PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have sold items

lmwbasye
08-16-2010, 09:04 PM
I have been selling our outgrown clothes and some cloth diapers and have been very meticulous about checking everything. Even the slightest stain/flaw and I've not sold it. Everyone so far has been happy and given positive feedback.

Anyway, I recently got two e-mails from two different people. The first said that the item had stains. I was genuinely surprised so asked her to send an e-mail just so I can see where I missed. Still waiting.

The other said the PUL on the diaper is bad and leaked straight through. I NEVER had a problem with the diapers so I'm...again...really surprised.

Anyway, I'm not saying these people are wrong but I also don't know what the proper response from me should be. Do I just refund all their money (but then I'm out these items...both of which I personally would have used/saved for next child...we are only selling in hopes of TTC goes better...LOL) or what do I do? I'm honestly afraid to sell again because I'm doing everything I can to avoid this and it's still happening. While I'm shocked that this has happened as I've really tried to be thorough to avoid this, I'm human and maybe I missed these things?

TIA!

dukie41181
08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Hmmm. As far as the items go, I would offer to refund the money in exchange for their returning the items to you. That would seem more of a win-win for everyone...that way you aren't out the money and the item! Then you can take a look at it again and decide whether to just hold onto the item or whether you'd feel comfortable reselling.

So sorry you're having to deal with this stuff! I've been quite lucky to have not run into problems with selling stuff but this is how I'd handle it. Best of luck to you!

resipsaloquitur
08-16-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh boy do I understand! That seems to have been my issue lately. I am INSANELY picky about the condition of my clothes- so much so my mom and friends tease me. But when I sell something I know it is almost perfect.

In the last batch I did (a few months ago) I had TWO people complain. The first one I thought "okay, maybe I did miss something, I"m only human" and it was a two shirt lot so I refunded half. The second I knew was perfect. The buyer was so mean and threatening. Told me that the gymbo jammies were not even in good condition. Before I had even responded he left feed back that items were in bad condition and that I had refunded money. What? I hadn't even responded. Clearly he had me mixed up with someone else. And clearly, this was a pattern for him- I think he did it with all is buys because what are the odds that two different sellers were problems at the same time. When I emailed him and said "you left feedback that there was a problem and I know there wasn't and you said I refunded and I didn't and further, I don't refund because I think people use it to scam sellers." He replied "feedback stays." I knew something was up. I checked his id a week later. There are my jammies- listed in PERFECT condition. Guess that's his business model- buy things, threaten sellers, get inventory for free then resell. I soooo wanted to say something but I know there are psychos out there so I let it go. It's not worth the $5 I got I tell you that.

I'm done with ebay for a while. Wish there was any other option. My local consignment gives me $1 for my LN Ralph Lauren polos that I buy 20-30 at a time for DS. Still it seems better than the $10 I was getting on ebay not to deal with the liars.

KrisM
08-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I'd have them return it, on their dime. If, when you get it, you decide it was your mistake, refund everything, including return shipping. Otherwise, just refund price paid. If they file with Paypal, you'll also have to refund initial shipping.

Sorry you have some stinkers.

lmwbasye
08-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks for responding. I refunded the diaper. I have no idea why it's not working for her or if she's scaming me, but I generally believe people are good and just refunded her the money.

The second person, I'm just going to wait on the photos she said she'd send.

Thanks again!