PDA

View Full Version : 4yo with headache and fever

khalloc
08-19-2010, 10:19 AM
My 4 yo has been complaining about a headache at the top of her head since last night. I gave her Motrin last night and put her to bed. She was fine all night. This morning she tells me she still has a headache. So i give her Motrin again and she goes to daycare.

Now daycare just called at 9:50am. Said she is complaining of a headache (I gave her Motrin at around 6:15am), she is lethargic and has a fever of 102!

My husband is going to pick her up since I am out of sick days. Is a headache a cause of worry for a 4 year old? Should I just have him see how she is doing at home after a nap? I dont know how much her head hurts. Wondering if she needs to go to the doc. Normally I would call and ask them, but today is the doctor's day off. So I hate to bother her if its not serious.

Also, my 2yo is just finishing up having a rash all over him. He was at the doctors on Tuesday and she said his rash was viral. So theoretically DD could have that. But he never had a 102 fever. His was just 100, and he had the rash before the fever. Not sure if DD is getting the rash or not.

This stinks. Tomorrow the kids were supposed to go on a short field trip and we were leaving tomorrow afternoon to go camping with cousins for the weekend. Crossing my fingers that she feels better!

citymama
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM
I would take her/them to the pediatrician (isn't there a back-up person?) just in case. There may be something going around which causes those symptoms. At the very least, I would call the pediatrician's office. Hope she feels better soon!

khalloc
08-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Well there isnt a backup person. Our pediatrician is in her own private practice. But she will always see the child if you request it. So if I call and leave a message she will call back and talk with me and determine if I should bring her in.

I think DH is going to bring her home, let her rest or nap on the couch and then call and tell me how she is doing and if she isnt feeling better I will call the doctor after lunchtime.

bubbaray
08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Unless the headache gets worse or the fever d/n respond to Tylenol or Advil, I wouldn't call based on the symptoms you described.

Hope she's better soon!

khalloc
08-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks. For some reason the headache is what concerns me, not really the fever. Hopefully she just has what DS had. He felt great except for maybe a 12 hour period at night. Then he just had this full body rash for 5 days.

I had migraine headaches as a child so I just hope she never develops those.

hillview
08-19-2010, 11:06 AM
My DS (age 5) had this exactly about 3 weeks ago. He spiked to 101.9 at one point and headache. The motrin did take care of it after 2 days. I kept a close eye on him.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=367122
/hillary

longtallsally05
08-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Not much you can do except Tylenol/Motrin and TLC. I'm right there with you today, re: sick 4 yo! :fever:

happymom
08-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Hopefully she just has what DS had. He felt great except for maybe a 12 hour period at night. Then he just had this full body rash for 5 days.

That sounds like roseola to me, no?

Hope your DD feels better soon!

khalloc
08-19-2010, 01:17 PM
That sounds like roseola to me, no?

Hope your DD feels better soon!

Well Doc did not say Roseola, just "viral". And the daycare director said it did not look like roseola either. But his rash started to disappear yesterday.

bubbaray
08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Roseola is a distinctive rash -- any dr or childcare person should be able to recognize it.

General viral rashes are pretty benign -- just one of a myriad of symptoms that can present with any given virus. FWIW, not all children will get the same symptoms from the same virus. So, while your DS had a rash with last week's virus, if your DD has the same virus, she may or may not get that rash, KWIM?