PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose?

MommyofAmaya
08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
I am getting my oldest friend a gas grill for a wedding gift. I am stuck between two options and need to decide. TODAY. Budget is about $300 and both of these totally different options meet that requirement. I really wanted to get a Weber Spirit but I haven't found a deal on one (I bought mine for $265 and was hoping to get a similar bargain). My friend is a guy and is very outdoorsy. I am considering the Q b/c it is theoretically portable, but does anybody actually disassemble their Q and take it camping?

Option 1: Weber Q300/320
Great Brand. Great Warranty. Great Quality. Portable? Totally bare bones.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-426001-300-Propane-Barbecue/dp/B000CDHOJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1282070743&sr=8-1

Option 2: Costco Altima 4 burner. Really decent reviews for a non-Weber grill. Lots of features including infared sear burner, side burner, grill cover. Also has Costco's return policy if something goes wrong. It was originally $399 on clearance for $297.
http://bbq.about.com/od/gasgrillreviews/gr/aapr042808a.htm?r=94

Which would you choose? I'm open to other suggestions too.

AnnieW625
08-17-2010, 03:04 PM
LOVE my Weber Q! I gave it to DH as a Christmas gift in 2003 when we lived in a fourplex and only had a little room to grill. At first he thought what are we going to use it for?! Almost 7 yrs. later the Q is our main grill; although sometimes a nice regular sized grill would be nice we still use the Q with no problems at all for all of our grilling. It's not that heavy so you could easily go camping with it; we haven't. I also recommend getting the propane hose adapter for it because then he can just by a big container of propane and hook onto that and not have to get the little propane canisters at that ends up being a more $$$ option. The cover, and the cart are nice too.

TwinFoxes
08-17-2010, 03:21 PM
We have the Q as well, and we love it! But I do have to say, that other one is quite impressive.

My friend is a guy and is very outdoorsy. I am considering the Q b/c it is theoretically portable, but does anybody actually disassemble their Q and take it camping?

There's not much to disassemble. It's very easy to take it along. We stick it in the truck and take it tailgating at games! Or, I should say, back when we used to go tailgating, or go to games for that matter. For some reason we haven't done it much in the past two years. ;)

KpbS
08-17-2010, 03:49 PM
We just bought the Weber Q model you linked a few months ago. DH complained that it doesn't feel very sturdy (a lot of plastic) but it has performed well. We bought it after a friend purchased the same following a lot of research in that price range.

MommyofAmaya
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Hmmmm. Leaning towards the Q320, but still not sure. He'll have to buy at the least a grill cover and the adapter hose ($359 is totally over the top of my budget already). Although it sounds like he will be able to take it camping... no kids planned right away! Thanks for your comments.

AnnieW625
08-17-2010, 05:26 PM
space wise what does he have room for? Does he own his own place or will he have to move? If he has apartment or condo and might have to move in the future the Q is much easier to transport.

MommyofAmaya
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
space wise what does he have room for? Does he own his own place or will he have to move? If he has apartment or condo and might have to move in the future the Q is much easier to transport.

The will be living in his house and space is not an issue. I was just coming to ask whether you and TwinFoxes have the 300 model? I just found this review stating that at 83lbs(!!) the 300 really isn't that portable.

http://bbq.about.com/od/portablegrillreviews/gr/aapr030506b.htm

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
08-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Totally different, but are you near a Target? Mine had grills (Brinkman, I think) for 50% off.

MommyofAmaya
08-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Totally different, but are you near a Target? Mine had grills (Brinkman, I think) for 50% off.

LOL. I just got a great deal on a Brinkmann, but decided to sell it on Craigslist (for more than I paid) b/c it wasn't very nice quality. It was a great deal for somebody... but not exactly what I'm looking for right now. I even got quite a few thumbs up on SD!

TwinFoxes
08-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I think we have the 220, which doesn't come with a cart. I don't think the 320 wasn't an option when we bought. We bought a cart that we use at home, but leave behind for tailgating. I think the cart on the 320 is what adds the extra weight and cost.

HTH!

Bryan mom
08-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Not sure if charcoal grill is an option... (nothing like the flavor of charcoalled food)
DH loves his Weber Performer

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_details.aspx?glid=4&mid=25

and there are many different color options...
(though I just got ordinary black)

MommyofAmaya
08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Not sure if charcoal grill is an option... (nothing like the flavor of charcoalled food)
DH loves his Weber Performer

http://www.weber.com/explore/Grill_details.aspx?glid=4&mid=25

and there are many different color options...
(though I just got ordinary black)

The Performer seems to be have the best characteristics of both gas/charcoal. It was my top choice until my friend said he definitely wanted gas (for his bride I'm guessing).

I went and bought the Costco grill last night (there were only two left so that was what the rush was about). I have a week or two to decide whether to keep it or get the Weber.