PDA

View Full Version : Which for goody bag?

Twoboos
08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
<poll coming>

I am trying to avoid the bag-o-crap goody bag for DD2's bday party. Which do you think is better? Aluminum water bottle ($2) or color your own pillow case ($3). Both will have pencils with them since it seems I have bought about 10pks of pencils for some reason...

ETA: I specified Aluminum water bottle b/c I'm not sure if people would have a problem w/aluminum, and if everyone has so many already. Also, I do not know what the pillowcase is made of, probably some poly/cotton blend. Has outlines of pics and you color them in.

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't want a water bottle. It's big to store and we already have a few. The pillowcase is cool. It's a project and a usable item.

Beth

Sweetum
08-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I voted for "other". I don't like Aluminum esp for water. Pillowcase, well, I'm not so sure. Definitely not the bag-o-crap. depending on the age, how about a paintable t-shirt? some how, I'm not feelng the love for a pillowcase :D

boogiemomz
08-16-2010, 03:07 PM
I voted for the water bottle. I would be excited to get that as a party favor, but I guess a lot of kids already have them. I don't love the pillowcase idea, but that could be a big hit with some kids. Make your own T-shirt sounds like a fun idea.

baileygirl
08-16-2010, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't use the water bottle, but would let ds use the pillowcase.

pinkmomagain
08-16-2010, 03:28 PM
What's the age of the children? That might influence my decision. While I'm all for practical, useful goody bags, I also like to delight guests too...a little *wow*.

HonoluluMom
08-16-2010, 03:39 PM
I voted other.

How about a "make your own photo frame" kit. I remember my niece had one for one of her parties and it was foam-like/styrofoam-like material with cut-outs you could stick on. You can take a photo of all the kids at the party and have them decorate the frame.

chottumommy
08-16-2010, 04:41 PM
How about not giving anything for the party? I would love to break free of the whole goody bag thing even if it is a well thought out well intentioned gift because everything including bottles and pillowcases in the end collect dust.

Maybe a a $5 gift cert to the local ice-cream place or to Barnes and Nobles and parents can combine and buy whatever they choose.

KpbS
08-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Love the pillowcase idea. I don't like aluminum for water bottles. Have a fun party!

Twoboos
08-16-2010, 04:52 PM
... everything including bottles and pillowcases in the end collect dust.

Jeez, really? I figured the water bottles would be used for sports/travel/etc., and everyone uses a pillowcase! By that reasoning the item from B&N will collect dust too... well, at least in our house where all things are dusty, lol.

I also thought of doing cold packs for back-to-school lunches, I saw some at the Target dollar spot.

<sigh>

roobee
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I vote for personalized stickers/labels from http://stores.ebay.com/gloriaspreciouskidsgarden

I just ordered some and they came super fast and they're cute, you can order 6 sets for the price of 5 AND do 2 names per set - so, personalized favors for 12 children for $20.

I'm weird about water bottles and even pillow cases (don't like aluminum and like 100% cotton).

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I really do like consumables- good consumables vs junk candy. Etsy has adorable b-day party favor cookies and candies, for example:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/favorsgalorenmore?section_id=6230565

I love something like a gc to an ice cream place but then out of the woodwork on here (or maybe IRL) you'll get someone complain that they don't want their kid to have ice cream. You really can't satisfy everyone. Just do what you like and don't worry. :) When in doubt, go for the smaller item b/c if it does end up not being used it isn't too big for the family to store.

Beth

chottumommy
08-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Jeez, really? I figured the water bottles would be used for sports/travel/etc., and everyone uses a pillowcase! By that reasoning the item from B&N will collect dust too... well, at least in our house where all things are dusty, lol.

I also thought of doing cold packs for back-to-school lunches, I saw some at the Target dollar spot.

<sigh>

People have preferences for water bottles and a lot of people already have several, so one more to the list might not be useful. As far as pillowcases, some people might not like things that donot go with the decor.

I agree even a B&N card would collect dust :)

sste
08-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I have gotten positive feedback from parents on etsy all-glycerin specialty shaped soaps (we had tractors one year to match a bday theme). The feedback was that the parents loved a gift that disappears after several uses!

mom2one
08-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I copied this idea from a friend. She bought personalized labels to go around a hershey's candy bar. (a local lady has her own business and makes them)

You can but whatever you want on the label and tie it into your theme. Ours had some sort of spider man guy on it says thanks for coming to my party, I had a blast.

I can PM yup her info if you would like to work with her,

Fairy
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Ooh, the water bottle is AWESOME idea. Love.

