PDA

View Full Version : Red marker...out of baptism gown?

kijip
08-18-2010, 03:49 AM
For reasons I can't fathom somehow a red marker without a cap ended up next to T's baptism outfit which I planned to keep for grandkids etc. HUGE red blotch covering most of a sleeve and shoulder. Ugh. The fabric is linen/cotton blend. Ideas on how to salvage or is this hopeless?

niccig
08-18-2010, 04:24 AM
Hair spray and WD40 has gotten marker pen and sharpie out of my couch...worth a try.

TwinFoxes
08-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Sometimes it's worth taking things to a professional. I bet there is a cleaners in your town that's known as the best. Try taking it to them. Not the $.99 cleaners, but an old pro. For something like a baptismal gown I think it's worth it. Good luck! That sucks. :(

TonFirst
08-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Sometimes it's worth taking things to a professional. I bet there is a cleaners in your town that's known as the best. Try taking it to them. Not the $.99 cleaners, but an old pro. For something like a baptismal gown I think it's worth it. Good luck! That sucks. :(

Linen/Cotton is absolutely salvageable. If you don't mind sending it off, try June's of Atlanta - June is INSANELY good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/junes-of-atlanta-atlanta

If you want to tackle it on your own, soak it in Oxy-Clean and VERY hot water - I did this with my old Christening gown, as well as with yards and yards of my grandmother's Belgian lace that turned absolutely black after sitting in Katrina water for a couple of weeks. And if that doesn't work, try Iron-Out. Iron Out got a spot out of a white cotton sweater of my daughters that nothing else would touch, not even bleach.

katydid1971
08-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I would NOT soak it in oxyclean. I have had oxyclean eat threw cotton before, I use it on DC's day to day clothes but NEVER on something as special as that. Like PP said I would find a very good cleaners and see what they could do. Good luck.

twowhat?
08-18-2010, 03:34 PM
For 100% cotton (not sure about linen), I had really good luck with rubbing liquid laundry detergent (FWIW, I used BabyGanics) full strength into the stain, making sure the detergent totally soaks the fabric, letting it sit overnight, then laundering as usual. Yes, this worked on red marker. Taking it to a professional sounds like a good idea to me, though. Esp for something other than your normal playclothes.

TonFirst
08-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I would NOT soak it in oxyclean. I have had oxyclean eat threw cotton before, I use it on DC's day to day clothes but NEVER on something as special as that. Like PP said I would find a very good cleaners and see what they could do. Good luck.

YMMV, I guess - we've used it on very, very fine, 30-year-old, handsewn, gauzy cotton and on the hand-sewn Belgian lace with no problems.