PDA

View Full Version : lice and nuvo method...

almostmom
08-16-2010, 10:28 PM
So, after a few days of scratching, and lots of looking, we found a nit in DS's hair. Yuck!!!! I have been looking for days, and had decided it was just itchy from chlorine. Not so - clearly a nit under the microscope.

I just talked to the doc, and he suggested the nuvo method, which seems like a great option. I also have to suck it up and cut his hair pretty short to make things easier.

Has anyone used this method successfully? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Man, am I itchy.

Thanks.

annex
08-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I did Nuvo, but there was no way DD would have put up with it. It's a pain in the neck getting the Cetaphil in then blow drying it. Whatever you choose, I think the key is to comb every day for 2 weeks with a good metal lice comb. No method is going to kill every single egg or louse, so you have to be vigorous about combing out every last one out until any egg remaining is too old to have hatched, and every "live" louse has been extracted before it can lay new eggs.

kerridean
08-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Eh. I would stay away from it. It has NOT been evaluated or approved by the FDA. The only thing that worked for us was a script (Ovide). We tried everything.

MissyAg94
08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I haven't used it but it sounds good if it works! I've never heard of Cetaphil being toxic but I know some of the OTC treatments are.

almostmom
08-17-2010, 11:35 AM
DH is just finishing blow drying their hair right now. Our ped recommended it, and DD's school did too, though they suggested the toxic stuff first. All I'm reading says the toxic stuff doesn't get rid of all of it because of resistant strains. So we'll also be combing with the literal fine tooth lice comb for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

daisymommy
08-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I haven't used it ....I've never heard of Cetaphil being toxic but I know some of the OTC treatments are.

:yeahthat: Cetaphil is gentle enough to be used on a child's skin, while PESTICIDES to kill lice--not so much. Lindane, a common ingredient in may lice treatments is a known cancer causing agent, and has heavily restricted as an agricultural pesticide due to how dangerous it can be. But guess what, apparently they think it's safe to shampoo your child's head with.

No way would I put that stuff on my child. There are many natural methods out there that work, without the risk of putting a neurotoxin on your child. Knowing that there are over 80,000 chemicals in use in over the counter products, and only 7% of them have been tested, I'm not to keen to assume that because it's out there for sale, it's safe. So not being "approved" by the FDA doesn't mean much.

Here's one I've heard good things about
http://www.quitnits.us/
http://www.quitnits.us/?p=313

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/health-well-being/questions/are-lice-treatments-safe

AJP
08-17-2010, 03:44 PM
An other great one is Fairy Tales Hair Care.
http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/?gclid=COOegLuiwaMCFZJ95QodxQ9fbw
You may be able to find it locally in salon supply stores or salons.

ezcc
08-17-2010, 04:47 PM
We had lice this summer, we did a listerine rinse (once to kill everything) followed by combing NIGHTLY and blow drying every night. It worked. I was also reluctant to use any otc or prescription pesticide, especially since I have heard they aren't even that effective. It did take a while and combing is a hassle but I think they are finally gone.

Cam&Clay
08-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Do you live near a large immigrant population? I ask because I fought lice with DS1 for over a year only to find out that the reason it was so hard to get rid of them was because the lice in our area, according to the Health Dept, were a strain from El Salvador and were resistant to most treatments. About half of DS1's class was from El Salvador.

I did the Cetaphil and just about anything else I could do. I finally had to break down and go to the doctor and get a prescription. I truly felt I was putting pure poison on his head, but it worked after two treatments and he's been okay since.

MissyAg94
08-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Just wanted to add that I've heard you can put several drops of tea tree oil in your child's shampoo to help prevent getting lice. I'm sure it's not 100% but it might be worth a try.

almostmom
08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the advice. We have now all done the cetaphil. DH found two live ones in my hair - no nits. Yuck! I have lots of long curly dark hair. Ugh.

We have the Rid combs - are they the same as the licemeister? Or should I also buy the licemeister?

I may do the tea tree oil in the shampoo and conditioner too - why not, right?

Any more advice is welcome.

kerridean
08-17-2010, 09:23 PM
The Rid comb is not good enough. You need a stainless steel/metal comb. They sell a store brand version at Walgreens. It is by the lice treatment stuff.

almostmom
08-17-2010, 09:26 PM
OK - I'll go buy it tomorrow.

The Rid one is metal though - the package had two sizes, one for lice and one for nits. And when DH did it on DS's hair, he definitely got nits in it. But I think I'll feel better with licemeister, as everyone seems to think it's the best. And this is no time for scrimping.

Can I just say EW again?

Thank you.