PDA

View Full Version : No lunch program?

gordo
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
So DD is starting Kindergarten. It is 1/2 day so she brings her lunch and eats it at their extended day program. However, as I was reading through the school handbook I learned that there is no lunch program through 5th grade. In fact, students are allowed to go home for lunch. If students cannot go home for lunch you have to PAY to keep them at the supervised lunch period. They have to bring their own lunch but they can purchase milk. I don't know yet how much this costs, but it seems so ridiculous to me! You have to pay to keep them in their elementary school for the whole day?

Anyone have experience with this? While I know that school lunches are notoriously unhealthy, I have to admit that the thought of packing a daily lunch for DD for the next 6 years is daunting LOL It would be nice to have a fall back if I am lazy one day or late getting out of the house!

swissair81
08-19-2010, 10:07 PM
My dd's school sent a letter today that due to issues with the State Funding program, they are discontinuing the lunch program for this year. I'm kind of bummed, because I was counting on it for the immediate postpartum time. I guess I will have to be really organized.

The kids all stay in school for lunch though. I would be really upset if dd's school made us pay to keep the kids in school for lunch time.

kijip
08-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow. That is sad. Given that

Given that nearly 20 million school children in this country qualify for a free or reduced lunch and in many schools that is more than 1/2 the kids, I am really sad to see that districts are opting out or having to not have lunch programs. School food, while often not what a lot of parents here would choose to feed their kids is what a lot of kids have to eat for much of the day and much of the week due to poverty or due to neglectful parents.

gordo
08-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Wow. That is sad. Given that

Given that nearly 20 million school children in this country qualify for a free or reduced lunch and in many schools that is more than 1/2 the kids, I am really sad to see that districts are opting out or having to not have lunch programs. School food, while often not what a lot of parents here would choose to feed their kids is what a lot of kids have to eat for much of the day and much of the week due to poverty or due to neglectful parents.

I agree. There is a section on reduced fees and it says that a child will not be excluded from school or lunch for inability to pay but it does not say what it does for those students. Not sure if that means it waives the fee to stay at school for lunch or if it waives the fee and provides a lunch. I found out the fee is $225 for the year.

TwinFoxes
08-19-2010, 11:29 PM
I totally agree with PP, this is going to be really hard on some families. Is this public school? It's just shocking that any school in these times won't be providing free lunch. :(

DrSally
08-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow, that's bad all around--for the kids who can't pay and need subsidized lunch (hopefully something will be provided for them) and for everyone else who's parents work or have other things to do during the day!

niccig
08-20-2010, 12:56 AM
I agree. There is a section on reduced fees and it says that a child will not be excluded from school or lunch for inability to pay but it does not say what it does for those students. Not sure if that means it waives the fee to stay at school for lunch or if it waives the fee and provides a lunch. I found out the fee is $225 for the year.

Let me make sure I understand this.

If you can't have your kids come home for the lunch hour to eat and then go back to school for afternoon classes, you have to pay $225 for them to stay at school for that lunch time. So, you're paying for what? Supervision? There is no lunch to buy.

If you can have your kids come home to eat, you don't have to pay $225

pinkmomagain
08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
We also have a very limited lunch program in the elementary school. I think you can chose from maybe 3 dif sandwiches that are brought in from elsewhere (there is no cafeteria kitchen in the elementary school). I don't know anyone who has taken advantage of this...most everyone brings their own lunch to school.

However...go home for lunch? Pay to stay at school? That's crazy.

eta: In our sd, the bus drivers are the lunch monitors.

sste
08-20-2010, 09:25 AM
I am convinced that "free" public school is going to be increasingly edged out by a public/private hybrid model where public schools apply a variety of charges or suggested donations.

The suburban public schools in my area charge a variety of "fees" which apparently add up to a non-significant sum. Even worse, though I suppose more understandable, the better public schools in the city routinely solicit donations ranging from 1,000-3,000 from the more middle class parents. If I stay in the city, I will need to allocate $2,000 donation plus I am assuming at least $500 in various fees.

What you are describing is incredible - - and as a working mom I would be very upset and I don't understand how sah parents are going to manage the back and forth and feed lunch all in a tight time frame either!!

egoldber
08-20-2010, 09:32 AM
At our school the cafeteria is staffed with paid employees who help to manage the recess/lunch time. Racess/lunch time is typically the teacher's break and mid day planning time and they are not (typically) in the cafeteria with the kids. So if the school does not have the money to staff those positions, I can see where they would charge for lunch time supervision to be able to pay for those employees. And they can get away with it because it is "optional".

