PDA

View Full Version : DS had flu last Wednesday, still no dairy

cestkaren
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
DS had the stomach flu last Wednesday, Thursday he seemed much better. He had a little milk on Thursday evening and on Friday. On Saturday, we gave him cheese in the morning and dairy at meals, he threw up Sat night. So no dairy Sunday and Monday. Today, tuesday, we tried diary again, some cheese and a bit of milk, and he threw up again. We are calling the doctor tomorrow. Has anyone else had this issue?

DrSally
08-17-2010, 11:29 PM
I've had the issue with no throwing up for a few days and then throwing up 2 days later. I think I called in and the nurse said that can happen (it can return after a few days before petering out). I would call, but keep avoiding dairy for now. Maybe give a probiotic to help his gut heal.

elephantmeg
08-17-2010, 11:48 PM
I would do probiotics. If not better soon then I would call. It doesn't sound like it was severe enough to cause that much trouble. With very persistant diarrhea you can actually slough off the villi that break down lactose resulting in temp lactose intolerance.

erosenst
08-18-2010, 02:17 AM
It often takes DD two weeks after the flu, or after some abx, to be able to have "visible" milk. We don't read labels, but don't give her cheese, milk, etc. Fortunately (for all of us) if she has it too soon it results in mild diarrhea, rather than throwing up.

I don't worry about it much, as she's very healthy otherwise. We do try to give more yogurt, broccoli, etc to make up for the potential calcium deficit.

I've asked the ped about it - he's not concerned either.