PDA

View Full Version : Help me with planning first birthday (got kind of long)

YouAreTheFocus
08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Ds's first birthday is coming up in about 7 weeks. I have never been to a first birthday party and am totally clueless as to what the "norm" is. My Mom keeps on insisting that we have it at some kid place (like Gymboree or a play cafe), but I think this would be kind of lost on DS at 1, and there is only ONE other child coming (the guests will be: Me, DH, DS, MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL, my mom, my aunt, 4 of our friends & a 2 yr old). Both of our families are coming from across the country for this.

So, where to have it (our condo is too small). My first thought was a restaurant for maybe brunch or lunch? This would be super easy, since we wouldn't really have to do anything, but it could get expensive and probably wouldn't be much fun for DS.

Another option is the "party room" in our building which we can get for $50. This room has a huge couch, tables/chairs, fridge, sink, micro (no stove), and bathroom. Plently of crawling space for DS, and we could easily bring whatever we need for him (toys, highchair, etc). But then I am lost on the food. Order trays of stuff? Order from a restaurant? How to keep it hot? And what meal should it be?

I feel kind of pressured that it be a nice/major event since everyone is traveling from so far to be there. And DH's family are not the "being there is all that matters" types. They are super picky about food & things being done "right." This is why I was first leaning towards a restaurant, so I'd be less likely to get blamed for the food, etc.

And then there's decorations, invites, themes, etc etc...feeling overwhelmed here. And I haven't even gotten into the weird family dynamics that we'll be dealing with!

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree with you and wouldn't really do a kid place. It wouldn't be necessary for him (heck, just give him a balloon...preferably one covered in a balloon cover from Etsy :)...and I bet he'll be happy anywhere!). I like the party room idea a lot. It's convenient in case he needs some quiet time (my ds1 did during his 1st b-day party). Having it catered would make it very easy. You could also do things in crockpots though like chili, bbq and other things. You could run upstairs and get food too.

A Gymboree place would be easy but what would all those adults do there? It's designed for a gaggle of kids to run around and play but it doesn't look like you have a lot of kids coming.

You need to set the foundation for what is right for you and your family now before the years tick on and every year is stressful trying to please others. It's your ds1 and your party. Just repeat that to yourself. :)

A highchair with some decorations on it and a few toys are all youd' need for him in the party room. Oh, and a change of clothes in case the cake is messy (as it should be ;)).

Go to BirthdayExpress.com or FamilyFun.com for themes and ideas.

GL!
Beth

goldenpig
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Congrats on your son's upcoming 1st birthday! Great that your family is all coming but try not to let them stress you out so much. Don't let DH's relatives try to pressure you into doing something more elaborate than you wanted. Have the kind of party that YOU want and can afford and that will be comfortable for you and DS. I would suggest not going to a restaurant, it is too difficult with a toddler and he will get antsy and you will be stressed out trying to control where he wanders and keeping him quiet. Gymboree and other kid venues are a waste at his age and especially if only one other kid is coming (plus not as fun for the adults)...wait till he is older. The party room at your condo sounds perfect. I would do easy food...Costco is great for affordable party food. They have fruit and vegetable trays, cake or cupcake cake (or from Safeway or your local grocery), a few snacks and drinks (milk/juice for the kids, soda/water for the adults). Often you can get a free little cake for baby's first birthday from the grocery so that he can have one to smash/eat. For the main dish you could have pizza delivered or deli sandwiches (Subway or Costco) or get some takeout or catering from a local restaurant (if you want to go fancier). We have done party trays from Panda Express for a couple of our parties and it's really easy, cheap and tastes good (especially for the price). Don't try to make an elaborate meal or cook that day, you will be stressed out and won't enjoy the party or have time to talk to everyone. As for themes, if your son has a favorite toy (trains, teddy bears, jungle animals, Elmo, etc) you could go with that or just go with a generic Baby's 1st Birthday theme...you can browse some of the party supply stores online like Oriental Trading or Birthday Express or Birthday in a Box to see some of the decorations/themes they have for 1st birthday. Also, keep the party short and start/end early so he doesn't get overtired and cranky. Hope this helps and good luck!

sste
08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
For DS's first birthday, we had it in our house and it was basically a party for us (the adults)! We did a Sunday brunch as I thought it would be cheaper/easier. I pre-made stratas and served them room temperature with a veggie salad and a fruit salad. In a party room, you could have a make your own waffle station (pre-made batter and bowls of pretty toppings) - - I think you can rent wafflers or better yet borrow from friends. Or just order out.

However, what I thought was key to everyone's party enjoyment was that we had mimosas and if I recall a sparkling fruit punch. A little bit of alcohol takes the edge off even the most critical relative . . .

HonoluluMom
08-16-2010, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't do it at a Gymboree place if it's mainly adults.

Also, personally, I view DD's first birthday as a pretty big event. I'm planning an event that hopefully we'll all remember and when DD gets older she can look at the photos and see how much she was/is loved.

For DD's first birthday party, we're going to be having Sunday brunch at an upscale hotel in Honolulu. The food/location will definitely make the adults happy. There will be small favors. In addition, I'm going to give surprise gifts to all family members at the brunch - a framed photo of DD taken at a photo studio and a commemorative gift. DD will hopefully enjoy the hotel as well because there are dolphins on the hotel grounds (the reason why I chose this particular hotel).

After brunch, everyone will be going to my house to open gifts and to eat cake. My living room will decorated, although not extensively - probably lots of balloons (which DD just loves), banner, etc. I decided to do gifts and cake at the house so DD can rest if she needs to.