PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with me? Potential health issue? UPDATE

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 02:29 PM
I just turned 28 and ds will be 2 this weekend. The last couple months I have been exhausted. I started doing a new bootcamp about 2.5 months ago, i'm running about 6 miles a week plus alot of other various exercises while in class. I'm in FL so it's obviously very hot and sucks the energy right out of you but even on days i don't workout i'm still tired. By the time ds goes down for a nap around 1pm I am absolutely done for, some days having to actually take a nap myself (most of the time i feel guilty doing this so i try not to). Since my strollerfit class ended in Feb I have gained 15 lbs bringing my weight loss goal up to needing to lose 25 lbs. I have lost nothing since I started this bootcamp, in fact I gained 3 and there i'm holding.
Last month I went back on birth control, this is month 2 and i'm 2 weeks in and already have my period again, not sure what thats about. Last but definitely not least I have NO sex drive, this is definitely causing a strain between dh and I. I am so exhausted by the time I fight ds in going to bed that it's all I can do to stay up til 10.

To review, symptoms are
no weight loss after watching what I eat and bootcamp 3 days/week
Absolutely exhausted
No sex drive
Irritable most days with everyone and everything

What the heck is going on with me? Does this sound normal or is something wrong? What direction should I go dr-wise? I already discussed the sex drive and weight loss and she wasn't concerned, told me to watch my calories and exericise which i'm doing and it's not helping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SO I just heard back from my dr and all my blood work came back normal. Now I just feel crappy and have no answers. The only other thing I can think of is going off my birth control. I just went on it 2 months ago and the end of the pack was yesterday so i'm done now. I thought of trying a different one and while I may go ahead and get the Rx for one I think i'm gonna stop for a few months at least and see what happens. I think maybe the exhaustion thing started around the time I went back on bc, maybe the weight will budge too. I'm on Loestrin24fe and some people are reporting some of these issues in online reviews. Ugh, not that I wanted something to be wrong with my blood work but to have an answer to fix things would have been nice.

maestramommy
08-19-2010, 03:17 PM
:hug: I remember being very frustrated and posting here after I worked out for 1 month and lost nothing (running 4 days a week). A dietitian friend helped me tweak my diet, and that made a huge difference. Basically I cut out all alcohol and salty snacks/foods like ramen:p I started losing immediately. It has slowed down somewhat, and sometimes goes up and down a little, but I know that is because I'm getting sloppy again on my eating.

As for fatigue, I get up at 5ish to work out, and after a month of this I was EXHAUSTED. In fact, I took a break, like 4 days maybe? Just getting up 45 minutes later for a few days in a row made a huge difference. Nowadays though, I'm burned out by the time the kids go down for nap, and I don't think it's because I'm working out. I think it's because they are exhausting and I need school to start!:p

It's possible that your BC is causing some of your symptoms, including the weight issue. I know I gained a couple of pounds that never went away when I was on BC (this is before I had kids).

PunkyBoo
08-19-2010, 03:37 PM
I agree with PP, it could be the bc pills, those are all symptoms. Other things that come to my mind: pregnant? I know lots of people who have gotten preg while starting/ switching bc pills. Also, I'd ask to have your thyroid levels checked. I didn't know I had thyroid issues until I was TTC Punkin and didn't need medication for it until I was pregnant.
HTH!

catpagmo
08-19-2010, 03:38 PM
What about your thyroid? If you haven't had it checked recently, that might be something to look into. It also sounds like you're doing a lot of working out, and that could be it, too.

I'm tired just reading that you run 6 miles a week and do bootcamp and other classes. :)

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 03:43 PM
What about your thyroid? If you haven't had it checked recently, that might be something to look into. It also sounds like you're doing a lot of working out, and that could be it, too.

I'm tired just reading that you run 6 miles a week and do bootcamp and other classes. :)

The running is all part of the bootcamp class, 2 miles 3 days a week. There are days where i'm mostly walking the 2nd mile too. That is my only workout, an hour in the morning 3 days/week. No other classes.

I thought about the thyroid too, is that something my ob tests me for or do I need to see someone else for that?

pantone292
08-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Thyroid was what popped into my mind too. It's easy to check with a blood test.

maestramommy
08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I thought about the thyroid too, is that something my ob tests me for or do I need to see someone else for that?

I had a thyroid test done by my PCP. It's very simple, one of the boxes that you can check on a blood screen.

catpagmo
08-19-2010, 03:47 PM
The running is all part of the bootcamp class, 2 miles 3 days a week. There are days where i'm mostly walking the 2nd mile too. That is my only workout, an hour in the morning 3 days/week. No other classes.

Your OB can test for it, but I would see an endocrinologist. IME, they are much more thorough.

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 03:53 PM
I just called and made an appt with my PCP bc my ob doesn't do it, my ins won't let me see an endo without a referral so i'll start there for now. I'm not a fan of dr's but if this is fixable and going to make me feel better I need to try. If not, well I guess my 2 yr old is just running me ragged.

daisymommy
08-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Thyroid or hormone levels out of whack (which can be caused by birth control pills too).
FWIW...When I was on hormone based birth birth control (I tried pills, patch, shot, & implants)--they all made me feel so bad, and my sex drive was so far gone--as in nonexistent, couldn't bring myself to bed) that it caused major problems in our marriage--to the point of needing counseling to prevent divorce. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I went off the BC to TTC, and felt like a new woman! I could never go back on anything knowing how it makes me feel, personally.

