PDA

View Full Version : What is your "famous" recipe?

Jen841
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
What do you make that people have to have your recipe? I seem to get the most requests for my "dip"

Equal parts of:
Green pepper - diced
Tomato - diced
Onion - diced
Cheese - diced
mixed with a strong salsa verde or can of something (to taste)

Serve with tortilla chips.

Twoboos
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Three things - Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins, Cream Cheese Pie, and Chutney Brie bites.

I'm pretty sure I've posted at least two if not all three before... I will look. Easier to search here than through my recipes!! :ROTFLMAO:

OK, here they are. Now I'm hungry.

Blueberry Oat Muffins
(Makes 12, but just save yourself and double it to make 24. Trust me.)

1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
1 cup sour milk
1 cup flour (I usually do half whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Baking soda
½ tsp. Salt
¾ cup brown sugar, packed (when doubling I"ve been using 1c brown sugar lately, so you could cut this to 1/2c)
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oats and milk, let stand 5-10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add egg and butter to oat mixture and stir well. Stir oat mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Fill lined or well-greased muffin tins with an ice cream scoop, and bake for 20 minutes.

NOTE: Substitutes for buttermilk/sour milk:
1 cup milk w/1 tbls lemon juice or white vinegar
Equal amount sour cream
Equal amounts yogurt/milk

Cranberry Brie Bites

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups Stonewall Kitchen Apple Cranberry Chutney (OR your fav brand chutney - I found a Stop & Shop brand that works just as well)
1 puff pastry sheet (OR frozen puff pastry cups, I think Athenos brand)
1 Brie triangle, chilled

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
-Cut puff pastry sheet into approximately 3 inch squares and place into mini muffin tins, pressing them into the shape of the tin. (OR, place pastry cups on baking sheet. TOO easy!)
-Place a 1 inch slice of brie in the center of the pastry and top with 1 Tbsp Stonewall Kitchen Apple Cranberry Chutney.
-Bake 10 minutes or until pastry corners are toasted light brown. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.

CREAM CHEESE PIE
2 packages softened cream cheese
1 9 inch prepared graham cracker crust (*I use Choc or Oreo crust.)
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
2 tblsp white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:
-In the bowl of the electric mixer, combine together the cream cheese, 1 tsp vanilla extract, eggs and 1 cup sugar and mix them at a low speed.
-When the mixture smoothens, stop beating and pour it into graham cracker crust.
-Now bake the pie in an oven for 35 minutes at 350 degree F and then remove it from the oven.
-Blend sour cream, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tblsp sugar in a small bowl and spread over the pie gently.
-Now raise the temperature of the oven to 450 degree F and bake for 5 min.
- Refrigerate at least 3hrs before serving.

Twoboos
08-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh dear, I had forgotten about this one. A friend just let me know she just made this, although it's not Christmas time. Now I am REALLY craving bad things. No one can believe this has saltines in it!

Christmas Bark
Makes approx 40 pieces

1 sleeve saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
12oz semi-sweet choc morsals
1 cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Place crackers in one layer on parchment-lined baking sheet (with sides)
3. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan. Cook for 3 mins, stirring constantly
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over the crackers, spread evenly
5. Bake for 15 mins
6. Remove from oven and sprinkle with choc morsals. When they start to melt, spread evenly over entire layer of crackers
7. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top
8. Refrigerate 1 hr
9. Remove from frige and crack into pieces

jgenie
08-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I haven't tried the other recipes but I can vouch for this one. It's a staple in our house - and we ALWAYS make a double batch. It's nice to know who posted it originally. :)

Blueberry Oat Muffins
(Makes 12, but just save yourself and double it to make 24. Trust me.)

1 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
1 cup sour milk
1 cup flour (I usually do half whole wheat flour)
1 tsp. Baking powder
½ tsp. Baking soda
½ tsp. Salt
¾ cup brown sugar, packed (when doubling I"ve been using 1c brown sugar lately, so you could cut this to 1/2c)
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup melted butter
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oats and milk, let stand 5-10 minutes. Combine dry ingredients in another bowl. Add egg and butter to oat mixture and stir well. Stir oat mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in blueberries. Fill lined or well-greased muffin tins with an ice cream scoop, and bake for 20 minutes.

Equal amount sour cream

Beth24
08-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Ok the blueberry muffin recipe just made my stomach growl! Just wondering if you've ever tried it with all whole wheat flour and how it came out. Sometimes I bake with King Arthur's white whole wheat flour as a substitute but for a lot of recipes a full substitution just doesn't work. TIA.

Fairy
08-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I make a handful of things very well, but the one and only thing people say is to die for -- and it is -- is my cheesecake.

1 sleeve graham crackers crushed up to hell and gone
Enough melted butter to get the right consistency, at least 3 Tbl
1T brown sugar
1T sugar
Mix 'em all together and press into a springform. make sure some of it goes half a CM or so up the sides. Bake 10 minutes, take out to cool.

4pkg cream cheese. NOT LOWFAT CRAP. Real stuff
1C sour cream (I think, I have to look it up)
1C sugar
3T flour
4 eggs
2tsp vanilla
Mix them in a mixer. This will be some heavy stuff, so make sure it's a powerful mixer. Don't even attempt to do this by hand. Don't overmix it.
Pour over crust, bake at 325 for ... I dunno. I go at least an hour and 10 minutes, but that rarely does it. If it's liquid-jiggly in the middle, it's not done. Better to overbake it if in doubt. I tend to go 90 minutes, never more. Underbaking BAD, overbaking, OK. It will split. I've yet to get mine not to split. The one time it did not split, it was clearly underdone, so I would just accept the fact taht it's gonna split.

