PDA

View Full Version : Long weekend in Seattle - where to stay & travel questions

YouAreTheFocus
08-18-2010, 01:28 PM
DH and I are thinking about going to Seattle for a long weekend at the end of the month (w/ the baby, who'll be 11 mos). We are in the bay area so this is a short flight for us. Neither of us have been there before, and we've also never stayed in a hotel w/ the baby.

1) I'm wondering where we should stay in Seattle--should we stick to downtown, or are there other fun areas we should counsider? We like cafes, shopping (independent stores, cd/music stores), food. Is there a neighborhood with this kind of vibe?

2) What are the must sees? Pikes Place, Space Needle, Experience Music Project, Aquarium? Are these musts? What else?

3) Is it easy to get around w/o a car w/ a baby? Stroller, ergo, public transit?

4) Do we lug a pack n play, or do all major hotels have cribs? Would you use a hotel crib? Are they normally clean & safe? Should we go for a higher end hotel like Pan Pacific or 4 Seasons for a better/more comfortable experience, or do these types tend to be less baby-friendly?

Thanks!

YouAreTheFocus
08-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Any experience with the Fairmont in Seattle? The baby amenities seem too good to be true! I haven't seen anywhere else with a list like this:

Baby Amenities:

Baby carriers
Bibs
Cribs
Diapers
Disposable baby bottles
Highchairs
Infant bathtubs
Pacifiers
Playpens
Rubber sheets
Strollers
Thermometers
Toiletries
Vaporizers

*We will also provide aids to assist in child-proofing the room. Please let us know at time of reservation.

liamsmom
08-19-2010, 01:23 AM
I can't recommend any hotels for you. Downtown will keep you close to most of what you want to see though. Neighborhoods like Belltown and Queen Anne are just outside of the downtown area and really convenient too.

I lived in Seattle until 4 years ago and I was childless then. But, there is a great zoo north of the downtown area, close to Greenlake--a nice neighborhood. The children's museum and the Pacific Science Center are both located at the Seattle Center--where the Needle and the EMP are. I'd honestly skip the EMP unless you really want to go. I had a lot more fun at the science center and I didn't even have a baby!

Seattle doesn't have great PT. It's only has buses. (Last I heard the light rail isn't operating as of yet, but I could be wrong.) The buses do run everywhere throughout the city, but it might be easier to rent a car, even if you only use it one day. The monorail runs from the Seattle Center to downtown, but it's literally a two-minute ride. I forget how much it costs to ride. The bus is free if you ride it only in the downtown area. I would bring an Ergo and an umbrella stroller and you'll be all set. Downtown Seattle is built on a steep, steep hill.

Some fun neighborhoods are Fremont and Greenlake (on the north side by the zoo), Belltown, Queen Anne, and Capitol Hill, (just outside of downtown), and West Seattle (opposite of downtown, but you can ride the water taxi to get there or take the bus--it only takes 10 minutes by car). I'd also go to Alki Beach in West Seattle. HTH!

robinsmommy
08-19-2010, 11:16 AM
I like Wallingford for fun shops. Not sure how easy it is with public transport from downtown.

I would look into transport for the airport to where you are staying - Seatac is quite a ways from downtown Seattle.

For a babe that age, I would do the aquarium (you'll like it too), with baby in the Ergo. They have touch tanks,too, but those would be more for you. Pike Place is neat, too, but a lot of stuff that you won't be buying (fresh food, flowers, etc). But we always like to go for lunch and people watching - walk, look, grab a bite at one of our fave places - little nibbles on the run - the Piroshski shop, the chinese place with BBQ humbow, 3 sisters bakery (for the double O's - peanut butter cookie with a reese's PB cup baked in - but they have lots of other goodies). Baby will like all the people and bright colors. Oh, and a duck tour of the harbor - one of those amphibian vehicles. They did have an accident a few years back - I am ok with riding on them, but I was much more of a nervous mom with DD1 - decide if you are comfortable with that or not. Could do a ferry ride, if you'd rather, there are docks close to the aquarium, and you can have nice views of the mountains and downtown if it is clear. Personally, I'd skip the music museum, and don't eat at the Space Needle if you go - $$$ for ho-hum food. There are day trip tickets for Seattle - I think they are good at the Needle, the Music thing, aquarium, zoo....you can also get coupons good on one or two things - grab one of those tourist pamplets, there are coupons for the aquarium, etc inside. Zoo is pretty good, San Diego is better, I've heard.

