PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Get Your Skin Screened - DH has melanoma

Melbel
08-18-2010, 11:11 AM
I have been trying to get DH to have his skin screened for years now because he has a number of moles on his back, none of which looked particularly unusual. I finally just scheduled the appointment myself and put it on his calendar. Lo and behold, one of the moles the doctor removed came back as melanoma, the most serious and deadly form of skin cancer. Based upon what the doctor told my husband, it looks like we caught it early, but they are going to be aggressive in treatment, including surgery to remove a fairly large margin in a couple weeks, biopsy of lymph nodes, lung xray and possible PET scan. We plan to get a second opinion with a doctor recommended by his best friend, who happens to be a radiology oncologist. He will also need screenings every 3 months for any changes.

It seems like we are once again facing a big medical scare in our immediate family. I am overall remaining hopeful and optimistic, but the cumulative stress is taking its toll. We would greatly appreciate any prayers and positive thoughts you can spare for a favorable prognosis, strength and wisdom during this challenging time.

misshollygolightly
08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's diagnosis. I can only imagine how terrifying that would be. Will be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way!

pinkmomagain
08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
My goodness, so sorry you are dealing with this. I am sending positive thoughts to your family. I'm sure others will chime in with BTDT experiences to help you through.

What a great wife you are for really pushing the checkup. Your DH is very lucky to have you.

arivecchi
08-18-2010, 11:20 AM
P&PT for your family Melbel. It sure seems like you have been through so much recently. :grouphug:

edurnemk
08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I am so sorry you're going through this scare. I hope it all goes well. P&PT.

And thanks for the reminder I have actually been thinking of getting screened again and I've been putting it off. I will make my appointment today.

TwinFoxes
08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh my goodness! Many prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. Sorry you keep having such a rough time. :hug:

frgsnlzrds
08-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Thank you for the reminder. I really hope everything goes well for your husband. Sending lots of pt.

sewarsh
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
So, so sorry. Hugs and prayers to you all. Good luck.

jenfromnj
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
P&PT to your family! This is such an important message, I'm glad you are getting it out there.

KpbS
08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
P+PT that all goes well for his treatment. So glad you scheduled his appt.! :hug:

elektra
08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Ugh. So scary. Just wanted to let you know that my brother had malignant melanoma several years ago, and he has made a full recovery. It is a serious thing and isn't just like getting a mole burned off. However the chances are very good that your DH will bounce back just fine and that it has not spread to any lymphnodes or anything else. It could very well be cleared up with minor surgery.

babychi
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
So sorry you are dealing with this. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Sun safety is so important and thank you for the reminder. I had my own scare a few years ago and had several spots removed to be tested. They came back OK and I vowed to see a dermatologist to get tested on an annual basis. I haven't been back since....scheduling a check-up appt this afternoon.

Momof3Labs
08-18-2010, 04:28 PM
I'll be thinking of you. Keep on posted on how things go, okay? :hug:

maiaann
08-18-2010, 04:40 PM
If it's not too personal of a question, how old is your DH?

Mamma2004
08-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Praying for you and your family. Your DH is so lucky that you pushed him to see a doctor! Hugs to you all. :grouphug:

maestramommy
08-18-2010, 05:00 PM
:hug: Will be praying for your Dh. Glad they caught it early.

Melbel
08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
If it's not too personal of a question, how old is your DH?

Not too personal. DH turned 40 last month. He has never smoked, drinks moderately (1-2 beers per week), and wears sunscreen (not always the greatest at reapplying but did not get burnt).

Thank you all for the support, prayers and positive thoughts. I will keep you posted.

Globetrotter
08-18-2010, 08:55 PM
:hug:

thank goodness he went in for that appointment.. sounds like it was caught early, and that is a good thing.

JBaxter
08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
What stage? I had a melanoma removed about 4 yrs ago .3mm deep stage 1. removed it no further treatment was needed. I get yearly checks now.

jd11365
08-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I too had Melanoma. These PSAs are so important. My diagnosis was 4 years ago on Kayla's 3rd birthday, when I was 30...and year after my friend died from it at 30, so obviously that freaked me out! I'm so glad your husband's was caught early. With regular check ups, and now you know he will have them, he should be just fine. I go once every 6 months.

Melbel
08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
What stage? I had a melanoma removed about 4 yrs ago .3mm deep stage 1. removed it no further treatment was needed. I get yearly checks now.

I am happy to hear that your situation turned out well. Consistent with what I have read, our doctors (dermatologist and radiology oncologist friend) both recommended quarterly screenings after any melanoma finding. I am surprised that you are only required to go annually, but I guess your doctors know your situation best.

My DH will not be staged until after the surgery (out patient), using a wider margin and potential skin graft to make sure that all of the cancer cells are removed, biopsy of lymph nodes and a chest Xray. If either the lymph nodes or chest Xray reveal any issues, they plan to order a PET scan. The dermatologist is also going to biopsy additional moles that she was just watching. I am not sure if the dermatologist is being overly aggressive, or if she is concerned by what she saw (in person and in path report). DH's pathology report indicated that the cancerous area was .5 cm. The report did indicate it was in situ (contained) but that it extended very close to the periphery of the biopsy margin in addition to some upward migration. A second mole also had some atypical cells.

Thank you again for the prayers and positive thoughts. It will be a long 2+ weeks until his surgery and results.

DrSally
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm so sorry, I'm hoping everything will continue to be ok after the surgery. Did he get looked at by his GP or did you go to a derm at first? If they didn't look unusual, how did they make the decision to biopsy? Just curious. I have one and DS has one that the doctors have told us at different points to "watch". Just wondering why not do a biopsy?

bubbaray
08-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I'm so sorry, you are all in my prayers.

