice; sprinkle servings evenly with green onions.

Nutritional Information
Calories:413 (5% from fat)
Fat:2.5g (sat 0.7g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.5g)
Protein:21.1g
Carbohydrate:76.3g
Fiber:10.1g
Cholesterol:18mg
Iron:6mg
Sodium:749mg
Calcium:102mg

trentsmom
08-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Ooh, I love red beans and rice! I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks for posting!

danagee
08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
THANK YOU! :applause:

nrp
08-17-2010, 04:46 PM
I have the CL slow cooker cookbook, and it looks to be the same red beans and rice recipe. I had trouble getting my beans tender the first couple of times that I made it (maybe a batch of old beans??), but I found that an overnight soak (which isn't in the directions) made the beans super soft and yummy. Just a suggestion if anyone else has the same problem!

Glad you posted - this will be a good meal next week for when school starts and things get crazy. I have a newish rice cooker that will make this ridiculously easy.

bigsis
08-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Thanks for sharing! I lost my other Crockpot Red Beans & Rice recipe and this is very close to it.

Don't forget the cornbread! Yummmm!

danagee
08-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Made this today, very yummy & it smells good while it's cooking.
I used 2 cups of soaked kidney beans & 3 cups of water but next time will cut down the water by about 1 cup becuase it came out pretty watery (but that didn't affect the taste).
Thanks for sharing.