So is everyone in walking distance? I can actually remember my older siblings walking home for lunch every day in elementary. I don't know what happened with kids whose parents both worked or were from single parent homes. That didn't even really occur to me at the time (I was not elementary age myself then....).

I am convinced that "free" public school is going to be increasingly edged out by a public/private hybrid model where public schools apply a variety of charges or suggested donations.

And this is the kind of thing that makes me angry. The divide will continue to grow between districts with wealthy parents who can afford large $$ donations and those that that can't.

jerigirl
08-20-2010, 09:34 AM
So IF DD went home everyday for lunch and returned for the extended day program, there wouldn't be additional fees?

sste
08-20-2010, 09:39 AM
It IS awful. I think California may be the model for what is to come nationally. My understanding is that parents there in affluent school districts in CA routinely fund major sectors of the school (and many parents go private).

In my state, apparently the state is just flat out not paying the money it is obligated to pay to the school districts. No one can get the money out of them!

DrSally
08-20-2010, 09:46 AM

The suburban public schools in my area charge a variety of "fees" which apparently add up to a non-significant sum.

Our elementary school is going to be charging us what amounts to over $1000/year for a bussing fee b/c we live within 2 miles of the school. However, there is no safe way to walk to the school, as it's across a very busy 4 lane road and no stoplight or crossing guards. In addition, if I have another one at home sleeping, wouldn't it be nice to just meet DS at the busstop right outside our house?

khalloc
08-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I attended a private school from K-6th. My parents packed my lunch every day. You could only buy milk there.

When I went to a public high school for 7-12th my parents still packed me a lunch every day. I remember not wanting to eat the food in the caf. I did buy a drink though.

Having that experience, I am inclined to want to pack my kids lunch the entire time. Unless they request otherwise, but DH cant wait to send them to school with lunch money LOL. I just keep thinking about how awful the food there will be.

I cant believe an elementary school would send kids HOME for lunch? WTF? Do they bus them home? Not really sure of the logistics of this...

egoldber
08-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I believe the OP is saying that even children who pack their lunches will have to pay the fee. It is paying for the supervised time because it is optional.

My siblings walked to school, then home for lunch, then back to school and then home.

mommylamb
08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
This makes me so sad. Because you know this is just one of many cuts. Public education for all is such a critical pillar in society. I understand the drain on state and local budgets, but it kills me that this is where the cuts end up. I have nothing helpful to add to this conversation. As a WOHM, I would not be able to have my child come home for lunch. As a citizen, I would pay higher taxes so that kids could have lunch at school. And, I'll still be saying that after my child is no longer school aged.

gordo
08-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Ok - here it is straight from the handbook:

"Students in grades 1-5 are given the option of returning home for lunch or participating in the fee-based supervised program. Only students registered in the paid program may remain for lunch. Students remaining at school bring a lunch from home and provide their own beverage. Daily milk service also may be ordered."

No - not everyone is walking distance from the school. I am so curious as to how many kids actually go home for lunch. Where I work, we pay lunch/recess supervisors since it is the teacher's break. They are either parents or teachers who receive a stipend, but children do not pay for this and there is no option to go home.

For 1/2 day Kdgt my school fees were only $85 which isn't bad. I don't pay for the bus so I don't know what it would cost. Bus is only free if you live more than 2 miles from school or have to cross a busy street (as determined by the Board of Ed) to get to school.

gordo
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
No -they do not bus students home. They have to be picked up and brought back. 3rd grade and up are allowed to walk.

And to clarify, there is no option to buy lunch at school. Everyone must bring a lunch.

swissair81
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
It IS awful. I think California may be the model for what is to come nationally. My understanding is that parents there in affluent school districts in CA routinely fund major sectors of the school (and many parents go private).

In my state, apparently the state is just flat out not paying the money it is obligated to pay to the school districts. No one can get the money out of them!

In my district, millage is being edged up every year. It is on the ballot every single election (oh and there are special school board votes that they try and hide from the people who will have to pay for the results of their voting) & people vote for it, since it looks like it is good for us & the public school says they might have to start closing schools if they can't suck us dry through taxes. What's worse is that our district is not even considered good & they are closing schools anyway. I know of at least 2 schools that are not opening this year.

groundhog74
08-20-2010, 09:56 AM
That does seem a little odd. Growing up we were allowed to go home for lunch if we want, but most kids stayed. There was no food service, everyone had to bring their own lunch.

gordo
08-20-2010, 09:59 AM
So IF DD went home everyday for lunch and returned for the extended day program, there wouldn't be additional fees?

