PDA

View Full Version : Is this just a kid playing with language?

HIU8
08-16-2010, 03:36 PM
DS is 5.5 yrs old. A few weeks ago he started talking abut himself in the 3rd person. So for the last 3 weeks that is how he has spoken. He won't tell us why. He will only say I or me when reminded. I don't know why he is doing this. Maybe b/c he knows he is going to a new school in a few weeks? Maybe he is playing with language? Anyone have a DC who has done this around the same age? Did you do anything, ignore it etc...?

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
DD (4) just started doing this also. I'll ask the speech teacher tomorrow, but I think I remember it being a normal phase. It is driving DH nuts, though.

HIU8
08-16-2010, 04:03 PM
I figured it was normal. DS is about a yr behind in maturity, so it would make sense as to why he is starting it now. It is driving us bonkers though. DS starts group speech in school in 3 weeks. I cannot wait!!!

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2010, 04:09 PM
I decided to go ahead with private speech and see if we could knock out some issues before doing the school dropoff/pickup thing. I think it is working pretty well! She's self-correcting a lot. I hope your DS will get lots out of it as well!

HIU8
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
We have not addressed speech issues with DS as of yet. He has sounds he cannot pronounce (1 or 2 of them). He is doing this third person thing. At age 3 he studdered fro about 6 months (a speech therapist told us to let it go and see if it goes away in 6-8 months--if it did don't worry, if not seek speech help). DS is s tongue thruster and will need speech therapy for that (as well as orthodontia just like mommy unfortunately). We have had some consults with private therapists and they all say to wait until at least age 6 b/c the more compliant the child the better the therapy works. In DS's case we add 6 months to a year to that for maturity purposes.

jenstring95
08-16-2010, 10:09 PM
My DS talked about himself in the third person also at about 4.5 or so. It only lasted a week or two, though.