PDA

View Full Version : airport security questions

robinsmommy
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok, I looked at the TSA website, and maybe my morning tea hasn't hit, it is rather confusing to me.

Can you take a shaving razor carry-on or not? Not an old-fashioned straight one, just the ones we mamas use?

And, are we going to have any issues bringing back a load (like suitcase full) of filled chocolates (Godiva style bon-bons)? No way we can check that this time of year - we'd have a bag of goop by the time we got home. We always bring stuff back for F&F....and being a Belgian, DH needs a supply himself (one of the few issues of marital strife - I've learned not mess with his chocolate supply.)

I'm thinking that both these things are ok for carry-on, but I'd hate to be wrong (DH is threatening to bolt all the chocolates if there is an issue, I can't imagine taking him and two kids loaded with chocolates on a long flight home....).

bekahjean
08-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I've never had a problem with a razor. I usually will buy the disposable venus razors for a trip, just in case they decide to take it away. Although, now that I think about it, they would just have to take the cartridge, not the handle.

I don't know about the chocolate, though. Could you call the TSA or the airline to check on the chocolate? Losing all that delicious Belgian chocolate would be criminal!

robinsmommy
08-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, that's rather the wrinkle - we'll be heading out through Amsterdam, so we'll be exiting with European security. We've never had issues/problems in the past, but I would imagine that they've gotten a bit stricter since that last incident for an American flight out of Amsterdam.

Come to think of it, I'll just ask someone when we arrive (if my tired brain thinks to). That way I get an answer from the people in the know......

ETA: Actually, the security in Europe has been great for us - when they see people traveling with small children, they have always pulled us aside to the very front of the line, and have done their job well, but with friendly service. Children in general are more valued in Europe, as they have low birth rates.

hlphillips2
08-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Unless it's liquid chocolate or it has a plant or meat base (like filled with bacon or you're bringing back chocolate covered strawberries) you should be fine.