PDA

View Full Version : In desperate need of cake baking help!

g-mama
08-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Somehow I got talked into making an elaborate 3-tier Toy Story cake for my middle ds' birthday party on Saturday, instead of just buying a cake from the store. I borrowed a neighbor's cake pans and started baking the cakes last night. The pans are not non-stick, so I sprayed Baker's Joy (oil + flour) on the bottoms and sides. Total disaster. All the cakes stuck to the pans and wouldn't come out without breaking into chunks.

So I'm headed back to the store to buy more cake mixes (3 mixes + 9 eggs down the drain!) but I'm wondering if I should go to Michael's and buy my own non-stick pans....or, is there a secret to making the cakes not stick? I read online that you should flour the pans, in addition to using butter, but isn't the spray the same thing? I don't want to waste more cake and more time having another sticky disaster.

HELP!!

weech
08-19-2010, 11:01 AM
I've had a lot of luck with Wilton's "Cake Release" (I think that's what it's called). I just rub it onto the pan with a paper towel and the cakes come out great no matter what kind of pan I'm using.

lil_acorn
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
have you seen these? I think these are adorable and toy story themed...

http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-recipes/recipe-857832-green-alien-cupcakes-t/

Tanya
08-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Me too. I recommend Wilton's cake release. I've used it in glass pans and in Wilton shape pans (with all the little crevices and everything).

Good luck! I always make my kids' cakes, but this year, I'm kind of dreading doing the 4 year old's since I'm pregnant and decorating takes so long.

marie
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Wax paper.
Take a sheet of wax paper out of the roll. Place on counter. Put pan on top of wax paper and trace around it. Cut it out. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the wax paper on the bottom. Then grease and flour again.

When the cake comes out of the oven, run a knife around the edges, then flip out of pan.

(I'm assuming the pans have flat bottoms since you are doing a tiered cake. If not, ignore the above!)

good luck!

goodnightmoon
08-19-2010, 11:08 AM
According to the bakers at cakecentral.com you should mix 1 part crisco, 1 part oil and 1 part flour and coat the pan bottom and sides. It works just as well as Wilton's cake release. Good luck! :)

g-mama
08-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will go to Michael's and look for the Cake Release.

This is the cake I'm trying to make: http://forum.baby-gaga.com/about1030331.html

except not the woody log things on the bottom tier, and I'm using regular frosting, not fondant. I even have all the figurines I got at Disney Store. Wish me luck!

g-mama
08-19-2010, 11:10 AM
According to the bakers at cakecentral.com you should mix 1 part crisco, 1 part oil and 1 part flour and coat the pan bottom and sides. It works just as well as Wilton's cake release. Good luck! :)

Hmmm....well I could go buy Crisco, but how often would I use that? I'll have to think about it. Thank you!

wendmatt
08-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Parchment paper, wonderful stuff. For round cakes, cut round the pan for the bottom, then get a long strip and cut bits into it so it'll fit round the edge and then put the round on top,(did I explain that right?) gets the cake out perfectly.
My mums a pro cake maker and she does this for all her round cakes.

icunurse
08-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Witlon's Cake Release. Have never had anything stick when I have used it and it is already premade and ready to go.

crl
08-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I second the wax paper. That's the only thing that worked for me last year for ds' birthday cake.

Good luck!
Catherine

egoldber
08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Cake Release is magic! Just don't read the ingredients LOL!

g-mama
08-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Will wax paper work the same as parchment paper?

marie
08-19-2010, 12:28 PM

it should and has for me in the past.

hobie
08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Wax paper.
Take a sheet of wax paper out of the roll. Place on counter. Put pan on top of wax paper and trace around it. Cut it out. Grease the bottom and sides of the pan. Put the wax paper on the bottom. Then grease and flour again.

When the cake comes out of the oven, run a knife around the edges, then flip out of pan.

(I'm assuming the pans have flat bottoms since you are doing a tiered cake. If not, ignore the above!)

good luck!

