PDA

View Full Version : What's on your nesting list?

ewpmsw
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Flipping through daytime TV, waiting impatiently for DD #2 to get things moving, and found myself rolling eyes at the description of one of those baby shows: "A couple doesn't have their nursery ready and their dog just had puppies." In my infinite, BTDT, mommy wisdom, my first thought was, "Please. No big deal. They don't NEED to have the nursery finished to bring baby home..." Then I remembered the stuff I've fretted over and fussed at DH about in the last week alone, stuff that NEEDS to be done for me to feel ready to bring home baby:

- Clean the lid of the trash can
- Vac the upstairs hall
- Organize the stuff on the deck
- Put car mats down in new car
- Clean up DH's desk

Yeah. Having an unfinished nursery is really no biggie. :wink2:

swissair81
08-16-2010, 03:30 PM
On the top of my list is anything that requires going out & walking a lot. I've been jumping up and down this week & apparently it's helping. Baby is moving on down. Other than that, I don't care about anything anymore. My dd's school apparently doesn't feel the need to send us a supply list 2.5 weeks before school starts. So I'm hoping they won't mind when dd shows up to school with no supplies. I have no time for this.

ewpmsw
08-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Did the school just decide to skip sending the list to parents and forward it to Target? Feels like every store around here is working from the same list...

I totally feel you about not caring about much - I'm restless and doing a lot of walking, but I don't give a darn about TV, computer, socializing, reading, or much else. I don't even want to go to a prenatal/centering group tomorrow (which I love). I am DONE. Haven't tried jumping up and down, but it's sounding tempting.

swissair81
08-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Seriously, at night I turn on my ipod & I bounce around my basement for an hour. I must be doing something right. Baby is shimmying on down.

I actually called the school just now & requested the list for dd's class. They let me come and get it, so I'm happy. They did say that hopefully they will be mailing it out tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it in my mailbox. They are doing major construction on the school & they hope it will be done in time.
I have no patience for anything, but I went to Target today just so I could drag myself around the store, all the while feeling like the baby is going to fall out at any moment.

luckytwenty
08-16-2010, 06:16 PM
I feel like this whole pregnancy has been all about nesting. I've kind of gone into some sort of weird "consumerism overdrive" where I need to investigate every single baby related purchase (and we don't have many to make as this is #3) with the thoroughness I might have previously investigated a car purchase or a mortgage option. I have 11 weeks to go so plenty of time to worry about the nursery, but in other departments, we're more than set. It's kind of embarrassing.

bostonsmama
08-16-2010, 10:13 PM
I also have plenty of time to go, but I've been very unsettled not having:
1) a car seat to take her home in
2) a mattress for the crib OR a bassinet/pack n play (I want her to room-in, but not be in my tiny bed w/ DH)

It's hard b/c I get anxious about it sometimes, whereas I could care less about the nursery itself. So many babies don't even start sleeping in their "nursery" until 2-3 months, so NBD! I just need a way to take her home and a place for her to rest her head.

Roni
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
We have to get the nursery ready b/c we have decided to have me sleep there with the baby, instead of having the baby sleep with us. That way dh can get some sleep and be available for the girls in the morning and we won't have to go through transitioning the baby to its own room down the road. And, no, the nursery isn't ready, but at least the girls are moved out of it and into their new room.

My other big thing that has to be done is to get the car cleaned out and the car seat installed.

The girls and I are getting haircuts today. Dd#1's school supplies are bought, & rumor has it that dd#2's teacher takes care of the supplies. We finished the back-to-school shoe and clothes shopping yesterday. Dd1 is going to need new tap shoes, but other than that they should be set for a while.

swissair81
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
I also have plenty of time to go, but I've been very unsettled not having:
1) a car seat to take her home in
2) a mattress for the crib OR a bassinet/pack n play (I want her to room-in, but not be in my tiny bed w/ DH)

It's hard b/c I get anxious about it sometimes, whereas I could care less about the nursery itself. So many babies don't even start sleeping in their "nursery" until 2-3 months, so NBD! I just need a way to take her home and a place for her to rest her head.

Why don't you look at the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper? It comes in regular size & mini & it attaches to the side of your bed- but the baby has his/her own space.

As for carseats, you can't go wrong with either a Graco Snugride or a Chicco Keyfit.

OctoberMommy2010
08-17-2010, 09:17 PM
I have been going crazy lately (I'm 32 weeks) really stressing myself out about having everything clean and in its place. This nesting thing is real, huh? In fact, I had my car detailed today - bubye dog hair! I called a cleaning service about getting a quote for a "deep clean" in some rooms of the house (bathroom.) I don't trust DH and my tubby butt can't do it as well as I used to. The nursery has been 90% completed for some time now. We just have some finishing touches to go. I have been thinking about every corner that needs sweeped, every shelf that needs dusted and every curtain that needs washed. It's STRESSING ME OUT!

LadyPeter
08-19-2010, 08:09 AM
I've been on a de-junking kick...taking tons of stuff to consignment stores and Goodwill, throwing things away, etc. Other things on my list:

Finish ALL the laundry.
Get our vents vacuumed.
Shampoo the carpets.
Get a closet organizer for the nursery (to sort all those little clothes by size).

My husband's list:
Weed and mulch the flower beds. Cut plants down for fall.
Get a Dumpster and clean out the garage and basement.

I'm feeling pretty good about this. Looks a lot like our usual fall to-do list and not too crazy.

BeccaB.
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Clean entire house to mother in law standards, car seats inspected -DS1 is going to have to start riding forward facing, clean basement, vaccum and dust everything in sight, scrub bathroom floors. Better go get started. 2 cm dialated 50 percent effaced. Why am I even on the computer?

lovebebes
09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
I think ive seriously overnested already and am almost out of things to do...a few things i do have left i am purposely not doing because im afraid to have literally nothing left to do..im about to be 32 weeks...

ive decluttered every hidden messy spot...bought just about everything i needed and wanted, with the exception of the nursing pillow and pump parts.

Looking forward to having someone come and do deep cleaning since the only one who usually cleans around here is me-but again, I dont even want to do that yet because its just too early.

Maybe ill go pack my hospital bag just to entertain myself?!