Here: http://www.citypass.com/seattle

Be prepared for rain - umbrella for baby in the ergo, and raincoats for you and DH. It's not real likely this time of year, but if you bring it, you'll probably have beautiful weather.

I'd limit how many areas I'd see - with public transport, you may spend a lot of time getting there instead of being there. Also, Belltown was "renewed" in the real estate boom, but I would still avoid that area at night, and it would not be my choice of place to get a hotel in. Seattle is great, but it is a large city, and since you'll be in touristy areas, be reasonably cautious with your wallet/purse.

Have fun!

YouAreTheFocus
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys, this is great! I'm copying your suggestions and making a list of things to do and places to go. We don't have a whole lot of time there, so I think we should make downtown our base. Normally on vacation we run around from about 10am-midnight to pack everything in, but we'll have to scale back now that we have the baby in tow!

HannaAddict
08-20-2010, 03:15 AM
I'm a Seattle native and will hope for sunny skies for you over Labor Day. You just never know. :) The Fairmont is nice, used to be the Four Seasons Olympic Hotel. Great location, the old dowager style right in the heart of the shopping/business district. The new Four Seasons is amazing too, right across from the Pike Place Market and up the street from Pioneer Square (underground tour of old Seattle, great art galleries and lots of homeless pop. too). Can be a little sketchy at night (late) but fine during the day. We stayed at the new Four Seasons for a school auction with new baby and sitter stashed upstairs. The hotel is hip and cool but they were amazingly accomodating. I told them we would have the baby and the room was outfitted with safe crib, bath items, even a new Diaper Dekkor. I did a double take in the gorgeous bathroom at the Dekkor! They have an amazing pool overlooking Puget Sound and the Olympics (and the Viaduct for full disclosure). There are some great deals I hear on the Sheraton on Priceline. It is a big corporate hotel but right downtown in the heart of it all.

I would do the Pike Place Market you can just walk around and explore, shopping district, hop the Monorail to the Seattle Center if you want to do the Children's Museum, they have a small toddler area with water fun, etc. And take a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island. Very important, Bainbridge, not Bremerton (though Bremerton is getting nicer). Bainbridge ferry is nice, they have lattes and microbrews and the ride is short (half hour each way). You walk on and can get there on foot from any hotel downtown. In Bainbridge they have a cute little town walking distance and a children's museum though it might be being remodeled. But lovely ride, good food if you want to go explore and it is an easy trip. The ferry leave from the waterfront below the Pike Place Market, and is down the street from the aquarium. I think we could do better on the aquarium front, but is fine and nice that it is right downtown. If you take a bus up to the top of Queen Anne Hill, there are cute independent shops, lots of coffee places from Starbucks to independents, good restaurants including kid friendly places (there are a ton of kids), a great independent toy store (Once Upon a Time) and it is closer to downtown than Wallingford and literally a 10-15 minute bus ride(no transfers, one bus). If Frasier from the show really lived in Seattle, that would be his neighborhood based on his view!

Have fun.

sadie427
08-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Great suggestions here. I'm sure the Fairmont is very nice. You can take the light rail to downtown from the airport, we've done this w/ 2 kids so it is pretty manageable, I would look into how far your hotel is from the light rail stop at Westlake Center.

I wouldn't personally rent a car here for a weekend trip, PT is not quite as good as SF but is fine for just getting around to the major sites, especially if you haven't been here before.

Wouldn't make a special trip to Wallingford. There's plenty to do closer to downtown. For cafes/city vibe, could go to Capitol Hill, would recommend Cafe Presse, Boom Noodle, Izilla Toys, and Molly Moon's ice cream and Cal Anderson Park for the playground. Agree Bainbridge is a great day trip.

I personally use hotel cribs/pack and plays, wouldn't lug a pack and play, but not everyone is comfortable with that.

Feel free to PM w/ more questions, I live here w/ 2 kids.

kijip
09-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Sea-town is my home. In downtown I would stay at the fairmont or less pricey the Silver Cloud near Pioneer Square. the Westin is nice to people with kids and the Edgewater on the water is fun if you can find a deal.

