PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Dansko

wendibird22
08-20-2010, 03:08 PM
So I've seen that quite a few people here have Dansko love. I'm in the market for some new shoes and have been looking at Danskos online. A few questions...

1. How's the fit? I'm usually a 6M and I have birks that are 35s.

2. Is there a difference between the Professional line and the others other than look? Do the different lines have the same features regarding support and comfort?

Nothing beats the comfort of my Birki sandals and I have one pair of Birki maryjanes, but I really need a fall/winter shoe I can wear to work with dress pants. I need something with good support as I have high arches.

jerigirl
08-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I own several pairs of the Professional style so I can only comment on those. I really suggest trying them on in person. The fit of different pairs can vary within the same size. You might have to try on several pairs of the same size to find a comfortable fit. The fit of the Professionals are unique in that your heel is supposed to come up some in the back when you walk. That might take some getting used to. I have heard some people say that the shoes (insoles) are too hard and uncomfortable. I don't find that to be the case. When I was working, I would wear my Professionals in the OR sometimes 12+ hours a day and my feet and legs always felt great.

swissair81
08-20-2010, 04:57 PM
I have narrow heels & I was told to size them down half a size. It took me a month of wearing them to 'wear them in'. The first month was absolute agony, but afterward wearing them was pure bliss. I have only worn/tried on the professional style.

AnnieW625
08-20-2010, 05:11 PM
I had my first pair of Dansko clogs for 8 yrs. and I loved them. I won them from Self Magazine the first year they did their exercise challenge. I wore them with khakis, and jeans. I am going to get another pair this fall at the next REI sale. I always have to size up in Dansko. I also have a pair of sandals (no longer made, but not the dowdy looking ones!) that I have had for 7 yrs. and I love them too. My least favorite Danskos are similar to these (top strap is different), but they are good for the office: http://www.zappos.com/dansko-brooke-black-nappa

SwissAir, Dansko makes Narrow sized shoes.

Globetrotter
08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I have tried all sorts of comfort shoes, but these are by far the best for my feet, even when I'm on my feet all day. It's like a foot massage! There are some cute ones out there.. I love the old Lolita sandals. I have the regular clogs, too, and they are very comfy though not very stylish :D

I wear double wides and these two styles fit me (in regular Dansko width) but otherwise I can't seem to find Danskos that fit :( Once you find a style that works for you, you should be okay with other styles within that .. (not sure of the term) collection?? They have a similar fit.

They do sell narrows in some styles, but those will still be roomy compared to regular narrows. Since they are hand stapled, the fit will vary slightly from one pair to the next!

wendibird22
08-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks all for the advice. I'll have to stop by the Walking Co next time at the mall (which is so rare) to try them on and figure out the best fit.

robinsmommy
08-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I do recommend trying them on in person. Two key points:

They are handmade and vary in size, even with the two shoes within a pair - a good saleperson knows this and will bring out different pairs of the same size if you ask, so you can find the best two for you.

Dansko's are a love/hate thing for some people. I have friends who SWEAR by them and wear little else. I, on the other hand, who never turn my ankles, would regularly wrench them in Danskos, stepping up and down curbs or stairs, usually. I never did quite sprain one, but I figured it was a matter of time and gave the shoes to a friend. I was also concerned about falling in them while carrying a child. Full disclosure, I never did learn to walk in high heels, so for me it probably has a lot to do with the heel height, but if you're used to Birkenstocks it may be an issue for you as well.

If they don't work for you, ask for some other recommendations at the Walking Co while you're there.