PDA

View Full Version : Just out of curiosity...anyone ever try out for American Idol?

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Or any other reality show? I've been reading a former employee's Facebook updates today, she's trying out for AI in SF. I seem to remember she sang in college or something, but it still seems pretty random! Has anyone here ever dipped their toe in the reality waters?

The only one I would be interested in is Amazing Race. I think it would be really fun with DH. I also would have been into those PBS reality shows like Frontier House and 1900s House...at least in theory, when it came down to not having modern conveniences I'd probably balk. :)

BabyMine
08-19-2010, 07:49 PM
If I was younger and could sing I would love to try out for AI.

I would love to be on Date my Mom and help her find someone. She hasn't had a serious relationship since 1979.

I really want to do Extreme Makeover for my body and house.

I live my reality show.

Kymberley
08-19-2010, 07:51 PM
My sister auditioned for AI, but the auditions were really wierd, and I think she got to sing all of 2 lines of a song with a group of people. She was upset (and rightly so, she has an AMAZING voice) that the judges were picking groups of people that were tone deaf on purpose. Guess they have to have the awful ones for the first week.

elektra
08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I would try out if I could sing or had any singing ambitions.
But no, I have never tried out for AI or any other reality TV show. I am more of a behind the scenes kind of person anyway.
I would love to be on one of the home decoration shows too. Maybe "bang for your buck" if we ever redo our kitchen. ;)

I think Frontier house would be cool. Except it would be me who would be all amped to do it, and then DH would go along with it and then he would be the one doing all the manual labor while I complained about not having hot water or whatever.
I know a few people who have tried out. A current FB friend is currently trying out for The Bachelor. I would never do that show!

LarsMal
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM
AI- no! I would be one of the ones they put through just to make fun of!

If SYTYCD had been around in my younger years I probably would've tried out. Odds of me going to Vegas- slim to none, but it would've been fun!

I haven't tried out for a "reality" show, but I did make it to the second round of auditions for Deal or No Deal when it first came out.

DH and his best friend sent in an application/video for Amazing Race- years ago- before I was even pg with DS (hard to believe that show has been around that long).

I have thought about trying out for Survivor.

katydid1971
08-19-2010, 07:57 PM
I haven't been on a reality show ever but two friends growing up were/are on one. One was on Project Runaway but was the first one eliminated that season and the other is on one that is being filmed right now (it hasn't aired yet and I don't know when/if it will) because he married into a famous family (the show is mostly about his BIL).

Kestrel
08-19-2010, 08:06 PM
Well, I guess I must be old...

I auditioned for "Star Search"... back in the "day"!

codex57
08-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah right. I'd only be able to make the freak portion, cept I'm under no delusion that my singing voice is any good.

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I think Frontier house would be cool. Except it would be me who would be all amped to do it, and then DH would go along with it and then he would be the one doing all the manual labor while I complained about not having hot water or whatever.

:rotflmao: That would be us too! DH would be chopping wood dawn 'til dusk, and I'd be in the "confessional" complaining my corset is too tight.

ilfaith
08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
I was too old for AI when it premiered, and by the time they raised the upper age limit, I was too old for that as well. Of course it was a moot point, since I can't really sing. My brother can, and did audition for one of the reality singing competitions a few years ago, but didn't make it past the first screen.

I did have a friend (DS's best man at our wedding) who came very close to being on Survivor. He had an amazing audition tape (which my best friend who happens to be a documentary producer, put together). They flew him out to California for the final round of interviews, but balked at choosing him when it was discovered he was highly allergic to all seafood (not such a good thing when fishing off the island was likely to be the only source of food). They actually liked him enough that they wanted him to be on the first season of The Apprentice, but since he pretty much already had his own NYC real estate empire (hardly on the scale of The Donald, but quite successful) he declined.

arivecchi
08-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I would go on Survivor so I could shed some pounds. :ROTFLMAO:

lkarp
08-19-2010, 09:36 PM
One of my neighbors was on Fear Factor and won. I didn't know about it until after it aired, so don't know what he had to do to win. He's a youth pastor at the church down the street -- I never would have guessed.

I, too, would love to be on the Amazing Race, but probably don't have a good TV personality. Would be so much fun though.

Melbel
08-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I have no real talent or desire to be on a reality type show. DH, however, was on college Jeopardy where he won twice. :applause:

Fairy
08-19-2010, 09:53 PM
I would go on Survivor so I could shed some pounds. :ROTFLMAO:

You have nothing to shed there, dude.