Melbel
08-18-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm so sorry, I'm hoping everything will continue to be ok after the surgery. Did he get looked at by his GP or did you go to a derm at first? If they didn't look unusual, how did they make the decision to biopsy? Just curious. I have one and DS has one that the doctors have told us at different points to "watch". Just wondering why not do a biopsy?

He went to a dermatologist. I personally would prefer to be screened by a dermatologist with specialized training in skin cancer rather than a GP. It is a subjective decision whether or not to biopsy and IME, some doctors are more aggressive than others.

I came across online suggestions on how to do self exams as well. It may also be helpful to take notes and pictures to watch for changes.

http://www.medicinenet.com/melanoma/page11.htm

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-19-2010, 12:21 AM
HUGS!!!!!!:22: I had a pre-melanoma spot removed a few years ago. Sending much PT your way!

niccig
08-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Hugs. It sounds like you caught it early. Please update us as you know more.
I need to go get checked, thanks for the reminder.

WitMom
08-19-2010, 06:38 AM
I hope his surgery goes better than expected, and that he is soon completely cancer free. Prayers headed your way.

jgenie
08-19-2010, 07:07 AM
P & PT for you and your family. :hug:

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Melbel, so sorry to hear about your DH (happy belated b'day to him - I'm a 7/70 baby also) but I'm glad they caught it. Let us know how he (and you) are doing.

GREAT self-exam link. I should not rely solely on the pics my dermatologist takes yearly. When I moved away from FL after living there ages 15-30, I got my first screening. Having been a runner, a boater, a kayaker, a bike rider, plus having two convertibles definitely puts me in a risk group.

Hugs to your family. :grouphug:

MontrealMum
08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Sending you lots of :grouphug: and P&PT! My mom has been through this twice and even though it's not a fun process, she's fine now.

DrSally
08-19-2010, 03:06 PM
He went to a dermatologist. I personally would prefer to be screened by a dermatologist with specialized training in skin cancer rather than a GP. It is a subjective decision whether or not to biopsy and IME, some doctors are more aggressive than others.

I came across online suggestions on how to do self exams as well. It may also be helpful to take notes and pictures to watch for changes.

http://www.medicinenet.com/melanoma/page11.htm

Thank you for the link. Please keep us updated on how it goes. P&PT that everything goes well. :hug5:

catpagmo
08-19-2010, 03:44 PM
P & PT to you and your family. Thanks for the reminder. Hugs to you! :hug:

mommylamb
08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Wow. I'm so glad you pushed to get him to go to the doctor and have them checked.

MissyAg94
08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Prayers for your DH!

Corie
08-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Good Luck and Positive Thoughts to your husband!!

oneplustwo
08-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Very late to this thread, but sending you and your DH P&PT. I also had melanoma in situ 13 years ago. All is fine now.

Melbel
08-19-2010, 10:49 PM
I too had Melanoma. These PSAs are so important. My diagnosis was 4 years ago on Kayla's 3rd birthday, when I was 30...and year after my friend died from it at 30, so obviously that freaked me out! I'm so glad your husband's was caught early. With regular check ups, and now you know he will have them, he should be just fine. I go once every 6 months.

Thanks for sharing your story. I am glad to hear that you are doing well. My DF's BIL died in his 30's due to melanoma with young twin girls. I still vividly remember the stories of his struggles and the impact on the family.

Melbel, so sorry to hear about your DH (happy belated b'day to him - I'm a 7/70 baby also) but I'm glad they caught it. Let us know how he (and you) are doing.

GREAT self-exam link. I should not rely solely on the pics my dermatologist takes yearly. When I moved away from FL after living there ages 15-30, I got my first screening. Having been a runner, a boater, a kayaker, a bike rider, plus having two convertibles definitely puts me in a risk group.

Hugs to your family. :grouphug:

Happy belated 4-0 to you too. We also grew up in FL and enjoy an active outdoors lifestyle. We are also both fair, but tend to tan more than burn (with sunscreen on or just out and about around town). There is no family history of melanoma. I had him screened to be on the safe side, but did not ever expect to get this news.

Very late to this thread, but sending you and your DH P&PT. I also had melanoma in situ 13 years ago. All is fine now.

Thank you for sharing your success story. Logically, I know that he is probably a stage 1, but there is enough in the report and the doctor's recommendations to make me fear the "what ifs." Scary stuff. My poor MIL is beside herself even though we have not shared the information that has me more concerned.

I am thankful to have your kind words and support. We are working now to schedule DH with a surgeon who is extremely knowledable in melanoma (recommended by our radiology oncologist friend) for a second opinion and perhaps to perform the surgery (out patient).

ShanaMama
08-19-2010, 10:53 PM
P&PT for your family Melbel. It sure seems like you have been through so much recently. :grouphug:
:yeahthat: Huge hugs. And thanks for the PSA- DH is very fair skinned & I also 'forced' him to go for a screening. I need to push him to go back for a follow up.

MamaMolly
08-20-2010, 12:20 AM
My DH has a couple of spots I think should get checked just in case. Thank you for the PSA, I'm going to make an appointment for both of us.

My mom's dermatologist caught her own melanoma when she was showing a nervous patient how simple it is to remove a mole. She propped her leg on the table, snipped it off, covered it with a little bandage and as part of the course put the tissue in a vial to be tested. Can you imagine her own shock when it came back positive?

Good news is that she is fine, and still my mom's dermatologist. :) P & PT for you guys!