PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Audible.com users

toby
08-18-2010, 04:41 PM
DS (6 years) listens to a lot of talking books. So far, we have gotten everything from the library, but are running into a lot of scratched CDs and I would also like to have a larger lot to choose from.

My understanding is that you subscribe to Audible ($7.50 for the first 3 months and then $15.00) and for this you get one free talking book and then the "right" to buy others? (at 30% off?) And then for every book I buy, I get a credit? (and does that credit = another free book?)

I guess that I am trying to figure out if it is worth the $$...

Thanks.

tarahsolazy
08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
There are lots of different levels of membership for Audible, at different prices.

You are referring to a deal they are running on the Gold membership, which gets you one free book a month, plus reduced rates on books. Its 7.50 a month for three months, then the regular price of 14.95 or whatever.

The cheapest way to do Audible is to buy 24 credits (books) at a time, which makes it around 9.50 a book.

They run several sales a year with books at about $5 ea, and use three credits get one free, or get $10, etc. I always buy books if the cost will be less than $10, otherwise I use a credit.

khm
08-18-2010, 06:09 PM
I did Audible for a long time. There was a special with Amazon where I got my fancy mp3 player for free if I signed up for 1 year of audible. (This was years ago, I have no idea if they still do that occasionally.)

I did the $15 plan. I think I only ever bought more if it was a $5 deal or other promotion.

I'm not sure about the buying a "regular" priced book (well, regular minus the 30% discount) and getting another credit, sorry! But, yeah, if they give you another credit for each regular purchase, that equals 1 book (generally, there are rare titles that are 2 credits).

I often carried points over. I was only doing books for me and my husband, not the kids.

But, I also use www.netlibrary.com and www.overdrive.com which are free from the library. Between the three, I didn't have a need for extra credits on audible! :) Check your library!

cckwmh
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
we were using books on cd for DD at the library, but they were always scratched and poor quality. We ended up downloading audio books directly to my ipod via our local library and the boston public library. we were able to get an electronic membership to download ebooks (for my nook) and audiobooks for the ipod without having to go to the BPL or even living in boston. If was really easy. we used audible in the past because we had a coupon for 3 free downloads, then we canceled it. it wasn't cost effective IMO.