08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
No. And I wouldn't eat it when not pregnant either :P

bubbaray
08-17-2010, 11:05 PM

:yeahthat:

edurnemk
08-17-2010, 11:06 PM
No, but as opposed to PP's I do eat it when not pregnant, I love it.

DrSally
08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
When we were TTC (and not telling people), we went out to a fancy restaurant with friends. They ordered ceviche appetizer and I ate it but worried about it afterward. I avoided all entrees with alcohol out of caution, and that left me with one entree that was pretty bland. Blah.

ETA: I guess I would be worried about parasites in the fish since it isn't cooked. Oh, and I was actually pregnant at the time, but too early for the test to show it.

maestramommy
08-18-2010, 07:26 AM
I did not eat ceviche while pregnant. I did eat sashimi just once when preggo with Arwyn, and had a sip of sangria. Actually I had a couple of beers at the very beginning of my pregnancy with Arwyn, because I was not TTC and had no idea I was pregnant:p

luckytwenty
08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Isn't ceviche cooked shellfish? I've had it a number of times and it's just mussells, clams and shrimp in a chilled stew.

pastrygirl
08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
It is raw, though the citrus helps "cook" it. I have no idea about eating it while pregnant. Never thought of it before...

lchang25000
08-18-2010, 08:26 AM

:yeahthat: yuck!

stinkyfeet
08-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Yep, i would eat it if i weren't pregnant (only at a reputable restaurant though), but i would not knowing that i was pregnant. Don't worry if you ate it and didn't know at the time. It will be ok! :hug:

edurnemk
08-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Isn't ceviche cooked shellfish? I've had it a number of times and it's just mussells, clams and shrimp in a chilled stew.

Nope, ceviche is made of raw fish typically, although sometimes it's substituted for shrimp or other seafood. But it is always served raw, with lime juice which cooks it a little bit, but not entirely.

luckytwenty
08-18-2010, 09:48 AM
There must be other varieties because the fish in the ceviche I've had was absolutely cooked.

If not....well, oops.

DrSally
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
There must be other varieties because the fish in the ceviche I've had was absolutely cooked.

If not....well, oops.

It may have seemed cooked b/c the lime juice does some of that, but the definition of ceviche is that it's uncooked.

KpbS
08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Nope, ceviche is made of raw fish typically, although sometimes it's substituted for shrimp or other seafood. But it is always served raw, with lime juice which cooks it a little bit, but not entirely.

Yeah, one of my favorite dishes at this yummy Mexican place is this shrimp ceviche appetizer. Fish ceviche I am a little more iffy about and would definitely avoid while pregnant. But the shrimp sounds so good now. The shrimp are "cooked" in the lime juice.

TwinFoxes
08-18-2010, 10:31 AM
I love ceviche, but I wouldn't eat it while pregnant.

Now I want ceviche.

It may have seemed cooked b/c the lime juice does some of that, but the definition of ceviche is that it's uncooked.

peanut520
08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
yes to ceviche and also sushi and sashimi, but cleared it with my ob first. my ob was fine with it since as long as the ingredients were on the safe seafood list for mercury and other chemicals and it was at a reputable restaurant. She said it was the same risks as eating it while not pregnant. I didn’t over indulge, but had it a few pieces when we were out especially at restaurants I might not have a change to visit again soon.

YouAreTheFocus
08-18-2010, 01:34 PM
She said it was the same risks as eating it while not pregnant.

This is what I was told by my OB as well. If you trust the place when not pregnant, no reason not to trust it when pregnant.

sewarsh
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
yes to ceviche and also sushi and sashimi, but cleared it with my ob first. my ob was fine with it since as long as the ingredients were on the safe seafood list for mercury and other chemicals and it was at a reputable restaurant. She said it was the same risks as eating it while not pregnant. I didn’t over indulge, but had it a few pieces when we were out especially at restaurants I might not have a change to visit again soon.

I LOVE ceviche, tuna tartara, sushi, etc.
I would and have eaten it while prego.
Clearly this would be a reputable restaurant becuase of course the issue is that you are getting bad fish. But, that's a risk with cooked fish as well.

Also, the mercury issue, but not a big deal if its only once a week.

