PDA

View Full Version : calling all moms of 3 boys...

lil_acorn
08-18-2010, 09:59 AM
What is your life like? I've got two and another on the way - yikes!!

mamicka
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
We've got 4 boys. It's crazy but fun. I wouldn't change a thing. Fasten your seatbelt ;).

ETA: Oh, & congrats!

o_mom
08-18-2010, 02:25 PM
It's crazy but fun. I wouldn't change a thing. Fasten your seatbelt ;).

:yeahthat:

Just start thickening your skin now for the inevitable onslaught of comments about how busy you must be, how crazy it is, how sorry they feel for you and are you trying for a girl?

:)

belovedgandp
08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah, be ready for all the comments. But it works both ways. I had two boys and now have a girl and get the general "oh you must be busy" about every time I leave the house. If that one is at least said in a nice voice I let it slide on by, but the one that irks me that comes out almost as frequently is "you finally got a girl." I would have loved to have another boy, love my girl, but the boys are fun too.

KpbS
08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Like the PP, I've got 2 boys but a girl on the way. My boys are loud, like sports/games, like getting dirty/making messes, wrestling, being wild, etc. They are very much "typical" boys in that way but what bothers me is that sometimes that is all people want to see/acknowledge about my boys (or boys in general, really) when my boys are also sensitive, kind, and are very loving to each other. Don't let them sell your boys short for who they are!

g-mama
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Truthfully? It is wild. But in a way that makes me wish I'd grown up with two sisters because my boys have so much fun together. Yes, they fight and argue, without a doubt, but they play together A LOT. My oldest ds' friend across the street is here constantly because he says it is fun here. He only has one sister, and he is over here all the time and his sister is at her friends' houses all the time (or vice versa). My boys almost never ask me to invite a friend when we go places because they see each other as friends. It's wonderful.

alexsmommy
08-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I love being a boy mama... but yes, when DS3 was born some people acted like I should be disappointed or sad. I was so grateful that I even managed to have a third DC that there were times I very annoyed with this attitude.
My boys are fun - lots of energy, but they also like quieter activities like finger painting, play-doh, cooking with grandma, reading time and the like. DS2 is a huge Hannah Montana fan (the concert, kid loves music). They've all be been snugglers from day one and are still very physically affectionate.
I love watching DS2 emulate DS1, he looks up to his big brother so much. I love watching DS1 & 2 get down on the floor and gently play with DS3, using a baby friendly voice and bringing him toys, shushing each other when DS3 is drifting off.
Day to day, I truly do not thing the gender combination really matters, it's the personality combination. So I think three girls would be harder if all three had demanding personalities or were all whiny. Three kids is challenging at times, period. Three kids is a lot of laughter and fun too.
Boys love coming to play at our house in our playroom. We have cars, trucks, trains, superheros, six different capes, boy themed dress up clothes as well as puzzles, blocks, musical instruments, books, and art supplies. Then we have some "girl" toys (a label I disagree with) such as a kitchen, a few dolls, a doll bed, a blond wig (Hannah). Outside in the yard is is ball central. My boys play just fine at our friends houses with all girls too as they are comfortable having fun with just about any and all types of toys.
I have a few one liners that I throw at those who have comments about my three boy "situation" if I'm inclined to address them at all. Usually I just smile and say, "It's all good, I'm better with Batman than Barbie." Which really, is true.

ETA I really love having three boys this time of year as I get all the school stuff together. I need very few things for DS2 and almost nothing for DS3 - it's all in bins in the basement. I get to buy DS2 some fun shoes because shoes, socks and underwear pretty much make up his list. (The underwear is wishful thinking for now though). I also feel no guilt buying DS1 a few more expensive things now that I KNOW I will get my money's worth.

arivecchi
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Can I count DH and say I have 3? :wink2:

I just wanted to say CONGRATS! If I ever got pregnant again, I would want another boy. Boys :jammin:!

DH is one of three boys and they have such great relationships as adults. They also had a blast as kids!

infocrazy
08-18-2010, 03:52 PM
...but the one that irks me that comes out almost as frequently is "you finally got a girl." I would have loved to have another boy, love my girl, but the boys are fun too.

:yeahthat:

JBaxter
08-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Boys are awesome :D I have 4. We are into sports, music, video games tech stuff..

And I am Queen

hellokitty
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
It's craziness and the comments you get from ppl really suck. However, it's nice too, to be an, "expert" at something. Since I'm a mom to all boys, my friends who have questions about boys all come to me. Otherwise, I have to agree, that boys are fun. You have to be totally into potty humor though, b/c it never ends. It's like 24/7 of poop/fart talk.

cindys
08-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Get a good pair of running shoes!!!

Life with 3 boys is always an adventure...

Latest is that my 4yr old taught my 22month old that passing gas is the funniest thing in the world!!

And this past weekend we were playing with a turtle we found in the backyard and yesterday they found a baby snake and my 4yr old has Toy Story bandages all over his legs cause he was jumping off the couch and scraped his legs while sliding down...

