PDA

View Full Version : Update: am not lunar freak, am actually gestating elephant

sste
08-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Update: 40 weeks tomorrow. Full moon has come and gone! I think I am having an elephant and it is going to be another 6-12 months. I am now rec'ing DAILY twin comments and am starting to not want to leave the house it is so hard to be continually friendly and polite in response. Well, at least I can hang out on the pregnancy board for longer . . .
-------------------------------

I was holding out huge hope that because DS came at 38 weeks the new DC would not come any later. Well, I am 38.5 and my near-prophetic OB told me not this week.

When we met with our doula she said that there is the highest amount of labor/delivery and especially water breaking without major contractions a few days after the full moon. DH and I laughed over that when she left. Then, I went and looked up DS, who was born when my water broke suddenly, no contractions . . . yes, two days after the full moon. My OB then confirmed that our hospital ramps up a bit around the full moon, as that has been their observation too (esp. with water breaking).

I am now just praying for August 24-26 . . . .

elektra
08-19-2010, 02:10 PM
I just checked the lunar calendar and my babies were not lunar babies, BTW. I was expecting different!
DD was born at 38 weeks and DS was born at 39. Maybe you have just a few more days too!

sste- I just tried to PM you, but your inbox is full.

sste
08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Just cleared my pm box out. I guess the lunar thing does not affect some people at all or probably more likely to affect if the full moon is closer to 38/39 weeks versus let's say 36 weeks. I thought it sounded ridiculous at first. And I am still not clear if it is has been conclusively established but both doula and ob were quite on board with this theory of an uptick in births at the full moon. I guess it has to do with gravitational pulls. Storm activity apparently also increases births.

I am ready to start baying at the moon if that would move things along . . .

BigDog
08-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Very interesting! My DS was born at 38 weeks, but I just checked and it wasn't after a full moon. I'm now 37 weeks with DC2 (2cm dilated, 70% effaced) and can't imagine making it to 38 weeks at this point. If I do I'll be shocked!

Good luck to you!

luckytwenty
08-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Neither of my kids was born on a full moon. Now there will be a full moon when I am 37 weeks and my c-section's scheduled at 38.5...I kind of hope that full moon stuff isn't true! My past experience was that 38 weeks is great, 37 can mean a somewhat more difficult early infancy period.

swissair81
08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Very interesting! My DS was born at 38 weeks, but I just checked and it wasn't after a full moon. I'm now 37 weeks with DC2 (2cm dilated, 70% effaced) and can't imagine making it to 38 weeks at this point. If I do I'll be shocked!

Good luck to you!

Why would you be shocked? Dilation doesn't mean much. I am 1.5 cm dilated, 80% effaced & the baby dropped so low that I feel like I have a bowling ball between my legs. Yet I will be 38 weeks on Saturday (this nearly 2 weeks after my doctor's partner told me she'd be surprised if I make it another 2 weeks.) Frankly, I just give up. Before I'm due would be really nice.

Sste, let me know when you plan to go out howling. I may just come join you. It expresses how I feel- perfectly.

marymoo86
08-19-2010, 06:41 PM
You got me curious. Just checked and the full moon in Oct is on the 23th a week before my due date. Will be interesting to see if I go early!

Kestrel
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM
My mother is a post-pardum nurse, and they actually schedule staff differently around the full moon.

swissair81
08-19-2010, 07:13 PM
My mother is a post-partum nurse, and they actually schedule staff differently around the full moon.

I worked LDRP (L & D & postpartum) & we did not schedule differently according to the moon.

citymama
08-19-2010, 07:26 PM
I heard that too - DD1 was a full moon baby, DD2 was a week after the full moon (last quarter).