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Thyroid or hormone levels out of whack (which can be caused by birth control pills too).
FWIW...When I was on hormone based birth birth control (I tried pills, patch, shot, & implants)--they all made me feel so bad, and my sex drive was so far gone--as in nonexistent, couldn't bring myself to bed) that it caused major problems in our marriage--to the point of needing counseling to prevent divorce. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I went off the BC to TTC, and felt like a new woman! I could never go back on anything knowing how it makes me feel, personally.

I thought about the bc too but I just started it last month and I was feeling like this before I started it so i don't think the bc is causing it. If only it was that easy. I struggled with the decision to go back on it bc of the weight issue but my periods were so heavy that I had to. My periods used to be fairly light. Having a baby certainly wreaks havoc on a body, geeeez.

lorinick
08-19-2010, 04:20 PM
How long have you been this tired? I would have your PCP run all the normal blood work up. And your sure your not pregnant?

There are times when I'm so tired I think there has to be something wrong. I get all the blood work up and start feeling better. Sinus kill me and make me feel exhusted and really bad. That maybe another issue.

dogmom
08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Have you seen a nutritionist? Often what we think is a healthy diet is not, and women in general skimp on solid proteins. I've had a couple of friends just unable to lose weight because they were eating so few calories and working out so much it sort of send their body into starvation mode. Also, since I have now idea what you BMI is, it would help to confirm that your weight goals are realistic.

MartiesMom2B
08-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Are you having any other digestive issues such as constipation or the diarreah? Your symptoms remind me of my good friend's before she was diagnosed with Celiac's disease. You'd have to go see a gastro doctor to find out if you have it.

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Have you seen a nutritionist? Often what we think is a healthy diet is not, and women in general skimp on solid proteins. I've had a couple of friends just unable to lose weight because they were eating so few calories and working out so much it sort of send their body into starvation mode. Also, since I have now idea what you BMI is, it would help to confirm that your weight goals are realistic.

No I haven't seen a nutritionist. I talked over my diet with my bootcamp instructor and she thought maybe I wasn't eating enough so i've been trying to eat smaller portions with a protein and veggie and have healthy snacks like fruit in between. As far as my weight goals I would like to be 3 lbs under my pre-pg weight, i'm at 140 currently and i'm 5'3, I want to get to 115 but honestly i'd probably be happy at 120.
My goal last year was to get back into my pre-pg jeans which are like 26/27's and that didn't happen, I was close though since i was down to 126ish. Right now it's not even in my realm of possibilities!

K-Bear
08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
You said your periods are now heavy? Do you get even more tired during that time of the month?

I also have heavy periods and was feeling tired, more so when my period was about to start and throughout. I finally had a checkup with my doc about a month and a half ago. Turns out I was anemic. I started taking iron supplements and instantly noticed a difference in my energy level. I'm not getting tired anymore! TMI ahead - today was the first day of my period and I wasn't even tired today! I try to walk 2 miles in the morning and in previous months when my period started, I would skip my morning walk on my first cycle day because I was too tired. Didn't even cross my mind to skip this morning because I was not tired in the least bit.

You should go to your doctor just to get a checkup and get the expert's opinion, but in the meantime try to get more iron and see if that helps with your energy levels.

longtallsally05
08-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I'd say in addition to checking for pregnancy and your thryoid (TSH) levels, I'd test for anemia. If you aren't getting enough iron, or not enough vitamin c with your iron to help you absorb it, then you might be anemic => exhausted. Take your prenatal vitamins just in case! Actually, every woman of childbearing age should be taking PNVs just in case of pg, b/c the neural tube forms before most women discover they are pg. Good luck!

Babymakes3
08-19-2010, 05:22 PM
I didn't think about anemia, my mom is anemic so it's a good possibility I guess! That would explain being tired and yes I get much more tired when I have my period, in fact I stayed in bed yesterday and didn't go to bootcamp I was feeling so out of it.

longtallsally05
08-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Drink some OJ when you take your PNV; it will help you absorb the iron.

K-Bear
08-19-2010, 06:13 PM
start taking iron supplements then. Strawberries are also a good food to eat to absorb the iron. Another food with iron is watermelon.

MSWR0319
08-19-2010, 07:18 PM
This sounded like me 6 months ago ( well not the exercising part! ) but the exhaustion,no sex drive, need for naps,etc. I chalked it up to my son not sleeping well since birth ( he's almost 2) but finally went in when things were getting strained in the bedroom. Turns out my thyroid was off. Heavy periods are also a sign of low thyroid which can then lead to anemia making it worse. I feel much better now that vie started taking the medicine!

MamaKath
08-19-2010, 07:27 PM
The things that come to mind for me would be:
pregnancy
thyroid
depression
anemia
dehydration
celiac's
diet/nutrition
apnea or lack of sleep (do you snore?)

Getting a blood panel done would help rule out some of those pretty quickly. Others might need more testing.

tiapam
08-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Everything you have written screams thyroid to me. It explains pretty much all of your symptoms. I would insist on a *full* panel of tests, not just TSH. Also, test results may not match symptoms early on or ever. Finally, please be aware that a lot of doctors are poorly trained in this area of medicine. You have to be your own advocate, do your own research, be really well informed. Just the fact that your doctor is NOT CONCERNED (!) about your nonexistent sex drive is a bad sign, IMO. Mary Shomon 's website is a good place to start:

http://thyroid.about.com/

HTH. If you (or anyone else) want to join a BBB autoimmune disorder Yahoo group, you can PM your email address.