It doesn't pertain to Kdgt. My daughter will be going to 1/2 day kindergarten. I will be sending her with a lunch and she will be bussed to the school where the extended day program is and will eat there. There is no extra fee for lunch for kindergarten. If she were in 1st grade - she would go to school in the morning and then go home for lunch and return for her afternoon classes in order for there to be no additional fees. But since I work, she has to stay at school.

jerigirl
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
It doesn't pertain to Kdgt. My daughter will be going to 1/2 day kindergarten. I will be sending her with a lunch and she will be bussed to the school where the extended day program is and will eat there. There is no extra fee for lunch for kindergarten. If she were in 1st grade - she would go to school in the morning and then go home for lunch and return for her afternoon classes in order for there to be no additional fees. But since I work, she has to stay at school.

Ok. This makes more sense to me.

GonnaBeNana
08-20-2010, 12:41 PM
This is so sad. I only have two left in school right now, 1 in public HS and one in private pre-K-8th grade school. Our city does not provide bus service to either of our high schools. We have two and there are almost 3000 students between the two. One of the schools has adequate parking, the other has none, other than the paid parking garage downtown. Buses for elementary and middle schools costs .85 each way/each day. We live exactly 1 mile from our public elementary and middle schools. I can't see paying $8.50 a week for my kid to ride two miles! I can buy the gas cheaper. ALL parents are required to volunteer in some capacity; realizing that working parents can't usually be there during the school day. They get to volunteer for the winter carnival, turkey bingo, etc. This is just one of the reasons why my youngest is in private school. Public school meals are $1.30 for breakfast and $2.00 for lunch. Reduced prices are .30 and .40 respectively.

At my DD's private school, over half of the students are on at least a partial scholarship. Our school has been so blessed with many financial benefactors and no child is turned away for the family's inability to pay the fees.

Every family is required to volunteer there too. One of our biggest volunteer areas is at Fighting Sioux hockey games. Parents staff one of the concession stands, twice during the season. The arena pays our school good money to do this. There's no overhead for us, it's a great way to spend time with friends, and you get to see the game for free! We also sell coupon books once a year. They are produced by a school family, sell for $20 and provide a $10 profit per book. They are fantastic sellers because all the coupons are local and there's about 70 things in there that are completely free (no purchase required to redeem the coupon). Two years ago, we completely funded our new elementary age playground this way. Parent volunteers prepared the site and installed the playground. Our families maintain the grounds, help in the cafeteria and lunch room, chaperon field trips, help in the classrooms, etc. While we are small, we continue to grow and this family involvement benefits everyone. Our tuition is less because of the time the families donate, our children learn the importance of donating time and time management, and their education is a family effort and priority. I wish more public schools would do this. I know it's hard, but our kids only get one shot at a great education.

Beth

rlu
08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm still a bit agog about this. What are they going to do - kick the kids off campus when lunch starts if they didn't pay to stay? I am assuming they have a security guard or else how could they enforce this? (The school my sis was librarian for the last two years had 3 security guards yet had not had a librarian for the previous 8 years - her first year salary was paid completely by the PTO - her position was cut this year in order to keep one of the security guards).

Our school is fenced and the gates are locked during school (yeah, concerned about the fire safety aspect of that) so all campus ingress/egress is forced to go through the office. The school is asking for volunteers for lunch duty. They pay a few people ($8/hr) and the rest are volunteers (this is not just in the cafeteria but also on playgrounds for lunch recess).

School funding and "fees" are a huge topic deserving their own thread - here the PTA is very active and provides about $40k annually to supplement what the school gets from the district. The $40k last year provided the following: all field trips, teacher funds ($200-$300 per room), art/music programs (probably picking up the other $5k expense this year), assemblies, "positive behavior campaign", rugs for 8 rooms, physical ed equipment, misc. A separate PTA fundraiser paid for all software updates, computer equipment repairs, etc.

belovedgandp
08-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I must say it seems completely crazy, but in the end it probably is just a "justifiable" fee to cover the cost of supervision during that time. Insane though.

Lunch is just part of the day at our elementary. The kids are there for 7 1/2 hours which seems long to me with a 1st grader this year. I can't quite get my mind around the logistics of what is described. Our kids get 40 minutes in the middle of the days and that is their time to eat lunch and one of their two recess times combined.