DrSally
08-18-2010, 03:16 PM

Interesting, and good to hear.

edurnemk
08-18-2010, 03:27 PM

My OB said the same thing about the risk being the same, but he said no raw food, since in the event of you catching an infection from it, it won't be as easy to treat as when you're not PG, because not all medications can be administered. (Although even cooked food has some risk, I got awful food poisoning from cooked fish about 6 weeks ago, at my IL's house, not a restaurant.)

Anyway, I told DH I would eat sushi and drink wine every day this month since we'll be TTC starting roughly next week. :D

swissair81
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't do raw or shellfish. So that would probably be a no.

indigo99
08-18-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm shocked that people's doctors are approving this. The risk to YOU may be the same as when you aren't pregnant, but that isn't the issue. You can get toxoplasmosis parasites from raw or undercooked fish the same as with other undercooked meats. It would normally not really hurt a healthy adult, and you likely won't even know if you contract the parasite while pregnant. However, it can cause stillbirth and birth defects. Why take that chance?

sewarsh
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm shocked that people's doctors are approving this. The risk to YOU may be the same as when you aren't pregnant, but that isn't the issue. You can get toxoplasmosis parasites from raw or undercooked fish the same as with other undercooked meats. It would normally not really hurt a healthy adult, and you likely won't even know if you contract the parasite while pregnant. However, it can cause stillbirth and birth defects. Why take that chance?

I'm just wondering if you also avoid lunchmeat, cheeses, fish and everything else on the list of what to avoid when pregnant?

rkold
08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm just wondering if you also avoid lunchmeat, cheeses, fish and everything else on the list of what to avoid when pregnant?

Personally, and this is my first pregnancy and I super neurotic...

I never eat lunch meat or fish (or fish sushi or ceviche or seafood in general) as I am a octo-lavo vegetarian and have been for close to 20 years. Before that, I tended to keep to a kosher diet.

I have been doing my best to avoid unpasteurized cheese (which is the sort of cheese not allowed). Most conventional cheeses made in the US are pasteurized, but small batch hand made cheese and European cheeses can be a problem and it's really really hard.

My last ob/gyn told me to also skip green tea which I avoided nearly the entire first trimester along with coffee and other teas and I've had a little green tea before she said to skip it, but for me it's still hard. I'm hoping that the midwife will rescind that restriction.

bubbaray
08-19-2010, 10:18 AM

I did.

FWIW, its not all cheese, just unpasteurized cheese.

swissair81
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
You don't have to avoid fish. There are some fish that are not good to eat during pregnancy & others that you should only eat a few 4-8 ounces per week. 8 oz of fish is a nice portion & I eat other things, so it's not really so hard to keep to that restriction.

I never eat soft cheese & I am not really fond of lunchmeat or smoked fish(besides which you can warm it up & then it isn't a problem) or pate. Shellfish isn't kosher, so I never eat it anyway. I don't drink, so the alcohol isn't a problem. I don't eat raw or unpasteurized anything. I do have some caffeine, but I stay below the limit & don't drink it during my first trimester.

sewarsh
08-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I did.

FWIW, its not all cheese, just unpasteurized cheese.

Right. I know that....I meant those (unpasterized) cheeses and all ohter foods that were in the "do not eat" category. And I understand the fish stuff too which i abide by as well.

My OB told me moderation was key. He actually flat out told me that Japan is a big country with lots of babies adn they eat raw fish there daily. Same thing with lunchmeat....in his 20+ years practicing, he's never even heard of a case at his hospital of someone getting sick from lunchmeat.

Absolutely, if you are 100% by the book, than by all means, avoiding these foods is the way to go. Personally, I still have a cup of coffee in the morning and eat foods I would normally eat, but again, in moderation (well, maybe not ice cream in moderation, but you know what i mean!). Oh, and of course, no alcohol or any type of medicine unless absolutely dire need.

I'm totally impressed with those of you that cut out all the things books/literature suggests.

HannaAddict
08-19-2010, 10:52 PM

If not....well, oops.

sounds good, but it was not ceviche. Ceviche is "cooking" the fish with lime/citrus and not necessarily a stew. I would not eat it knowing I was pregnant. I would be happy to drink a
margarita. Alcohol in small/'moderate doses is not linked to problems unlike various food poisonings. But I generally don't feel like a Margarita or even coffee when pregnant, so moot point.