You will never be bored! ENJOY!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 22months:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

JBaxter
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
It's craziness and the comments you get from ppl really suck. However, it's nice too, to be an, "expert" at something. Since I'm a mom to all boys, my friends who have questions about boys all come to me. Otherwise, I have to agree, that boys are fun. You have to be totally into potty humor though, b/c it never ends. It's like 24/7 of poop/fart talk.

I SO remember the potty talk phase LOL

Capt Underpants series added fuel to the fire

smilequeen
08-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I don't know what I have yet, but congrats! I would absolutely love to have another boy. I can only imagine how much fun they'd have together!

ilfaith
08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
I have three boys too, and some days I wonder what on earth I would do with a little girl. I love being mom to all boys. I love watching how the little ones worship their older brothers. Sure they fight...but just today it was wonderful to watch them all playing nicely together with their Geotrax trains (at least until the baby came along like Godzilla in Tokyo).

But it is true that I can't go anywhere with all three without someone remarking "wow you must really have your hands full" (even when they are behaving unusually well) and people still ask if we're going to try again for a girl (um no...I always tell them about my friend who had three boys and decided to try one more time and now is mom to five boys...yep she had twins)

Let us not forget the wonderful fact that with boys you never have to worry about finding a clean restroom. They can pee anywhere...and actually relish the opportunity to pee on a tree or a rock or a tire or (as my four-year-old did on a recent road trip) in an empty soft drink cup from McDonalds (we didn't even pull over)

ast96
08-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest. I love my three boys -- love them with all my heart. But a lot of the time, I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I don't understand them a lot of the time. I feel a bit like an outsider in the house. My oldest even told me once that Daddy "speaks their language" and I do not. I can't argue with that.

We spend a lot of time at the ER.

And the comments. Oh, the comments. I love the, "Oh, you're lucky you will never have a teenage girl!" So misogynistic and so simplistic. Plus, when you have three boys, ONE of them is bound to be your drama queen (for me, it's my oldest, who acts a lot like a preteen girl). "Boys love their mamas." Hogwash. Some boys do. Some boys don't. "You'll be the queen." Also hogwash. I am the maid. I get non-stop comments, and it irks me. Can you tell?

But I love my boys. Love, love, love them. Gender both matters and doesn't matter a bit. Boys are awesome, but at the end of the day, I am not a boy, and sometimes that does get to be tricky. And we aren't even to the wet dreams phase! I can hardly wait for puberty.

cindys
08-18-2010, 09:57 PM
"in an empty soft drink cup from McDonalds (we didn't even pull over)"

HAHA....Thats sounds like our road trips!! :jammin:

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 22mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

g-mama
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm going to be brutally honest. I love my three boys -- love them with all my heart. But a lot of the time, I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I don't understand them a lot of the time. I feel a bit like an outsider in the house.

:yeahthat: Well said. I feel this same way, and of course, love my boys with all my heart, too, but yeah.

Jeanne
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I don't have boys but some of my friends have all boys and one of them has the best response to the comments she gets. "Mother's of sons run from son up until son down". :)

kristac
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I have three boys too, and some days I wonder what on earth I would do with a little girl. I love being mom to all boys. I love watching how the little ones worship their older brothers. Sure they fight...but just today it was wonderful to watch them all playing nicely together with their Geotrax trains (at least until the baby came along like Godzilla in Tokyo).

But it is true that I can't go anywhere with all three without someone remarking "wow you must really have your hands full" (even when they are behaving unusually well)

My response to this is usually "better full then empty". I also get "bless your heart" alot since I am in the south. I figure one cannot be too blessed :)

I agree w/ PPs- boys are fun, crazy, amazing, loving, inspiring, gross, exhausting, baffling, and LOUD but I wouldn't have it any other way :love-retry:

Congratulations OP!

hellokitty
08-19-2010, 12:32 AM
I'm going to be brutally honest. I love my three boys -- love them with all my heart. But a lot of the time, I feel like a stranger in a strange land. I don't understand them a lot of the time. I feel a bit like an outsider in the house. My oldest even told me once that Daddy "speaks their language" and I do not. I can't argue with that.

We spend a lot of time at the ER.

And the comments. Oh, the comments. I love the, "Oh, you're lucky you will never have a teenage girl!" So misogynistic and so simplistic. Plus, when you have three boys, ONE of them is bound to be your drama queen (for me, it's my oldest, who acts a lot like a preteen girl). "Boys love their mamas." Hogwash. Some boys do. Some boys don't. "You'll be the queen." Also hogwash. I am the maid. I get non-stop comments, and it irks me. Can you tell?

But I love my boys. Love, love, love them. Gender both matters and doesn't matter a bit. Boys are awesome, but at the end of the day, I am not a boy, and sometimes that does get to be tricky. And we aren't even to the wet dreams phase! I can hardly wait for puberty.

