PDA

View Full Version : How is it that ALL of the other babies can walk?

YouAreTheFocus
08-20-2010, 02:35 PM
DS is in daycare, in the infant room. There are 8 babies w/ Sept bdays, and 4 babies ~4 mos. Of the 8 Sept babies, DS is the ONLY one who can't walk (he can't even stand). They have all been walking for 1-2 mos. Now, I had no expectation that he would be walking by now, and if he wasn't in daycare I wouldn't even be thinking about it. It is just hard to see all of the other babies walking, week after week, making DS look behind. Also, the prereq for moving to the toddler room is being able to walk well. I don't want all of the babies to move up and have him left behind. And yesterday I heard from DH that they took all the walking babies outside to the playground to walk around, and DS was left with the 4 mos olds. Poor DS!

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Wait, you mean Sept. 09 babies? My June 09 baby can't walk, and he's 14 mos. Don't sweat it. Just love him :)

codex57
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
At that age, he won't even remember those other babies after a couple days of not seeing them. It's no biggie. Still waaaaayyyy early to be worried about his walking skills.

YouAreTheFocus
08-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Yes, that is what's crazy about it. When he first started, they said the babies move to the toddler room when they can walk well, usually 16 mos. Ok, sounds right. Apparently DS just ended up in a class of super-walkers. Personally, I think it's stranger that they can all walk, than that he can't!

Dayzy
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
My DS refused to walk until 17 months. It was tough because all his little friends were on the move, but now all I say is "SLOW DOWN!"

maylips
08-20-2010, 02:49 PM
That is crazy. My DS is an August '09 baby and isn't walking yet, and he even has a big sister he tries to keep up with.

You'll have many more opportunities to feel pressured to have your kid live up to other kids. Don't let this one trip you up. :)

Roleysmom
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Personally, I think it's stranger that they can all walk, than that he can't!

I do too. My September 1 birthday girl can't walk yet and doesn't look on track to walk anytime soon. Your little guy will walk when he's ready!

brittone2
08-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Totally normal that he isn't walking yet.

HEck, I worked as a PT in early intervention and my DS1 walked at a totally average 13.5 months. The normal range for walking is huge.

I think he's just in a super walker class!!!

codex57
08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes, that is what's crazy about it. When he first started, they said the babies move to the toddler room when they can walk well, usually 16 mos. Ok, sounds right. Apparently DS just ended up in a class of super-walkers. Personally, I think it's stranger that they can all walk, than that he can't!

Yeah, your kid is normal. The other kids are just a bunch of freaks. :p

AnnieW625
08-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Wait, you mean Sept. 09 babies? My June 09 baby can't walk, and he's 14 mos. Don't sweat it. Just love him :)

:yeahthat:x1,000! My DD1 was born in April and she could walk well at all until unassisted until she was 17 mos. old, so September. She did take some un assisted first steps at a park at 15 mos. old, but had no real interest in walking until she could do it unassisted. With DD1 I learned not to worry about what others kids were doing.

WatchingThemGrow
08-20-2010, 03:16 PM
:ROTFLMAO: BTW, OP, our DS is in the same position in the church nursery. All the other babies walk AND talk. All he does when he's dropped off is scream to the point that they think he's going to throw up. He's several inches taller than ALL the other babies too, so when he does get vertical, he's going to intimidate them, lol. I know how you're feeling, though. :hug:

maestramommy
08-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Agree with the pp. 11 months is WAY too early to start worrying. At that age I didn't even expect to see them stand up, let alone toddle off!

