PDA

View Full Version : Daily calendar or planner to record kid memories?

citymama
08-19-2010, 06:55 PM
My older kid is 4 and I realize that I have pretty much forgotten the milestones crossed in the first 3 yrs of her life other than the big ones like walking and talking. I don't even know when she got her first tooth! I've heard that the best way to keep track of things kids do and say is just marking them on a daily calendar. I'd prefer to do so in written, archive-able than electronically or on a wall calendar. Is there a daily/weekly planner or diary of some kind that you use to keep track of your kids' development? Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

infomama
08-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I use Chronicle on my iTouch but I have also used other methods like a five year diary ( where you only get a couple of lines to report on the day) or I have made notes in Picasa ato elaborate on the photos I have taken for occasions. Chronicle works best for me.

baymom
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
I use one that they sell at Hallmark. It's the size of a normal wall calander and comes in blue, pink and green. There are a couple pages of milestone type stickers in the back, but I don't usually use them. I'm on my sixth year now and have always used those. Are very simple, really, but it does the job. I did an individual calendar for each DC just their first year and now write about both in just one. I think they are about $12.

citymama
08-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Thank you both for the great suggestions.

I use Chronicle on my iTouch but I have also used other methods like a five year diary ( where you only get a couple of lines to report on the day) or I have made notes in Picasa ato elaborate on the photos I have taken for occasions. Chronicle works best for me.

I searched for Chronicle on iPhone Apps and the only one with that name was by "der heckser" - the #1 app in Austria and Germany. Is that what you use? Looks more like a "what historical event took place this day in history" type app. LMK! Thanks.

infomama
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
No. I use this one....
Www.slidetorock.com

wellyes
08-19-2010, 08:31 PM
I have a blank book that I write into for DD. It's nice because it's completely freeform - sometimes I make a list ("10 works DD knows at age 12 months"), sometimes it's a letter to her, sometimes I'll tape in a memento from a trip. It' also nice because if I get lazy and skip a few months, I can come back to it without feeling like there is a ton of blank space.

I also have a tumblr blog which is just kid photos, videos, kid quotes and the occasional link to a favorite book. It's a way to share with grandparents, super easy to update and I can have it published as a book by blog2print in a couple years.

MomToOne
08-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a blank book that I write into for DD. It's nice because it's completely freeform - sometimes I make a list ("10 works DD knows at age 12 months"), sometimes it's a letter to her, sometimes I'll tape in a memento from a trip. It' also nice because if I get lazy and skip a few months, I can come back to it without feeling like there is a ton of blank space.

That's such a great idea

MacMacMoo
08-19-2010, 09:05 PM
I find that I use Facebook more as a minimalistic journal, with the ocassional thought provoking thing. I used: http://ws-dl.blogspot.com/2009/09/archivefacebook.html to archeive my stuff so i can reference what I write without having to click "older posts" a gazzillion times.

I also use my normal calendar. We don't plann a lot of things in advance, so our calendar normally would stay blank, so every week or so I'll go back and write things of interest in retrospect.

ThreeofUs
08-19-2010, 09:06 PM
You know, I just use a wall calendar. I note all milestones, cute things said, atrocious behavior (for bribery later, doncha know! ;) ), awesome achievements, etc., on a large wall calendar with big squares for each day. It works and it's not something I'll lose as it's on our breakfast room wall. I save each calendar (with big "SAVE!"s on the outside).

Not high tech, but it really works.