PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else work from home with baby at home?

citymama
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I work from home part-time, and have a 3 month old DD2. She is a wreck on the days when DH watches her. Even with a full tummy, it's like she smells me or more likely hears me on the phone and goes nuts.I thought we had a good system where I would have some milk pumped but could also just take as needed breaks during the day to nurse her. Well, obviously, milk is not all she wants from mama. Our normally calm and mellow and easy-to-get-to-sleep baby is just a wreck, howling and shrieking. It's not like DH is not a caregiver for her - he is - but most of the time it is when I am close at hand. I guess I didn't realize how much comfort she took just by my being around! She does like it when he puts her in the sling - that's pretty much his trump card.

Unfortunately we live in a small 2 BR apartment, so it's kind of hard for me to be too far away from her. Also, I really hate pumping when I can nurse her so easily, but I guess that might be part of the confusion/heartache for her. DH takes her out for part of the day, and I guess I could work at a coffee shop but that would be hard with all the conference calls.

Any suggestions for me?

luckytwenty
08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
I worked part time from home when my oldest was a baby, really from birth until he was 22 months, at which point I began preschool.

He was a very good napper. He took 4 hours of naps a day. (Went from 2 to 1 very early, maybe by 8 months.) He also went to bed at 7 pm every night. So I was able to work nights and naptimes and one weekend afternoon when DH would watch him, and I did about 25-30 hours a week that way. Yet I still felt like I was pretty much a "SAHM." It was very nice...of course by the time I had a second, that situation became impossible and I eventually had a 4 hour a day nanny and then went back to full time gig.

I set my own hours, though...this wouldn't have worked if I had to deal with regular conference calls etc.