PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the nontoxic kitchen mamas

firsttimemama
08-16-2010, 07:29 PM
-need to replace my baking/cookie sheets - is there a preference? or just your typical nonstick cookie sheet?

-is silicone ok in the kitchen?

-need to replace my dishes - anything to look for or avoid? don't need anything super fancy.. do like nontoxic though

Sweetum
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
-need to replace my dishes - anything to look for or avoid? don't need anything super fancy.. do like nontoxic though

I've stopped using non-stick. There is concern over the non-stick coating. I've replaced my non-stick cookware with Stainless steel from cuisinart. there was a thread sometime ago about recommended cookware. I think all-clad was highly recommended, but it does cost quite a bit. I'm happy with my cuisnart (I think I got it for $100 on amazon).

Not sure about the rest since I don't use the oven much for cooking or baking. When I do bake, I don't mind using the non-stick or Aluminum sheets I already have. I do prefer making casseroles in pyrex ware. I don't know about silicone.

bostonsmama
08-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I think NordicWare sells a non-teflon-coated aluminum cookie sheet at various stores (Walmart et al). I have one of those and another non-coated AirBake pan. I actually like the way the cookies turn out better on it. It bakes more evenly, and esp w/ cookies where you're not supposed to grease the pan, you don't get that massive spreading of batter/thin/over-baked cookies. I do often use parchment paper with it for ease of cleanup (vs spraying w/ Pam & dealing w/ burn-ons of that mess).

daisymommy
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
If you're looking for non-toxic you do NOT want to use anything non-stick.

You could go with stainless steel or stoneware (Pampered Chef is my favorite):
Rectangle Stone http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=164&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=
Bar Pan http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=174&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=
Muffin Pan http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=1016&catId=9&parentCatId=9&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=

The cheapest option would be to line your current pans with a Silpat (silicone baking matt, works like parchment paper), or silicone muffin cup liners. "Green" scientists all say that silicone is safe, doesn't contain or leech out any chemicals, But personally, I'm always afraid they'll change their mind someday in the future.

For pots and pans, this Tramontina triple-ply stainless steel set gets nearly as good of reviews as All-Clad. You can buy it by the piece too:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-10-Piece-18-10-Stainless-Steel-TriPly-Clad-Cookware-Set/11072505?findingMethod=rr

For dishes, I have a Wilton set, and I know that many people really love their Fiestaware dishes.

Katigre
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't use any nonstick in my kitchen. My baking dishes are glass (Pyrex) and Stoneware (Pampered Chef but I've noticed other companies making them too).

For dishes I use glass for the kids (tempered glass, doesn't break when dropped) and ceramic for adults - but i'm not convinced the ceramic is entirely safe (i.e., lead-free) b/c when they tested tons of dishes a few years ago many of them had lead. I still use it though and don't worry about it, though we do use pyrex for cereal bowls too and I love eating out of glass.

I don't think silicone is evil, I personally have a few silicone baking utensils (basting brush, spatula) but I prefer to cook in stoneware/glass and not silicone bakeware.

daisymommy
08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't think silicone is evil, I personally have a few silicone baking utensils (basting brush, spatula) but I prefer to cook in stoneware/glass and not silicone bakeware.

:yeahthat: Big difference between stirring something or lifting something out of a pan with silicone, versus cooking at high heat in an oven in silicone.

MamaMolly
08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
"Green" scientists all say that silicone is safe, doesn't contain or leech out any chemicals, But personally, I'm always afraid they'll change their mind someday in the future.

Me too! I'm so glad you said that, I thought it was just me. :)

MamaMolly
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
What about cast iron? Can anyone weigh in on how safe that is? I'm looking to invest in a dutch oven/deep covered casserole thingy. My MIL pointed out that Le Cruset can chip though I love the way those look.

daisymommy
08-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Very safe! just killer on the hands and wrists IMO. I do have a few pieces, but they aren't my favorite (cuz I'm a wuss ;)). But many people adore their cast iron.

MamaMolly
08-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Very safe! just killer on the hands and wrists IMO. I do have a few pieces, but they aren't my favorite (cuz I'm a wuss ;)). But many people adore their cast iron.

:kisscheek: thanks! I'm off to search for my big old pot. I have a fry pan that I love, love, love. It took about a year to get it cured but it is so nice to use now! I love that I can put the whole thing in the oven and not have to worry about it.

citymama
08-17-2010, 12:08 AM
I love love love my cast iron. We also use Pyrex to bake in, except for muffins and cupcakes. Will look at some of the options listed here for those uses.

Katigre
08-17-2010, 02:35 PM
We have a cast iron skillet too, a Le Cruset knock-off, and a few stainless steel pans for cooking on the stove :).

daisymommy
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
Just an FYI...
For anyone who might get the muffin pan, the only downside to it is that it takes longer to get seasoned and nonstick than the other pans. You either need to grease the cups, or use paper baking cup liners.

I got a great recipe for a stoneware friendly "grease" to use on your stones (don't spray them or cast iron either for that matter, with Pam, as it will gunk it up).

Mix 1 part flour, 1 part vegetable oil, and 1 part shortening. Store in an airtight container in a cool dark place; will keep for a few months.

I brush the inside of the muffin cups with the mixture on a silicone basting brush, or use a bit of paper towel to do it. Muffins will slide right out!

sads
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I've gotten rid of all our traditional nonstick pans, but couldn't get the hang of cast iron skillets (I have a few Le Creuset pans.) I tried some of the new PFOA-free nonstick pans - the GreenGourmet line from Cuisinart didn't work out too well for me. I love their grill pan, but the frying pans caused my eggs to stick like crazy! I then got some pans from GreenPan (a large pan from Crate & Barrel, and then a crepe pan from Target) and I love them! Other than that, I use stainless steel pans and baking sheets, and pyrex for casseroles and storage.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I love Lodge cast iron! Heavy,and you have to hand wash. My parents swore by Le Cruset and Lodge!

hellokitty
08-18-2010, 01:16 PM
I like corelle for our plates. Not only are they child friendly (I know some will tell me that they have had it shatter, my kids are very clumsy and we've never had a shatter), very light and very thin, so don't take much room to store.

Silicone does NOT bake well, just avoid it. I do have some silicone tipped spatulas and tongs that I use for cooking and some silicone cupcake forms for bento boxes, but that's about it.

The, 'green' non-stick pans suck. I was dumb enough to buy one, just to use mainly for eggs and pancakes, but within a few uses it now looks like crap and does a horrible job of even resembling non-stick. Avoid these at all costs!

My fav baking pans are the ones you can get at sam's club or restaurant supply stores. Usually it's about $11 for two baking sheets. They work sooo well, better than the expensive calphalon baking sheets that I loathed. They also clean up beautifully and are very light to carry, which I appreciate.

Sweetum
08-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I've gotten rid of all our traditional nonstick pans, but couldn't get the hang of cast iron skillets (I have a few Le Creuset pans.) I tried some of the new PFOA-free nonstick pans - the GreenGourmet line from Cuisinart didn't work out too well for me. I love their grill pan, but the frying pans caused my eggs to stick like crazy! I then got some pans from GreenPan (a large pan from Crate & Barrel, and then a crepe pan from Target) and I love them! Other than that, I use stainless steel pans and baking sheets, and pyrex for casseroles and storage.

Stainless stell for baking! nice! please let me know what brand, and where I can find them.