Fairy
08-19-2010, 09:55 PM
I would love to do Survivor. I need to be alot thinner and pray to God I don't have to deal with a (so called) food challenge, but that is a show I'm jonesin' to do. I'd also love to do The Mole or Celebrity Poker Showdown, but they don't do that show anymore.

citymama
08-19-2010, 10:09 PM
My neighbor just tried out for AI in SF! He made it to round 2. Since I am the only non-Amish person in America who has never seen AI, I'm not sure what this means. How many more rounds?

khm
08-19-2010, 10:13 PM
My husband worked (construction) on an Extreme Home Makeover. The owner of his company got 3 seconds on camera b/c he's wildy charismatic, but their portion of the work was done at night, so it wasn't even discussed or shown. At that time, there was even a secondary show that went over the makeover again in behind the scenes detail. Again, nothin'. They did feature the daughter's high school choir in great detail though. ;) It's the only EHM I've ever seen.

My BIL worked on another EHM a couple years later.

An acquaintances' daughter was one of the models on the fashion designer show where there are models? Not even sure what it's called. I think it was on cable (style network, maybe?) She apparently filled the "annoying, bratty, unlikeable" role. I never saw it.

My former bosses daughter was a candidate's (or whatever the girls are called) roommate who was interviewed extensively on a Bachelor season. She was edited creatively and seemed like an awful, vapid human being.

I'm obviously not a reality fan. ;)

I could possibly be persuaded to do one of the non-competitive HGTV / DIY shows. And, I ALWAYS look for that hottie from Yard Crashers when I go to a home improvement store. I'd so bring that dude home!! I'd looooove to have a What Not to Wear week, but I think it would be incredibly hard.

citymama
08-19-2010, 10:31 PM
My moment on TV came when my friend went on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" I was her phone a friend and I helped her answer a question that got her to $50K. :)

arivecchi
08-19-2010, 10:38 PM
You have nothing to shed there, dude. Clearly, you have not seen my in a bikini. :rotflmao:

I would love to do Survivor. I need to be alot thinner and pray to God I don't have to deal with a (so called) food challenge, but that is a show I'm jonesin' to do. I have always wanted to do Survivor too, but yes, I would not do so well on a food challenge....I don't even like escargots!

niccig
08-19-2010, 10:43 PM
No reality show desire here. AI would never take me, I can't hold a note, and I'm WAY past the max. age.
I do know several people that work on reality shows - audio, camera, or director. It's lot of very long days and great editing.

kijip
08-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Since I am the only non-Amish person in America who has never seen AI

I'm not Amish. You have some company. Aside from Dancing with the Stars on hulu I can count the number of episodes that I have seen of any reality show on 3 fingers. Not even 1 whole hand. The little I have seen scares me, especially having had the misfortune of watching an episode of Jersey Shore. What in heaven's name is THAT?!

mommylamb
08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
The only reality show I could ever imagine doing would be something on HGTV.

But I would be THRILLED if I ever stepped foot in the Cash Cab (that is, if they ever moved Cash Cab to DC from NYC. Fat chance).

My father tried out for Jeopardy back in the 80s and he made it to the final pool of potentials. The way they did it back then was that you had to play mock Jeopardy games with the other people trying out and then the winners play the winners and so forth until they have a final pool and then they radomly select like 30% of them for the show. He made it to the final pool, but was part of the unselected 70%. Too bad. My dad constantly swears if he gets trivia wrong, so it would have been funny to watch him mutter sh*t under his breath if he messed up.

ETA: And, I'm not Amish either and have never seen AI.

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 06:25 AM
My moment on TV came when my friend went on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" I was her phone a friend and I helped her answer a question that got her to $50K. :)
and you got ______ ? That's cool!

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Well, I guess I must be old...

I auditioned for "Star Search"... back in the "day"!
Did you sing or dance?

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 06:29 AM
I have no real talent or desire to be on a reality type show. DH, however, was on college Jeopardy where he won twice. :applause:
How fun!! How much did he win?

wendibird22
08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Nope. Like a few others here I was already past the age category when AI premiered. Plus, I have no delusions that I can sing that well. I mean, I sound fantastic in the shower and the car but I don't think you can recreate those kind of acoustics on a tv set.

I would love to be on Dancing W The Stars but that would necessitate me being famous or I would have loved to do that old show The Mole.

I would not do well on anything that required me to a)put out, b)eat random stuff, c)survive w/out a shower or electricity.

Roni
08-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Nope, but my brother was on Jeopardy many years ago. He won twice. The first time he was getting creamed but pulled it off in Final Jeopardy. We had a viewing party, and the immediate family already knew that he won, so it was funny when the room erupted in surprised cheers after he pulled it off.