Roni
08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh, boy. The full moon is on the 24, when I will be 38 weeks, and school starts on the 25. That could be interesting. Both of my girls were late, but I hadn't dilated this early with either of them.

swissair81
08-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm 38 weeks tomorrow & I don't have to wait for the full moon. Really. (Especially since MY doctor- you know the one that I switched hospitals for- is on call all weekend. Pleeeease?!)

bostonsmama
08-20-2010, 10:29 AM
That's both exciting and disturbing. It's not like I ever wanted to go early, but there's a full moon 4 days before my EDD, so I'm wondering/hoping if I'll go into labor 2 days before my due date. That would be neat! I just keep telling DD to hold out until after Thanksgiving or come well enough before that I can get home and eat a turkey dinner. ;)

OKKiddo
08-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Neither of my children were born on a full moon. My oldest was born in Dec. 06 and the full moon for that month was on the 5th...but he was born on the 14th. My water broke on it's own, no contractions and he was born when I was exactly 39w1d. My youngest was born June 08 and the full moon for that month was on the 18th but he was born on the 2nd. My water broke on it's own that morning, with contractions but I didn't feel them (I had an irritable uterus with him)...what was really weird was that when he was born, I was exactly 39w1day again! I'm now expecting our 3rd (newly expecting and it was a surprise!) and I'm curious to see what's going to happen this time around. :)

daisymommy
08-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Just wondering why you would actually want to go into labor early at 38 weeks? There are many benefits to a baby not being born until a full 40 weeks, the biggest being respiratory and lung problems (even when the lungs are fully developed).

And FWIW, with all 3 pregnancies I was walking around at 4-5 cm for an entire month before going into labor. Crazy, but true!

AnnieW625
08-20-2010, 11:41 AM
DD1 was due on a full moon (April 15), but was born on April 4th a crescent (first quarter). DD2 was born on the morning of April 29th and the full moon for April was the 30th. DD1 was born at 37 weeks and 6 days (I confused BH with the real thing because my OB had told me I was 4/1/2 cm. four days before, so drs. thought my labor had stalled and so my water was broken); with DD2 my water broke on it's own at 38 weeks 6 days. DDs were fine both times.

BigDog
08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Just wondering why you would actually want to go into labor early at 38 weeks? There are many benefits to a baby not being born until a full 40 weeks, the biggest being respiratory and lung problems (even when the lungs are fully developed).

And FWIW, with all 3 pregnancies I was walking around at 4-5 cm for an entire month before going into labor. Crazy, but true!

My DS was born at exactly 38 weeks and had terrible jaundice. They sent us home and set us up with a wallaby, but after a few days his levels just went higher so we had to return to the hospital and he was put on light therapy for several days. It was a painful experience for us as new parents, so hoping that (me) and DC2 can wait it out a few more weeks and hopefully spare any complications this time around.

sste
08-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought 38 weeks and beyond was full-term without increased risk of complications - - no one ever suggested to me that DS1 was early at 38 weeks. In fact, I seem to remember reading somewhere that 40 weeks was somewhat arbitrary and that other countries use a different due date (??). Maybe I have been misinformed.

Anyway, I would like to deliver now because I am hot, miserable, and will miss the school cut-off if this drags on much longer!

swissair81
08-20-2010, 12:04 PM

First of all because 38 weeks is term. Secondly, if baby comes by itself it is not considered early. Obviously, I wouldn't do anything to make the baby come sooner, but if the baby comes I will be more than happy. I had a 36 weeker & a 38 weeker already & both of them came when they were ready & they were perfectly fine.

I certainly wouldn't try to do anything to make the baby come before 40 weeks, but I can dream of deliverance.

Fairy
08-20-2010, 01:06 PM
DS was born 13 days before the full moon, so basically at new moon on its way to waxing crescent, when my water broke one day before his planned c-section. However, I can see a scientific explanation for the full moon thing. The moon has a huge impact on the Earth in many ways. The tides are the most obvious example. We're just a big ole bad of water and soft tissue, so I can see the moon having pressure impacts on us, too. Just a thought. Interesting stuff!

sste, I hope you go soon!

brittone2
08-20-2010, 03:38 PM
My midwives (two different practices...birth center and a HB MW) swear that the moon does affect things, and storms as well.

On one of my prental visits I was in for a visit just after a big (by NC standards) snowstorm. 8 inches I think?