HannaAddict
08-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Right. I know that....I meant those (unpasterized) cheeses and all ohter foods that were in the "do not eat" category. And I understand the fish stuff too which i abide by as well.

My OB told me moderation was key. He actually flat out told me that Japan is a big country with lots of babies adn they eat raw fish there daily. Same thing with lunchmeat....in his 20+ years practicing, he's never even heard of a case at his hospital of someone getting sick from lunchmeat.

Absolutely, if you are 100% by the book, than by all means, avoiding these foods is the way to go. Personally, I still have a cup of coffee in the morning and eat foods I would normally eat, but again, in moderation (well, maybe not ice cream in moderation, but you know what i mean!). Oh, and of course, no alcohol or any type of medicine unless absolutely dire need.

I'm totally impressed with those of you that cut out all the things books/literature suggests.

With lunch meat the issue is listeria, and so moderation doesn't play into it (as it does with coffee, alcohol, etc.). Listeria is particularly deadly to babies in utero. Unlike other food poisoning, where you feel badly, but the placenta provides proection, listeria is terrible and crosses over silently (sometimes mom doesn't even feel awful or it is much later) and results in still birth. Lucky for your OB to have not lost a pregnancy, but he is giving scary advice with regards to lunch meat. Our friend from
preschool, a doctor herself, lost her baby at 5+months to listeria. She gave in to peer pressure and played the odds with deli meat/salads at a baby shower. Terribly sad and she was crushed. Raw fish has different issues, usually parasites and not listeria, so there is a better chance the baby is protected by the placenta/mom. When I was pg. with my first and had only been to the first appt. and no one knew, I was at a CLE and only thing served was deli sandwiches. Tried just eating chips and my colleagues were bugging me and I gave in and ate part of a sandwich. I was okay but when I found out about our friend (after just seeing her happily pg.), I took the listeria warnings seriously throughout my other two pregnancies despite MIL and my dad's wife badgering me about not eating deli crap that is not that healthy to begin with!)

DrSally
08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=HannaAddict;2826351Our friend from
preschool, a doctor herself, lost her baby at 5+months to listeria. She gave in to peer pressure and played the odds with deli meat/salads at a baby shower. Terribly sad and she was crushed. Raw fish has different issues, usually parasites and not listeria so
baby is protected by the mom.[/QUOTE]

That is so terrible!

sewarsh
08-20-2010, 09:01 AM
With lunch meat the issue is listeria, and so moderation doesn't play into it (as it does with coffee, alcohol, etc.). Listeria is particularly deadly to babies in utero. Unlike other food poisoning, where you feel badly, but the placenta provides proection, listeria is terrible and crosses over silently (sometimes mom doesn't even feel awful or it is much later) and results in still birth. Lucky for your OB to have not lost a pregnancy, but he is giving scary advice with regards to lunch meat. Our friend from
preschool, a doctor herself, lost her baby at 5+months to listeria. She gave in to peer pressure and played the odds with deli meat/salads at a baby shower. Terribly sad and she was crushed. Raw fish has different issues, usually parasites and not listeria, so there is a better chance the baby is protected by the placenta/mom. When I was pg. with my first and had only been to the first appt. and no one knew, I was at a CLE and only thing served was deli sandwiches. Tried just eating chips and my colleagues were bugging me and I gave in and ate part of a sandwich. I was okay but when I found out about our friend (after just seeing her happily pg.), I took the listeria warnings seriously throughout my other two pregnancies despite MIL and my dad's wife badgering me about not eating deli crap that is not that healthy to begin with!)

Wow! That's horrible! Right, now that you mention it, that's what my doctor said...Listeria was the issue and he'd never heard of a case. But, I'm not a lunchmeat person anyway, so this is something i rarely eat anyway. But, gosh how horrible for that girl and the irony of it all happening at a baby shower?!!? holy moly.

indigo99
08-22-2010, 10:18 PM

I didn't avoid lunchmeat or hotdogs, but I would only eat them if they were cooked until steaming hot. I did avoid soft cheeses and most fish. I honestly don't even remember everything that I avoided now so obviously it wasn't a big deal to give it up for the length of the pregnancy.