AnnieW625
08-20-2010, 10:37 AM
No I haven't, but I have always thought that BIL's wife should have first tried out for Survivor (she would've put Jerri to shame) or later for the Apprentice (she would've been Omarosa's twin). She now has a two month old so I can't see her doing either anytime soon.

I tried out for Teen Jeopardy in 1993; the test was so hard that no one from our test session passed the test; some poor kid came all the way from Utah too! The questions were $800 questions from the adult show.

SopranoHennaDoc
08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
My sister auditioned for AI, but the auditions were really wierd, and I think she got to sing all of 2 lines of a song with a group of people. She was upset (and rightly so, she has an AMAZING voice) that the judges were picking groups of people that were tone deaf on purpose. Guess they have to have the awful ones for the first week.

My friend had the exact same experience. I've always wanted to audition for AI but it just doesn't seem worthwhile!

Seitvonzu
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
i'm always telling people i'd NOT be offended if they turned me into "what not to wear"-- i'd love to start fresh with 5000 dollars! :)

the home shows are neat too. and DH is always telling me i should go on wheel of fortune (my mother should go on jeopardy!)

boogiemomz
08-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Sign me up for an HGTV makeover. I drool over the "after" shots at the end of those shows. When we were house shopping I watched a few episodes of "My First House" or whatever its called, and not only did they always wind up in AMAZING homes, but HGTV gifted them an entire furnished room or something.

Never auditioned for anything, never wanted to. The idea of being on reality TV makes me queasy (unless I'm getting a serious makeover--home or me--in exchange).

Globetrotter
08-20-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a couple of friends who need to be on What not to wear, but I'm sure they would kill me if I submitted their names :D

I want that dude from Yard Crashers to find me in Home Depot, but alas, no luck yet. I even have my response all planned out :ROTFLMAO:

Or any of those HGTV decorating shows. DH says no way, but my yard would be the perfect "embarrassing enough for TV transformation" project.

Globetrotter
08-20-2010, 11:25 AM

Wow, that is cool! I would probably panic under pressure!

TwinFoxes
08-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Sign me up for an HGTV makeover. I drool over the "after" shots at the end of those shows.

When we were house hunting, both in LA, and then when we moved here we saw a couple of houses that were featured on HGTV shows. The one here was on "Designed to Sell." Well, hmm, I'm sure it looked good on TV. The fact that it was on the show was mentioned in the listing as if it was a benefit, but to me it made me think their house was kind of crappy, and they did a bunch of cheap fixes. And that's EXACTLY what it looked like. It had a small kitchen, so they moved the refrigerator into the dining room! Yeah, it made the kitchen look bigger, and I'm sure the audience thought "wow it looks huge now" but in real life you think "what the heck is the refrigerator doing in the dining room?"

They also had only redone a couple of the rooms, the kitchen and the master bedroom. The master bedroom was actually pretty cool...except they had converted the attic so the ceiling was very low. The rest of the house was still in it's former condition, except for maybe a coat of paint.

The odd thing was, the house was priced considerably more than houses in the neighborhood, as if just being on TV somehow made it worth more. It sat for months, and finally sold for a lot less than they asked.

Melbel
08-20-2010, 01:57 PM
How fun!! How much did he win?

IIRC, about $10K, not the full amount shown at least for college players at the time. He also loved getting various parting gifts every time the show re-aired. He was on the show before me met. In fact, I recall seeing him on the show, concluding that he represented my school well (was handsome and not a dork), but then changed the channel because I do not like Jeopardy. I never would have guessed I would end up marrying him or I would have watched the show!

MontrealMum
08-20-2010, 02:10 PM
I would not do well on anything that required me to a)put out, b)eat random stuff, c)survive w/out a shower or electricity.

:yeahthat:

I'm an HGTV junkie so I'd be up for any of those.

BabyMine
08-20-2010, 03:03 PM
I want that dude from Yard Crashers to find me in Home Depot, but alas, no luck yet. I even have my response all planned out :ROTFLMAO:

We say that everytime we see it. I have only seen a couple episodes of any shows that were filmed in Florida.

mommyp
08-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I've never tried out for any reality shows either. But I would love to a) get in the Cash Cab or b) be one of the diners who gets to eat and vote on Top Chef.

ilfaith
08-20-2010, 04:17 PM
I do have a friend from high school who was of Cash Cab, and another friend who will be on an upcoming episode of HGTV Bang for the Buck (to air in September).