PDA

View Full Version : Salmonella Enteritidis Outbreak in Shell Eggs

green
08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
The recalled shell eggs are packaged under the following brand names: Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma’s, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms and Kemps.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/NewsEvents/WhatsNewinFood/ucm222684.htm

YouAreTheFocus
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Hmm, we recently got eggs from TJ's & Target. I'll have to check if either have one of these names on them. Thanks for the heads up!

KimMae
08-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Wow thanks I hadn't heard this anywhere else. Thankfully we buy most of our eggs at a local farm. THough of course that doesn't preclude restaurant issues. Though what at restaurants includes raw eggs?

Edited to add - keep an eye on the raw cookie dough people :(

larig
08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
thanks for the alert, that's a pretty big area!

corrie23
08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Hmmmm, okay so any idea what one should do if they happen to live in one of the states mentioned and they have eggs from one of the brands mentioned? Do I just discard them (as well as the chocolate cake that I just baked with them which will cause my children to scream their heads off tomorrow?)?

gatorsmom
08-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Thank you for this info!! I live in Minnesota and just checked my eggs because we've bought Farmland eggs before. But i just checked and have a store brand in my fridge that says they are from Skokie, Illinois so I think we are safe. Just need to pass this info on to my dad who lives in Wisconsin.

Thanks for passing this on!!

Sweetum
08-19-2010, 06:22 PM
California here, costco organic eggs. I think they are called cal-eggs. Can anyone tell me if they are safe?

bubbaray
08-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Am I the only person who has never heard them referred to as "shell eggs"?? Weird. Aren't eggs just eggs?

Kestrel
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
- "shell eggs" is a term used to seperate them from things like eggbeaters and other raw egg products like that. Restaraunts, in particular large or chain ones, use liquid eggs for many things like scrambled eggs and omletts, and well as receipes. They come in a big 5 gallon jug, or sometimes in 1/2 gallon cartons. They are simply the entire egg, generally with citric acid added (to help with color), then pasturized. Salmonella isn't a problem with a pasturized product.
You might also hear the term "pooled eggs", this is where a bunch of shell eggs are broken and mixed together, like making up a gallon-sized batch of french toast batter, for example. If only one egg out of the thirty was contaminated, now the whole batch is.

- as far as what restaurant items use raw eggs... raw egg is a basic ingredient in ceasar salad dressing. Some people also use it in homemade mayo. Scratch hollandaise contains undercooked egg yolks. More common, though, is "sunny-side up" or "over easy" eggs. These are almost never cooked hot enough to kill salmonella.
This varries by state, but our state makes restaurants put a disclaimer on the menu, saying raw or undercooked eggs or beef can cause illness. It can be on the back page in little bity type, but it has to be there.

- as far as the poor chocolate cake... it''s _probably_ all right. Cooking does kill the germs. But I still wouldn't eat it, or give it to my child. I'd make another. For the recall, bring the eggs back to the store, and return them, even if it's a partial package.

{chef Mama here!}

bubbaray
08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Learn something new everyday!

Penny's Pappa
08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Some additional information from WebMD (emphasis mine):

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20100819/egg-recall-expands-cdc-expects-more-illnesses

The FDA investigation is centered on five plants operated by the Iowa firm Wright County Egg. The firm distributes the eggs nationwide. Eggs included in the recall include a number of prominent brands. Those brands are listed below, but some of the eggs may have been repackaged and sold under different brand names.

The Wright County Egg recall includes eggs in six-, 12-, and 18-egg cartons. The cartons carry a "Julian date" referring to the day of the year and a plant number. Dates and codes can be found stamped on the end of the egg carton or printed on the case label. The plant number begins with the letter P and then the number. The Julian date follows the plant number, for example: P-1720 223.

The Aug. 18 recall includes eggs with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 229 and plant numbers 1720 and 1942. They were sold under the brand names:

Albertson
Boomsma's
Farm Fresh
Glenview
James Farms
Kemps
Lund
Mountain Dairy
Pacific Coast
Ralph's

The Aug. 13 recall includes eggs with Julian dates ranging from 136 to 225 and plant numbers 1026, 1413, and 1946. They were sold under the brand names:

Albertson
Boomsma's
Dutch Farms
Farm Fresh
Hillandale
Kemps
Lucerne
Lund
Mountain Dairy
Ralph's
Shoreland
Sunshine