YouAreTheFocus
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM

:hysterical: Awesome, Codex. Thanks for the laugh!

maiaann
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
My DD3 born in July '09 (now 13 mo.) can't walk yet either. She has absolutely no interest in even trying. Crawling gets her around just fine. :thumbsup:

DD1 walked at 11 mo and DD2 around 14 mo. Don't rush the walking - once they figure it out it's A LOT harder to keep them out of things!

swissair81
08-20-2010, 03:50 PM
My ds didn't walk until 16.5 months. That is still considered normal. My girls walked at 13 & 14 months respectively.

catpagmo
08-20-2010, 03:57 PM
My DS just started to walk on July 4th, so he was 16.5 months old. Now he's 17 months and walking really well. I know it's hard, but try not to compare or worry too much. :)

Indianamom2
08-20-2010, 04:01 PM

:yeahthat: :hysterical:

My little guy was born July 17, 2009 and has taken a couple very small steps one time, last week. He's still not walking.

DD#1 walked a week before she turned 12 months.

Absolutely no need to worry.

GonnaBeNana
08-20-2010, 04:09 PM
My kids walked at 12.5, 13.5, 14.5 and 11 months respectively. I think the only reason the last one did it so early was because she knew I'd be crushed to see her growing up so fast!!:p I wouldn't worry at all. I work in our nursery at church and they all walk in their own time. Pretty soon, you'll be wondering why you wanted them to be that mobile!
Beth

edurnemk
08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
DS walked at 14 months, and I'm glad he didn't do it earlier! Life becomes more complicate once they get more mobile, :tongue5: He refused to ride his stroller, always wanted to walk in the opposite direction I wanted to go, and shopping or running errands became almost impossible for a few weeks. So enjoy this time with your non-walker.

I'm really surprised all those babies walk at 11 months.

Wondermom
08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
So what if the super freaks, I mean, super walkers move up first. Yours will rule the class of babies!

Really, though, they walk when they're good and ready. My first REFUSED to crawl, and insisted on "walking" by holding our hands starting around 9 months. His cousin, a few months younger, REFUSED to walk until she was about 16 months. Since she had 2 older sibilings to keep up with, we all thought she'd walk sooner. She used to stand straight up, completely unassisted, so we knew she had the leg muscles to walk. She just REFUSED. They all walk when they're good and ready.

crl
08-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I definitely agree with the freaks assessment. Lol. And I really, really hope dd doesn't walk early. I don't need another one to chase after any sooner than necessary.

Catherine

k_null81
08-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one worried about this as well. My boys will be 13 months tomorrow and only one of them has shown any sign of possibly walking in the the next couple of weeks possibly. I was at a party several months ago and their was 2 other babies at the party that were born within a couple weeks of my boys and they were already walking and at the time only one of my boys was crawling so of course for me being a 1st time mom I was a little concerned my boys were not on schedule which is completely not true. 9 months is just extremely early.

YouAreTheFocus
08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone, for agreeing that *my* baby is perfect and his classmates are the freaks! :rotflmao: LOL!

No, but seriously, you made me relax & laugh about it--thanks :)

pantone292
08-20-2010, 08:27 PM
I totally relate to worrying about this. I have an Aug '09 baby also in daycare and she isn't even close to walking or pulling up. I can't help but worry when I see other younger babies that are much more mobile. I think PPs are right though. There is a wide range of what's normal!

brittone2
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes, normal range is anywhere from 9-18 months typically.

scrooks
08-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Ok...my DS is a Sept 09 baby and is walking..very newly walking and not super well but our sitters DS, also a Sept 09 baby (10 days older than DS actually) is not anywhere near walking...the range on normal is huge so DON'T worry! And I will not take the comments that my DS falls into the previously mentioned "freak" category personally! :ROTFLMAO:

doberbrat
08-20-2010, 09:37 PM

:hysterical: Codex I think I love you

for the OP, feel sorry for their parents, not jealous. IMO there is NO advantage to having an early walker. they get into more trouble, fall more while they're younger, they're too short to hold your hand.....

catsnkid
08-20-2010, 10:46 PM
DS didn't walk until 13 1/2 months. We visited the month before with his cousin who is 2 months younger, he was walking well already at 10 months! But DS had more verbal skills.