:yeahthat: What you said is sooo true. I love my boys, but at the same time, I don't often, "get" what is going on in their heads and I feel like I am dealing with a bunch of aliens most of the time. DS2 is my drama queen. Every time some idiot comments about how lucky I am that I don't have to deal with the drama of a teenage girl, I do a vanna white pose next to DS2.

Just yesterday I was yelling at them that I am NOT their maid and pretty much my motto has been, "If you don't pick it up, it's going into the trash!!!!" I have to talk LOUD (ie: YELL) for my boys to listen to me and I resent that, b/c by nature I am a soft spoken person. Now I have become a yeller AND my kids' ADHD type of behavior has somehow rubbed off on me, b/c I feel like I can no longer focus, I've become a total flake and my house resembles hal and lois' house with each passing yr. Basically, I pretty much agree 100% with your post, plus some.

On top of that, I have, "issues" grieving over the fact that I will never have a dd, which is something I have been thinking about since I was a little girl. I don't want to hear ppl tell me that when my sons are married I will gain 3 daughters. It's NOT the same thing people and it's not like I can force my fdils to like me, they might hate my guts and they have their own mother, why would they want to step in as my daughter when they have their own mother to fulfill that role? I have really bad days sometimes where it's just really depressing for me and then mix in feeling the guilt that I should be happy I am a mom to three healthy boys... yet I still really wanted that girl, very, very badly. Yeah, I know that even if I had a girl, not everything would be perfect, but you know how it is. The grass always seems greener on the other side. I think that my gender disappointment is atypical compared to most moms of boys. The comments that ppl make when I am out with my 3 boys really bug the crap out of me. I know I shouldn't let them bug me, but sometimes they do. They are just really insensitive comments, many times coming from ppl who were lucky enough to have both boys and girls, so they are the least likely to understand where I am coming from and IMO the last person I want to hear an unsolicited comment from regarding their opinion of my family make up and my reproductive plans.

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2010, 06:31 AM
hellokitty, I just want to give you a :hug:.

JBaxter
08-19-2010, 07:03 AM
I hear people quite often say they grieved for not having a girl. I did maybe fore 5 minutes after the last u/s. My boys and I have an awesome connection maybe its just their personalities but even as the teen years hit us my boys are very open and honest with me and Ive never had any big problems.

I really dont think its having all one gender or the other but its the child itsself. I am MADE to be the momma of boys.

Now I have been told there is a special place in heaven after you have 3 or more boys LOL

ast96
08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Hello kitty, I am right there with you. And I have said it a thousand times: my grief over not raising a daughter has NOTHING to do with how I feel about my sons. I wouldn't trade one of them for a girl EVER. But it's not a rational feeling I have. I still mourn a daughter, every day, and I might always mourn a daughter. And it doesn't matter how many people tell me how much "easier" my boys are/will be (which is bull$#%@^, because raising children is hard no matter what gender they are) or how hard a mother/daughter relationship would be. I agree, those comments often come from people who have children of both genders. And I also don't think it is the same to compare it to women who have all girls.

Anyway. I love my children. Of course I do. But I am not a "rah-rah, all boys is AWESOME!" type of person. My two oldest fight like cats and dogs, the two younger ones are the best of buddies, we have great moments and we have really awful moments. But I love my kids!

alexsmommy
08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Just yesterday I was yelling at them that I am NOT their maid and pretty much my motto has been, "If you don't pick it up, it's going into the trash!!!!" I have to talk LOUD (ie: YELL) for my boys to listen to me and I resent that, b/c by nature I am a soft spoken person. Now I have become a yeller AND my kids' ADHD type of behavior has somehow rubbed off on me, b/c I feel like I can no longer focus, I've become a total flake and my house resembles hal and lois' house with each passing yr.

Honestly, I don't that is a "boy" issue per se - it's personality. DSD was (and, sigh, still is) a complete and total pig. I threw plenty of Barbie and Barbie toys (aquired before I was in her life and tried to quell that obsession a bit) in the trash for the same reason. To this day she is techinically not allowed to have drinks in her room because she will leave half full glasses of milk until they GROW MOLD (barf). I have often said, "Honey, you teach me to yell because you DO NOT LISTEN until I yell." She can be a sweet, sweeet girl in many ways, but she is a naturally messy person - which does not mesh well with my need for organization. It literally pains me to see in her room as this is the one space I let her do as she will (outside of rotting and moldy food) and only require it be cleaned once a week.

As far as focusing, if you have three really busy all over the place kids, again, boys or girls I could see that easily impacting how focused you feel. The boys were great this morning - in fact they slept in until it was time for them to go to my parents. They did nothing wrong - all I had to do was get them dressed, make sure they took their allergy meds - well and pack for the baby. Yet somehow I walked out the door without my pumping parts AND my office keys. I literally picked up my coffee right next to it and went about my merry way. I know I was thinking about the logisitics of me working late tonight and DS1 having soccer camp this evening. So yeah, just getting three ready and out the door alone can make me distractable, but that would be true of three girls as well.