Parchment paper, not wax paper is what I have used.

g-mama
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Never mind! Just realized some people had already said wax paper. My head is spinning!

mikeys_mom
08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
I use either oil or margarine, pretty generously and then coat with flour or cocoa powder, depending on whether the cake is chocolate or vanilla. If there are any grooves or designs in the cake pan, make sure those are well coated as well. I use a paper towel to spread it all over. IME, cooking spray does not work as well as this in some baking pans.

MIL uses parchment paper or wax paper and that seems to work for her.

wendmatt
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
ps Good luck, it looks magnificent, post a pic when you are done.

happymom
08-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Just wanted to add one thing- once youre going to Michaels, buy some dowel rods and cake boards. I don't know if youve ever stacked cakes before, but the way to do it successfully is to stick dowels in the cake to support the upper layers. Also if each cake is on its own board, it will be MUCH easier to do.

logan's mom
08-19-2010, 01:09 PM
DO NOT USE WAX PAPER unless you want wax in your cake!!! Use parchment paper or cake release. You can also coat with crisco (I use a little Crisco on a papertowel), then a layer of flour, add a small scoop of flour, spread to all sides of pans by shaking, hold over sink/trash and tap to get rid of excess flour)

Dowels are a good idea but skewers will work too.

Here are pics of DS First birthday cake that I made. Just relax you can do it!

marie
08-19-2010, 02:17 PM
DO NOT USE WAX PAPER unless you want wax in your cake!!!

If there is wax in the cake, it certainly isn't noticeable. My mother has been using wax paper for her cakes for 30+ years and no one has ever mentioned noticing wax. :shrug:

I use either parchment or wax, whichever I have on hand.

g-mama
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Just wanted to add one thing- once youre going to Michaels, buy some dowel rods and cake boards. I don't know if youve ever stacked cakes before, but the way to do it successfully is to stick dowels in the cake to support the upper layers. Also if each cake is on its own board, it will be MUCH easier to do.

Okay, I have skewers, so I'll use those.

Are you saying I should have a cake board the size of each of the three layers? If I have the middle cake on a board, do I place the cake - on a board - right on top of the bottom layer, before frosting?

lil_acorn
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
i don't think skewers are enough; the dowels are large enough to provide some support.

Sweetum
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Wax paper.

good luck!
:yeahthat: Grease with butter then flour. Put the wax paper or parchment paper on the bottom (sides not required) and then butter and flour again.

happymom
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Okay, I have skewers, so I'll use those.

Are you saying I should have a cake board the size of each of the three layers? If I have the middle cake on a board, do I place the cake - on a board - right on top of the bottom layer, before frosting?

Is each of the tiers going to be a 2 layer cake? If so, each tier is pretty heavy. If you stack without dowels, the lower tier might crack under the pressure. The dowels provide support. I've never used skewers- theyre pretty skinny, so I hope that works.

I like using cakeboards under each tier, so yes that would mean having different size boards. Although technically you could just buy the biggest size boards you would need and cut down for the smaller tiers. I have actually only stacked cakes covered in fondant, which makes it easier in many ways. In thos cases, yes I put the cake with the board right on top of the layer underneath it. But nothing got messed up because its fondant, not buttercream.

In any case, the way you want to do it is to frost each cake tier by itself. Then place the bottom tier on whatever platter you will be using. Put in dowels. Add next tier. Put in dowels. Add last tier.

You will see that when you are lifting each cake to place it on the tier, it is so much easier with a cakeboard.

Heres a link that may be helpful-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaCSW78ybc

I hope I'm not making this more complicated than it has to be for you. I have made many stacked cakes, and it took me a long time to figure out all the little tricks that make it so much easier.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if I can help.

g-mama
08-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Okay, some more questions for you cake making gurus:

1. The party is at 11am on Saturday. If I am making the cakes this afternoon, do I freeze them until I frost them?

2. Can I frost (buttercream, not fondant) the cakes on Friday evening, or will it harden up and be dry by Saturday?

3. Once it's frosted, should I let it sit out or refrigerate it overnight?