Ride a ferry.
Go to the market.
Explore pioneer square.
Madision valley has a nice beach and kids park one bus from downtown.

Bumpershoot is taking over Seattle center that weekend. Google younger shoot Seattle and see the family line up. Caspar babypants is fun. It is $22 for adults and free for kids under ten.

If you stay downtown skip the car. Everything is either dt or is one bus from downtown anyways and hotel parking is pricey. If you stay in the udistrict or something, get a car. It the u district hotel deca is nice.

Have fun.

YouAreTheFocus
09-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Bumpershoot is taking over Seattle center that weekend. Google younger shoot Seattle and see the family line up. Caspar babypants is fun. It is $22 for adults and free for kids under ten.

It's funny that you mention this now...my husband and I are both into music, but so out of the loop right now that we didn't even realize Bumbershoot was this weekend. He just sent me an email that was half excited and half "oh no!" Will it be so crowded that navigating DT w/ a stroller will be miserable, or will the crowds be contained to Seattle Center? He really wants to go to EMP, but I guess that's exactly where the festival is.

Btw, we are staying at the Kimpton-Alexis, b/c I was able to get a suite w/ a solid door seperating the br from the sitting area :bighand:

kijip
09-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Bumpershoot crowds will be contained to the Seattle Center, just don't drive in that area. Buses will be fine.

I'd consider going to bumpershoot 1 day if you want to go to EMP. We have gone with young kids and it is a lot of fun. And this year they are free under age 10. They have Flatstock to peruse for posters. Lots of music shopping, kids activities, circus type performers. It's $22 advance for the economy (no mainstage) ticket. http://www.redtri.com/insiders-guide-to-seattles-bumbershootyoungershoot-2010/ Lots of fun kids music too.

Pagliacci (pizza, salads) at Mercer and Queen Ann Ave is a a good place to eat with kids near the Seattle Center.

kijip
09-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh, you are right near Pioneer Square. Lots of great food in that area. And stadiums. The Sounders are away this weekend but the Mariners are at home so expect some (light) crowds. Our team is not great/so far out of contention and it's the end of the season so it won't be a vast crush of people.

Get lunch at Grand Central Bakery and eat in Occidental Park. They are wonderful. Elliot Bay Cafe at 1st and Main has good breakfast. There is a fun toy store in Pioneer Square called Magic Mouse Toys. Other plugs: Cafe Paloma or Main St Gyros (does look like much but it is amazing and the owners will give your kids free baklava!) if you like mediterranean food. Salumi if you like freshmade cured meats.

YouAreTheFocus
09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
Yum, great, thanks! We actually do love mediterranean food, and my husband is nuts about cured meats (any meat, really). And all three of us love toy stores (probably us more than the baby!). I wish we were going for longer, there seems like a lot of fun areas to visit and things to do!

Thanks!

larig
09-02-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm also a Seattle girl. In that area I just love Le Pichet for lunch (if you like French food).
http://lepichetseattle.com/pages/home.php

In the market the Pink Door is great for Italian.
http://www.thepinkdoor.net/

kijip
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Seconding larig on Le Pichet. And also, I think Fado is very close to the Alexis. It's great Irish food.

larig
09-02-2010, 03:50 PM
I didn't mention Fado, because last time we tried to go in we couldn't take DS in. I don't know if this is new or not. I was disappointed, because I really wanted some boxty.

YouAreTheFocus
09-02-2010, 04:02 PM
I just looked at the website and was wondering this as well. I hate trying to bring my baby into a bar-type-place and getting turned away--it makes me feel like a terrible mother/alcoholic. ;)

kijip
09-02-2010, 08:48 PM
I didn't mention Fado, because last time we tried to go in we couldn't take DS in. I don't know if this is new or not. I was disappointed, because I really wanted some boxty.

You know, that is a great point. I think you are right. I have never tried, but I have never taken the kids there and the laws are very restrictive in WA State. Bummer! Now I want some boxty. :p

YouAreTheFocus
09-03-2010, 12:01 AM
You know, that is a great point. I think you are right. I have never tried, but I have never taken the kids there and the laws are very restrictive in WA State. Bummer! Now I want some boxty. :p

This is good to know. Here in SF bay area, as long as an establishment serves food, any age can enter. So here that Irish pub would be all ages. It's only places that are alcohol only that are 21+.