The birth center midwife had 4 of 5 mamas deliver within 24 hours. There was a full moon right around that time too. 2 is usually a busy night for them.

sste
08-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Update . . . or really lack of news.

elektra
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought for sure you would have given birth by now!
Sex?
Spicy food?
Pregnancy massage?

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2010, 04:36 PM
AS one who goes to right around 42w you have my sympathy. It helped that with ds2 I assumed I'd be late so the waiting was much, much easier!! I'd have been floored if I went sooner than 41w- I wouldn't have been at all emotionally prepared for that. :)

GL!!!!!!

Beth

Indianamom2
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
I've gone to 41+ weeks with both kids and I know how you feel. But just remember, it honestly can't go on too much longer now. You'll make it....and you'll miss all those kicks and jabs and the rolling and acrobats someday.

Hang in there. You CAN do this and you WILL make it.

BigDog
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I completely feel your pain! I'm closing in on 39 weeks, and have been 3cm dilated, 80% effaced for what seems like ages now. So much for that darn full moon! I hate going out because even my biggest maternity tops make me look like Dora, and everytime I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror I wince. I've had a permanent grimace on my face for weeks now! I really hope you go soon!!!

luckytwenty
08-30-2010, 07:03 PM
I hope it happens for you soon! Not sure if this is universally true, but it seems like my friends with more "fully cooked" babies also ended up with super easygoing babies. (Hope that's true for you, in any case!)

swissair81
08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Someone asked me today when I am due. I told her September 4th. No need to get into little technicalities.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Someone asked me today when I am due. I told her September 4th. No need to get into little technicalities.

Ouch. I'm sorry! I saw an acquaintance on Sat. and had I not known she was very, very pg a few weeks ago I would have looked at her pp body and figured she was like 6-7m pregnant. I have blocked out that phase of my looks. No idea how long it lasted!

Beth

swissair81
08-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Honestly she's very unobservant. I'm still wearing maternity- but like 4th month maternity. I could easily be just a tad chunky.

Roni
08-31-2010, 08:11 AM
I missed the full moon, too. I am 39 weeks today. I tried to convince myself that I would be late, as I was with the other 2, but I was supposed to be having a c-section this week. Now that I'm not, I still feel like the baby is supposed to come this week.

luckytwenty
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Honestly she's very unobservant. I'm still wearing maternity- but like 4th month maternity. I could easily be just a tad chunky.

Didn't you just have a baby like a week ago?? Man, I hope I'm looking only 4-5 months pregnant a week or two PP!! In the past I still looked pretty knocked up for about a month, then all of the sudden, the night sweats (and weight loss) began.

Still, good answer!

swissair81
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
Didn't you just have a baby like a week ago?? Man, I hope I'm looking only 4-5 months pregnant a week or two PP!! In the past I still looked pretty knocked up for about a month, then all of the sudden, the night sweats (and weight loss) began.

Still, good answer!

10 days ago, but yeah. I'm thin to begin with, so I show early. Maybe that would be further advanced for you. I was all freaked out last week because I had no night sweats- only edema (my ankles looked like an 80 yo) & I was beyond freezing. So weird.

ilfaith
08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
I think the baby's just waiting until September because sapphires make a nicer birthstone than peridots.

luckytwenty
08-31-2010, 01:48 PM
Swissair, I also have that showing early issue. And now at almost 8 months, people act like I'm a freak because I look, apparently, 10 months!! When all the weight's in your belly and you still are "thin" otherwise, apparently you look like a circus freak.

I'm sure the sweating will start soon--it wasn't right away for me, but I had c-sections. I just remember waking up feeling gross every morning between the leaking milk and sweat!!

Roni
09-01-2010, 08:34 AM
I think the baby's just waiting until September because sapphires make a nicer birthstone than peridots.

That's what we were thinking about our baby, too, especially if it's a girl. We need to get my mother a new birthstone "bootie" for her Nana necklace, and I told her today that it looks like she's getting a sapphire. She has three May (emerald) and already 2 August (peridot), and one October. I guess this baby wants to be special, and not just one of many green stones.