PDA

View Full Version : WWYD about work meeting

niccig
08-18-2010, 04:22 AM
I work from home on a part-time project basis for my old employer at UCLA. One of the projects is for the friend of my boss - the friend is not on staff, but we host his database project. The friend emails me, after 4 weeks of no contact, and says "I'll be on campus this Thursday, can we meet." I have no child care, and no car as it's being serviced before a roadtrip next weekend. It's the only day I can have the car in as we need 2 cars other days.

I can guilt a friend into babysitter she owes me big time for picking her up very late at LAX, but I know she has a big work deadline due on Friday. and she'll want to say No, but will say Yes as I'll tell her she still owes me. I could also try to find a babysitter.

I could drop DH at work and then go back and get him anywhere between 7pm and who knows when.

Or, I email back and say I can't meet this Thursday, but I can meet on x day.

There is nothing to discuss as the IT department hasn't done their part of the project and as it's first week back of classes, I KNOW they're busy doing other things this week. And we can't do anything until they are ready. I feel like I would be jumping through hoops to get to a meeting for 30 mins to say "well, I can't do anything until IT does x."

So, WWYD?

klwa
08-18-2010, 06:46 AM
I think I'd tell them that you aren't available Thursday, but bring them up to spped with what's goin gon in email. (Even if it's just, "IT is continuing to work on your project & we hope to have it completed by X date. Would you be available to meet on Y date once I have more information for you?")

ThreeofUs
08-18-2010, 07:57 AM
It's perfectly acceptable to say "Meeting on X day would be difficult for me, how about Y?" or even "I don't think we have a compelling agenda if we meet on X b/c IT needs to do ABC before we can talk about next steps. How about if we revisit the idea of meeting after we talk to IT a week or so after classes start?"

And you might even say, "You know, meeting is a great idea. Why don't we set up monthly meetings to talk things over?" ;)

GL!

firstbaby
08-18-2010, 08:11 AM
I would tell him that you aren't able to meet on Thursday but could do a conference call, or like a PP suggested tell him that you would like to meet once X does Y. Good luck!

hillview
08-18-2010, 08:40 AM
agree with pp -- push back
- suggest another day
- suggest a call
- suggest she meet you where you are

/hillary

egoldber
08-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Well.....it sounds to me like they are not usually in town? In which case, they may just want some face time, not necessarily a status update.

So I would probably try to find child care for a couple hours. Say you are busy, but you can meet for lunch, coffee, etc.

niccig
08-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone. He lives about 90 mins from me - I'll suggest another time, and that I can go to him. We really can't do anything until IT gets a move on.