PDA

View Full Version : OMG, DD and DS ripped DD's bedroom door off the wall

HIU8
08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I don't even know what to say.

So now we have to finish removing it (it's still on via a nail at the top hinge). We can hopefully save the door, but the molding on the opening to DD's room has to be removed and redone (there is a huge chunk broken off). So not what I wanted to deal with right now.

HonoluluMom
08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
All I can say is . . . wow!:47:

HIU8
08-19-2010, 02:53 PM
School starts on August 30th. I am so looking forward to that date!

I feel bad for DD and DS b/c they have been home with me for the last month. I work PT--can't afford a sitter for 25 hrs a week right now. So I work, they do a dvd, we play or go do something, come home I work again (they entertain themselves in my office drawing etc....). But, that doesn't excuse the destruction they caused.

bubbaray
Um, wow. Like, HOW??

This thread is useless without pictures.... LOL

LarsMal
OMG- how did they do it?

KrisM
08-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Yikes! Yes, pictures would be needed here!

HIU8
08-19-2010, 03:02 PM
A few years ago DH had put one of those rubber pieces btween the door and the frame so they couldn't get their fingers caught. It loosed the top hinge somehow (thanks DH). DD and DS were slamming DD's door and somehow the bottom hinge came loose, the nails bent and the entire hinge is still on the door but no longer connected to the doorframe. They both have been punished for slamming doors in general (they are strong little buggers). I didn't think they could actually pull the door off, and here they did it.

The battery on my camera is charging. I'm posting pics of this and one other thing in the lounge when I can today. Unbelieveable week so far!

LarsMal
08-19-2010, 03:07 PM
A few years ago DH had put one of those rubber pieces btween the door and the frame so they couldn't get their fingers caught. It loosed the top hinge somehow (thanks DH). DD and DS were slamming DD's door and somehow the bottom hinge came loose, the nails bent and the entire hinge is still on the door but no longer connected to the doorframe. They both have been punished for slamming doors in general (they are strong little buggers). I didn't think they could actually pull the door off, and here they did it.

I had visions of them swinging from it, at that same time...like mine do! :bag

HIU8
08-19-2010, 03:09 PM
They may have when I wasn't looking :innocent:

maestramommy
08-19-2010, 03:18 PM
GASP! Was it rickety to begin with? Were they swinging on it? You have some strong kids!

HIU8
08-19-2010, 03:19 PM
strong kids. and a house I wish was built better.

wendibird22
08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Stop feeding them Wheaties!

You may get the prize today for best BP!

HIU8
08-19-2010, 03:49 PM
OYE :shake:

BabyMine
08-19-2010, 04:03 PM
All I can say is . . . wow!:47:
:yeahthat: Just wow.

WatchingThemGrow
08-19-2010, 04:24 PM
And I'm imagining your DD kicking the dangling door with her new Tsukis, lol. Hey, just remember your new haircut and outlook. :D

HIU8
08-19-2010, 04:28 PM
This trumps everything else. They destroyed a piece of the house. I can't believe it. My kids are maniacs.

HIU8
08-19-2010, 08:54 PM
No pics. It's fixed. Here is what happened. There were 3/4" screws holding the hinges into the wall. They supposedly were not biting into anything in the door frame (all buy 2 were like that). So when DD and DS were slamming the door open and shut they just loosened things more. My dad (my handy fix it man--did I mention that DH is just not handy at all--replaced all screws with 1 1/4" so they would bite. all is well. The door shuts completely for the first time in 3 years (it hasn't shut all the way in that long--thought it was warped though).

niccig
08-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Ahhh, so your kids aren't super strong door breakers - mystery solved.

We had the same problem with DS's door, the screws weren't biting anymore and DH used bigger screws. Well, after a while, those did the same thing - must be all the slamming that happens over here too. :rolleye0014:

I go to an indep. hardware store when I need to get an answer. They told me to get a paper plate and put wood glue on it. Take a handful of either wooden matches or toothpicks and roll them in the glue. Poke matchstick or toothpicks into the screw hole until its full. Let dry. Cut off excess matchstick/toothpicks that stick out of the door frame. Then you can put a screw into the hole and it will hold. Works like a charm and has been fixed for over 2 years. I was so proud of fixing it myself.

HIU8
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow, I have never heard of that, but if it works, don't knock it. not the method I would have used b/c I didn't know about it. I probably would have gone to home depot and gotten wood putty and filled the holes, let dry and then redrilled and inserted the screws (my dad is really good at building and repairing things--these are things he has taught me).

waiting to see how this holds up and whether I will eventually need to take it a step further (I'm going to share the toothpick and glue method with my father--sounds like it works the same as wood puddy).