PDA

View Full Version : Is it November yet?

BabyMine
08-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I am so sick of seeing political commercials. The commercials are getting really heated and I am tired of seeing 4-5 of them in a row. All they do is complain about the other person but they never get around to explaining what they want to do and why we should vote for them. The party debates were ridiculous. I thought I heard one of them say " I know you are but what am I". Over 2 more months more. UUUGGGHHH:banghead:

BabyBearsMom
08-20-2010, 09:52 AM
This is why everything I watch has to be on Tivo so I can fast forward through the commercials. Sorry you have to watch that stuff!

mommylamb
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm sure you must be totally inundated in Florida, with both close Senate and gubernatorial races. On the bright side (ok, the bright side for me, but I don't have to sit through the commercials), they're both really interesting races.

LadyPeter
08-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm asking the same question, but it's because I'm due in November!

I was thinking about political commercials the other day, and how they wouldn't be nearly as effective if logic and debate were required courses in high school. I mean, most ads run something like this:

"While in office, Senator Johnson never once supported a law stating that it's mean to kick puppies. (Cue pictures of children playing with puppies and ominous music.) Can the average, hardworking, non-puppy-kicking American let this continue? Vote for so-and-so, and say no to puppy kicking."

There are about 95 things wrong with this, that become immediately apparent with a little logical thought...but most people walk away thinking "Senator Johnson hates puppies. I like puppies; therefore I can't vote for him."

Sigh.

BabyBearsMom
08-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I'm asking the same question, but it's because I'm due in November!

I was thinking about political commercials the other day, and how they wouldn't be nearly as effective if logic and debate were required courses in high school. I mean, most ads run something like this:

"While in office, Senator Johnson never once supported a law stating that it's mean to kick puppies. (Cue pictures of children playing with puppies and ominous music.) Can the average, hardworking, non-puppy-kicking American let this continue? Vote for so-and-so, and say no to puppy kicking."

There are about 95 things wrong with this, that become immediately apparent with a little logical thought...but most people walk away thinking "Senator Johnson hates puppies. I like puppies; therefore I can't vote for him."

Sigh.

There actually was an ad like that in Maryland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7wjJyMDUH0

BabyMine
08-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm sure you must be totally inundated in Florida, with both close Senate and gubernatorial races. On the bright side (ok, the bright side for me, but I don't have to sit through the commercials), they're both really interesting races.

It is very interesting but it's also frustrating. It was so sad to watch the Meeks/Greene and McCollum/Scott debates. All they do is bash one another. The 2 wealthy individuals (Greene/Scott) just blame the other candidate becasue they really don't know how to answer simple questions. I like how Crist broke from the Republicans for several issues. The Republicans are scared that Scott will win becasue he is ultra conservative and they don't think he will play with them. Every time Greene's commercials come on I can't stop starring at his eyebrows becasue they freak me out. The races are very close and every time they do a poll it only separates them by a couple points. I hope McCullum wins for the Republicans and Alex Sink wins for the Democrats then wins for Governor. I hope Crist wins for Senate becasue I like the way he broke from the Republicans on several issues even though he was a Republican at the time.

mommylamb
08-20-2010, 07:02 PM
It is very interesting but it's also frustrating. It was so sad to watch the Meeks/Greene and McCollum/Scott debates. All they do is bash one another. The 2 wealthy individuals (Greene/Scott) just blame the other candidate becasue they really don't know how to answer simple questions. I like how Crist broke from the Republicans for several issues. The Republicans are scared that Scott will win becasue he is ultra conservative and they don't think he will play with them. Every time Greene's commercials come on I can't stop starring at his eyebrows becasue they freak me out. The races are very close and every time they do a poll it only separates them by a couple points. I hope McCullum wins for the Republicans and Alex Sink wins for the Democrats then wins for Governor. I hope Crist wins for Senate becasue I like the way he broke from the Republicans on several issues even though he was a Republican at the time.

I think Sink has a good shot, even though most of the polling is showing it as leaning R. Certainly no guarantee, but it could certainly happen. The Senate race is crazy though. I really hope you don't end up with Rubio. One DeMint is enough. For all the excitement, the choices kind of stink there.

BabyMine
08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I think Sink has a good shot, even though most of the polling is showing it as leaning R. Certainly no guarantee, but it could certainly happen. The Senate race is crazy though. I really hope you don't end up with Rubio. One DeMint is enough. For all the excitement, the choices kind of stink there.

I really hope we don't either. I vote against anyone that Jeb Bush endorses. Even if it's a Dem - even though I know that's never going to happen. Sink came out with a really funny commercial a couple days ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QwbNordDwM
I'm scared that since we have the RNC in our city that it's going to really swing to R. I hope it doesn't.
The more I get involved with politics the more it frustrates and saddens me.