Twoboos
08-18-2010, 08:36 PM
I It's nice to know who posted it originally. :)

You are kind, but I am not the OP! Someone from here posted it long ago and far away... I don't even know who now, it could very easily have been 6+year ago.

MMMommy
08-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Yummy Potatoes

Ingredients:
Butter (salted or unsalted) for greasing baking dish
6 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 lbs. of russet potatoes, peeled (give or take more or less potatoes)
salt
black pepper
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Liberally butter a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish. Scatter minced garlic in bottom of baking dish. Cut the peeled russet potatoes into 1/8 inch thick slices. Layer potatoes in dish, sprinkling each layer with salt and pepper. After layering is complete, pour heavy cream over potatoes. Bake. Once or twice press down on the potatoes with a spatula (flatten or tamp down the potatoes a bit). Bake until golden on top. Cream will be slightly thickened. Bake approximately 1 hr. 15 min.

lizzywednesday
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Hibiscus Sangria

INTRO:

"My" hibiscus sangria is quickly becoming a Family "tradition" for parties and get-togethers to celebrate life & love & hope & happiness. I first made this for my family at Christmas when we had my brothers, sister, Dad and Dad's g.f. for a get-together ... and I decided I needed a cocktail. Lo and behold, this recipe was listed at The Nest ... it's from the book '1000 Sangria and Pitcher Drinks.'

RECIPE:

1 bottle dry white wine
2 cups brewed and cooled hibiscus tea
1/2 cup simple syrup
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup orange curacao (any orange liqueur will do)
1/4 cup Hendrick's Gin
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
1 liter 7-Up

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT 7-Up in glass or ceramic container, mix and let sit for at least 4 hours in the fridge.

To serve, fill a 19-oz glass about halfway with the sangria mixture and top with 7-Up.

If you're into garnishes, the recipe recommends garnishing each glass with a lemon wheel and an orchid, but I've used orange slices and mandarin orange rimming sugar or nothing at all in the past. Either way, it's a wonderful color and the fizz from the soda makes all the liquor go straight to your head.

TIPS & TRICKS

(1) Say you're not a big drinker and would prefer not to have a big bottle of gin and orange liqueur lurking in your cabinet. That's OK ... just get a 50mL "nip" bottle of gin (I recommend Tanqueray over Beefeater if you cannot get Hendricks in a nip size) and a 50mL "nip" bottle of Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur) and they will equal 1/4 cup each. (I actually measured this when we made it for DH's parents out at their house in Arizona.)

(2) I use the Celestial Seasonings brand Red Zinger flavor tea. The PRIMARY ingredient is hibiscus flowers, but it's also got peppermint, rose hips and lemongrass, so it may make up for not using Hendrick's gin if you can't find it. (Hendrick's Gin is a small-batch gin, distilled in Scotland, rather than larger-batch gin, distilled in England. In addition to the traditional gin herbs, Hendrick's adds cucumber and rose petals; when you first open the bottle, you catch a whiff of rose essence with a hint of cucumber. I'll admit, it's kind of an offbeat ingredient, so if you can't find it, use Tanqueray.)

(3) I use either Marques de Riscal rueda or Marques de Caceres white rioja for this recipe. The rueda is typically $10 and the rioja is typically $8; they come in screw-top bottles. This is not a bad thing. The wines are very drinkable on their own, but there's no sense in spending more than $10 on the wine for this recipe.

(4) I use fresh-squeezed lemon juice. With a reamer, it takes 1 lemon to get 1/2 cup of juice. Without a reamer, it takes me 2-3 lemons. I don't know how this would turn out if you were to use concentrate; I haven't used concentrate because I think it's bitter.

(5) There's no need to go out and buy simple syrup; you can make your own. Seriously; it's super-easy. Basically, it's 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, heated until all the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear. To make half a cup of simple syrup, play with the proportions. I've been using 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water, which has yielded me approximately 3/4 cup of syrup when everything's finally dissolved, so I end up dumping the excess down the drain.

KrisM
08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Blueberry Oat Muffins

Equal amount sour cream

Can you tell me what this really means? Do I use a cup of milk and a cup of sour cream and a cup of yogurt and more milk? Or a cup of just one of those?

infomama
08-27-2010, 09:48 PM
My waffles and pancakes are famous but the are both guarded family recipes.

jgenie
08-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Can you tell me what this really means? Do I use a cup of milk and a cup of sour cream and a cup of yogurt and more milk? Or a cup of just one of those?

I substitute yogurt for the sour milk - same amount - so 1 cup yogurt in place of the sour milk.

Twoboos
08-28-2010, 07:30 AM

Ooops, sorry - I should have an "OR" in there.

Any one of those 3 methods will work. I usually do 1c milk and 1 tblspn vinegar.

KrisM
08-28-2010, 07:48 AM
I substitute yogurt for the sour milk - same amount - so 1 cup yogurt in place of the sour milk.

Ooops, sorry - I should have an "OR" in there.

Any one of those 3 methods will work. I usually do 1c milk and 1 tblspn vinegar.

Thanks to both. I never used sour milk and I'm not a big cook, so I had no idea what it really meant :).