PDA

View Full Version : Birth control and breastfeeding

wendibird22
08-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Anyone take a combo pill while breastfeeding?

I was taking the mini pill and am considering an IUD. While I'm making up my mind, my mid wife suggested I switch to ortho lo since DD2 is 8mos and eating solids. She said at this point supply is well established and that's the main concern with combo BC.

Curious if anyone else has done this and whether you noticed any changes in supply.

luckytwenty
08-19-2010, 03:05 PM
I took the mini pill and didn't like it--we eventually just switched to condoms. I didn't know the combo pill was safe when they start eating solids.

DrSally
08-19-2010, 03:08 PM
I thought about it, but waited until I weaned DD at 2 yo b/c even if it doesn't affect your supply dramatically DC's age/stage, the effects of the hormones on the baby are still unknown.

wendibird22
08-19-2010, 03:48 PM
...even if it doesn't affect your supply dramatically DC's age/stage, the effects of the hormones on the baby are still unknown.

This is from Kellymom:

Combination contraceptives
It's recommended that any estrogen-containing contraceptive be avoided until baby is at least six months old AND after baby is well-established on solid foods.

Milk supply: Estrogen-containing contraceptives have been linked to low milk supply and a shorter duration of breastfeeding even when started when baby is older, after milk supply is well established. Not all mothers who take contraceptives containing estrogen will experience a low milk supply, but these unaffected mothers appear to be a very small minority.

Safety: Both progestin (progesterone) and estrogen are approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in breastfeeding mothers. See below for additional information on side effects related to lactation.

DrSally
08-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I read the above too. I should have stated that it's still beyond *my* personal comfort level, and DD was very near weaning anyway. Also, the insert on my BCP says "not for use by BFing mothers", so maybe they're just CYA, I don't know.

Dr C
08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
In my experience most of my supply issues have come after the kids start to sleep through the night... so around 8-9 months. So at that age, for me, I would not switch to the combo OCP... because I have enough supply issues to begin with! But your situation may be different. Why not just get the IUD? I had one after DS and loved it.

ShanaMama
08-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Why not just get the IUD? I had one after DS and loved it.

This is what I was thinking. I'm on my second & should be signing up to get a commission from the company based on how much I push it to people!

wendibird22
08-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Why not just get the IUD? I had one after DS and loved it.

Well, I'm stuck on a few things...
1. It's easier to quit the BCP if I don't like the side effects than having an IUD removed.
2. I'm having trouble deciding between Mirena and Paragard.

Additionally, my ob/gyn office is a scheduling nightmare most of the time so even if/when I decide to get an IUD it could be months before they can fit me in and so I need something between now and then and my midwife really thought it best to stop the mini pill and switch to something more effective.

I am leaning towards getting it done because I like the thought of not having to think about BC for 5-10yrs. That right there sounds like heaven and worth whatever side effects I might encounter.