Gracemom
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
The best "goody" we've received was a wrapped book that the mom had picked out for each child. Most were $1 or $2, and some were sticker or coloring books. The kids loved unwrapping their own "gift" and we could always use another book!

rlu
08-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Maybe a a $5 gift cert to the local ice-cream place or to Barnes and Nobles and parents can combine and buy whatever they choose.

$2.25 buys a kid size cone at Baskins Robbins.

eta: I bought stainless steel water bottles, not alum. I voted pillowcase but like the BR gift cert idea since we have one down the street from us.

Melaine
08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
If the water bottle were SS, I would vote for it, but we don't use aluminum for health reasons. I think the pillowcase is a really fun idea though! I think my kids would love that.

Fairy
08-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh wait ... Stainless Steel only; no aluminum.

khm
08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
In theory, I like the idea of the water bottle or the pillow case. They are "usable" items.

But, the reality is that I wouldn't use either. The water bottle, as others have said, we don't use aluminum water bottles.

For the pillow case, well, I'm NOT crazy into the decor of their rooms. I mean, they are nice, but not Apartment Therapy worthy or anything. Even at my loooooow level of interest in the decor of their rooms, they do have nice, comfy, matching pillowcases and I just don't see that I'd use a decorated one from a party. Sorry!

Usable favors is kind of like the myth of the "bridesmaid dress they'll wear again". I'm sure it happens, but it's fairly rare. :) So, I stopped trying for that, personally.

Plain jane balloons are honestly the most played with items out of all the goody bags we've received. Seriously. They'll fight tooth and nail over balloons. Also popular are the big balloons on a rubberband, punching bag style (Target often has these in an endcap with other cheap stuff). After balloons, a close second is those rubber super bouncy balls.

Twoboos
08-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Not to worry, I am going to do live goldfish instead.

(See other post about birthday party-don'ts.)

:hysterical:

babybunny
08-16-2010, 08:40 PM
That is hysterical.

DrSally
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I've thought of the aluminum bottle thing too, but then realized that I don't like aluminum, so a lot of other people wouldn't either. If they're SS, that would be better, although you can't get a SS for $5. We've only had family parties so far, so the goodie bags for neices and nephews have been personalized (and I've spent more like $10 each since there were fewer kids). I've done mini bakugan (sp), character themed notepads, glitter glue, mini character tins from seasonal clearance (filled with candy at the time, but really for the purpose of carrying around and filling up), mini shopping basket from dollar store instead of "bag", water splash balls for a pool party...

ray7694
08-16-2010, 09:23 PM
For my ds 6th birthday I picked up a package of foam bookmarks and foam stick on stickers at the dollar store. They made the craft as everyone was arriving. I gave books for the take home gift.

I also have given a container of glow sticks from the dollar store to each child.

amandabea
08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm also in the consumables camp. So crayons, coloring book, themed soap or cookie, etc. Maybe just do a balloon tied to a pencil. As far as non-consumables that I like, how about a personalized luggage tag (easy to make if you have access to a laminator), reusable bag, or washcloth. If the gift will be part or a craft project, then picture frame, t-shirt, door hanger, or placemat.

Twoboos
08-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Just to clarify a little:

The party is at the Little Gym, so it's not a craft for the party, but a take-home item.

The bday girl is turning 5, but kids there will vary from 3-almost 7.

The pillowcase is similar to this. But not by Crayola, and not with fabric crayons (markers instead). But it's still designs/pictures you color. I should take a closer look at them to see fabric content, etc.

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/crayola-color-your-own-pillowcase-butterfly.html?utm_source=crayola-color-your-own-pillowcase-butterfly&utm_medium=shopping_engine&utm_campaign=shoppingproducts

I thought it might be fun and a little different. Craft you can keep. MIL recently sewed some random Fancy Nancy pillow cases for the girls, and they love them and don't seem to notice/care they don't match the sheets. I also think I heard of someone giving fun pillowcases as a bday gift!

DrSally
08-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I like the pillowcase craft, much preferable to a bag o cr*p.

HannaAddict
08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Balloons, punching balloon as pp mentioned, cute little notebook to go with pencil for a "journal" or stickers or inexpensive book. I would not do a freezer pack for a lunch since it just isn't "fun" or the water bottle or pillow case. Glow sticks are fun or hair clips are fun too for little girls. But a balloon is really something they all seem to like. And serves as decor during the party!

mariza
08-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I'm not much for goody bags and try to avoid them at all costs (both giving and receiving). If given a choice I would prefer getting a small book, there are usually some decent selections in the Target dollar spot.