PDA

View Full Version : New Facebook privacy cr@p

citymama
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Facebook Places is here. Time to change your privacy settings again:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/archives/218655.asp

I also noticed new settings under Ad Privacy. Go to Account Settings and then Select Facebook Ads and you can change settings to "no one."

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 05:45 PM
The places thing doesn't bother me, since either you or a friend has to check you in.

When I went to the Facebook Ads, my setting was already "no one." I wonder if I had set it before and don't remember? I can't imagine the FB default would be "no one" as opposed to "everyone in the world with a computer". :)

purpleeyes
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Facebook Places is here. Time to change your privacy settings again:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/hottopics/archives/218655.asp

I also noticed new settings under Ad Privacy. Go to Account Settings and then Select Facebook Ads and you can change settings to "no one."

Thanks for posting this! I had heard about the places thing from this link:

http://lifehacker.com/5616395/how-to-disable-facebook-places

but I didn't know about the ads. The lifehacker site has a nice little video to walk you through how to fix your privacy settings. Its not hard to do, but it nice to see it done.

JBaxter
08-19-2010, 07:04 PM

citymama
08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
The places thing doesn't bother me, since either you or a friend has to check you in.

Are you sure about that? FB has been telling me about the whereabouts of my MIL and other tech unsavvy friends with smartphones, which makes me wonder whether there is an automatic setting that is the default somehow.

I'm still fuming about the fact that there's no way to disable telling all my friends when I comment on someone else's post or write on someone's wall. The other day a friend of mine sent me a message about a response I wrote to a totally unrelated person's comment - no connections at all between the two friends. "citymama commented on urbanbuddy's comment [full text of original comment here]." What's worse is that friend 1 could see friend 2's original comment in her friend feed, even though they aren't friends and have supposedly protected their status updates. Same thing happens with photos; if a friend comments on someone's photo, I can click thru and see other peoples' entire albums, even though I am not their FB friend. (I actually have it so I select who gets to see my pics, not who doesn't get to.)

Anyone know how to get around this comments privacy question?

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Are you sure about that? FB has been telling me about the whereabouts of my MIL and other tech unsavvy friends with smartphones, which makes me wonder whether there is an automatic setting that is the default somehow.

The article you linked to said that. I haven't gotten any updates on where people are, and I have a lot of friends who wouldn't mind it. That's all I'm basing it on though. :) Here's what the link you posted said:

In theory, simply not checking in at a location -- either via the updated Facebook iPhone app, or through the service's mobile site -- would ensure your whereabouts remain unknown. But Places also lets your friends do the checking in for you. You can be "tagged" as being in a location by a friend who's also there.

I don't have friends who would think it was oh so funny to check me in some place.

I'm still fuming about the fact that there's no way to disable telling all my friends when I comment on someone else's post or write on someone's wall. The other day a friend of mine sent me a message about a response I wrote to a totally unrelated person's comment - no connections at all between the two friends. "citymama commented on urbanbuddy's comment [full text of original comment here]." What's worse is that friend 1 could see friend 2's original comment in her friend feed, even though they aren't friends and have supposedly protected their status updates. Same thing happens with photos; if a friend comments on someone's photo, I can click thru and see other peoples' entire albums, even though I am not their FB friend. (I actually have it so I select who gets to see my pics, not who doesn't get to.)

Anyone know how to get around this comments privacy question?

I think you can change whether or not people see your posts, but I'm not sure. If you go to Privacy Settings. Got to "things I share". The first option is "Posts by me". Change it to friends only. So in theory your friends will still see YOUR post, but not the original person's post if they also have their setting set to "Friends Only." Not everyone does, people often have it set to "friends of friends".

Same with photos. Some people have it so "friends of friends" can see their photos and albums...some people have "Everyone". So that's why you'd be able to see their albums. There have been times where I've seen a friend comment on a photo, and out of curiosity (nosiness!) I want to see the photo, but I click and I can't see it because the third person has their albums set to private. So it's not necessarily a glitch that you can see random people's photos, some people just don't care, or haven't figured out FBs crazy privacy pages.

ETA: p.s. - thanks for posting the original information. :)

citymama
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
TwinFoxes - d'oh, you're right re Places, making we wonder about my MIL! You mean she *knew* she was doing that?

Re Privacy settings, I do have those changes in place and you're right, others may not. But regardless of my settings for my own posts, FB will include my comments on other (less guarded) friends' photos and status updates. There used to be a way to keep this off other peoples' feeds, but there doesn't seem to any more.

katydid1971
08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks made the changes.
citymama this won't solve your problem but it will help it if you go to "privacy settings" and go to "customize setting"s and go to "can see wall posts by friends" change that to "only me" it will still show what you write on other people's walls but they won't be able to see what others write on yours. If that makes sense. HTHs

DrSally
08-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank you, I reviewed my privacy settings.

arivecchi
08-19-2010, 10:40 PM
I think you can change whether or not people see your posts, but I'm not sure. If you go to Privacy Settings. Got to "things I share". The first option is "Posts by me". Change it to friends only. So in theory your friends will still see YOUR post, but not the original person's post if they also have their setting set to "Friends Only." Not everyone does, people often have it set to "friends of friends".

Same with photos. Some people have it so "friends of friends" can see their photos and albums...some people have "Everyone". So that's why you'd be able to see their albums. There have been times where I've seen a friend comment on a photo, and out of curiosity (nosiness!) I want to see the photo, but I click and I can't see it because the third person has their albums set to private. So it's not necessarily a glitch that you can see random people's photos, some people just don't care, or haven't figured out FBs crazy privacy pages.
:yeahthat:

Is this new app like foursquare, where you have to voluntarily share the info? If so, it's no biggie.

BTW, I like to know where my friends are. Hey, BTW, TwinFoxes is hanging out @ Hooters! :hysterical:

I love foursquare!

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 10:44 PM
:yeahthat:

Is this new app like foursquare, where you have to voluntarily share the info? If so, it's no biggie.

BTW, I like to know where my friends are. Hey, BTW, TwinFoxes is hanging out @ Hooters! :hysterical:

I love foursquare!

Tee hee! Where are my wings, woman?

It is like Foursquare. I like Foursquare, because I get to see what people are up to. :)

arivecchi
08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
It is like Foursquare. I like Foursquare, because I get to see what people are up to. :) Me too! So and so is working out at midnight, so and so is at a bar at 11 am. It's so interesting! I'm nosy. ;)