PDA

View Full Version : Explain thermoses to me, please

kristenk
08-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I have never put food in a thermos. I've always just thought of them for soups and pastas, for some reason. Considering that DD is anti-soup and not a huge pasta fan, the thermos concept has just been totally off my radar.

Thanks to a comment by niccig about oatmeal, however, I'm reconsidering the thermos. DD loves oatmeal and might actually eat that for lunch at school. So, my questions:

What do you put in a thermos? What have you tried in a thermos that just didn't work out after being in a thermos for 3-4 hours? Does the consistency change? If you put something like a quesadilla in a thermos, does it really stay warm? Does is end up with moisture on it since you put something hot in an enclosed space?

I've read enough to know that I should sort of pre-heat the thermos with hot water, but are there any other tips?

Finally, which thermos works best for your DC?

KrisM
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
We use a Funtainer, found at Target. I've put mac n cheese, cut up pizza, ravioli, etc in it. Haven't had any complaints from DS about the consistency of anything yet.

kristenk
08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Kris, would you consider your son picky about consistency/temperature in general?

alexsmommy
08-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks to some great suggestions here - I put just about everything that fits in his funtainer. DS1 is just not a sandwich kid which makes lunches challenging at times.

So things like chicken nuggets - heat in toaster oven, meanwhile heat water in microwave, pour hot water in funtainer, let it sit a few minutes, meanwhile, pull chicken nuggets out, wrap them in foil, then empty funtainer, dry quickly, then put foil wrapped chicken nuggest in funtainer. DS1 says they are the perfect temp by lunchtime.

Pasta with butter or sauce is heavy in our lunch rotation too, same thing, pre-warm funtainer with hot water, put hot pasta in, stays fine until lunch.

He asked for left over taco meat so I did that and just gave him tortilla chips and cheese in another container.

I would absolutely put quesadillas, cut into strips, into it.

Really, you just have to try - even if it changes consistency, your DC may like it just fine.

Note to self, make sure funtainers and lids are ready to go next week...

KrisM
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Kris, would you consider your son picky about consistency/temperature in general?

He is not very picky at all on foods he likes.

Why don't you get a Funtainer and do some experiments? Heat something up and pack the Thermos and leave it on the counter until it's lunchtime. See how it works for your food and daughter.

I forgot that leftover spaghetti, mixed with the sauce, is a big hit as well.

KrisM
08-18-2010, 10:04 PM
So things like chicken nuggets - heat in toaster oven, meanwhile heat water in microwave, pour hot water in funtainer, let it sit a few minutes, meanwhile, pull chicken nuggets out, wrap them in foil, then empty funtainer, dry quickly, then put foil wrapped chicken nuggest in funtainer. DS1 says they are the perfect temp by lunchtime.

Is the foil a key part to this? I didn't think about chicken nuggets, but might give that a try. But, I'm lazy and skippy foil sounds better :).

niccig
08-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I love our thermos. I do as a PP said, I heat up water in the microwave and pour it into the thermos to stand while I prepare lunch.

Oatmeal is DS's favourite and we do it once a week. I make that, put it in the hot thermos. I get a small gladware container, the smallest size and I put a little bit of maple syrup in that for DS to pour over the oatmeal. A container of cut up fruit, and either a yoghurt or milk, and we're done.

Other favourites have been cut up hot dog, pizza, quesadilla, fried rice, any leftovers from dinner. Baked beans would work or chilli. I've done scrambled eggs and bacon or pancakes.

We have the funtainer. A friend's DS has a plastic one from Target that has a wider opening, so I might get there to make it easier to get things in and out - not that DS has complained.

MNmomtobe
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Interesting. I never quite understood the thermos thing either. How long would a funtainer keep something hot? This would be great for DD, who is sooo picky about food. When deciding on a restaurant when we eat out, DH and I ask ourselves, "so what do they have that DD would eat?". I usually end up packing a turkey and cheese sandwich for her in an insulated lunch bag.

niccig
08-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Interesting. I never quite understood the thermos thing either. How long would a funtainer keep something hot? This would be great for DD, who is sooo picky about food. When deciding on a restaurant when we eat out, DH and I ask ourselves, "so what do they have that DD would eat?". I usually end up packing a turkey and cheese sandwich for her in an insulated lunch bag.

Here's the answer to how a thermos works http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4568274_a-thermos-work.html

My Dad always took one filled with coffee, I have a similar old fashioned drinking thermos that I use for hot chocolate in Winter. I have the funtainer for DS for his food at school. He says things are still fine for lunch time. I've been meaning to test it and see how long it keeps thigns hot.

crl
08-19-2010, 12:59 AM
Another tip for maintaining temp in a thermos is to fill it up all the way.

Catherine

GaPeach_in_Ca
08-19-2010, 01:32 AM

I used this technique with cheeseburger slider and DS reported back it was too cold at lunch. I tried it twice to be sure I got the funtainer and burger nice & hot, but no go. Kind of a bummer.

We had better luck with pasta (ravioli & meatball), but DS would only eat it if we sent along a dish for him to pour it into.

Need to expand our repitoire... I guess our DS is just pickier than most. He will eat a variety at dinner, but that is with encouragement. If not prodded, he will just avoid things that he isn't sure he will like and stick with his favorites. I was just the same way, really. Turned out fine, though. ;)

egoldber
08-19-2010, 06:44 AM
I use the thermos occasionally. Mainly for pasta based dishes: rice, mac&cheese, pasta with sauce.

It's a bit of a pain for mr to do in the morning AND I have to have the appropriate leftovers laying around....

alexsmommy
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Is the foil a key part to this? I didn't think about chicken nuggets, but might give that a try. But, I'm lazy and skippy foil sounds better :).

Probably not, I just do it because I I'M lazy and don't always feel like drying the hot thermos perfectly... so foil protects them. I usually just pour the water out and give a quick swipe with a dishtowel to get the biggest beads of water out.

alexsmommy
08-19-2010, 08:37 AM
I used this technique with cheeseburger slider and DS reported back it was too cold at lunch. I tried it twice to be sure I got the funtainer and burger nice & hot, but no go. Kind of a bummer.

We had better luck with pasta (ravioli & meatball), but DS would only eat it if we sent along a dish for him to pour it into.

I think it's all trial and error, and what your DC considers "hot enough." We've had one or two things he didn't like, felt they were too lukewarm.

OP - I'd just try and on days you are sending something you aren't too sure of, do what I do, make sure there are several heavy protein add-ons in there i.e. mozzerella stick, yogurt tube, pudding... that's what I do whenever I send something "new" in any form.

clc053103
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Found with DS that mac and cheese changed consistency too much and he wouldn't eat it, but chef boyardee (no flames, I would make him home made but he won't eat it! He only likes that stuff in the tub!) consistency is much better. Chicken Nuggets I didnt try the foil, and think maybe I will try that next time!